Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Full Beverage + BoB Food Service Coming Back to Domestic Economy Passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2021, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm

American Reintroduces Beverage Service as Customers Return to the Skies

Starting May 1, American Airlines will reintroduce full beverage service in all domestic premium cabins.
Starting June 1, beverage service, including canned drinks, juice and water, will begin in the main cabin.

Domestic Premium Cabin

• Beginning May 1: Full complimentary beverage service, including alcohol, canned drinks, juice and water.

Domestic Main Cabin

• Beverage service is currently provided on flights longer than 2,200 miles (approximately four hours or more).
  • Beginning June 1: Complimentary beverage service, including canned drinks, juice and water.
  • Later this summer: Full main cabin beverage service, including alcoholic beverage options, along with American’s popular buy-on-board food program.
Print Wikipost

Full Beverage + BoB Food Service Coming Back to Domestic Economy Passengers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2021, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
From the actual news release https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...4/default.aspx

Domestic Main Cabin

• Beverage service is currently provided on flights longer than 2,200 miles (approximately four hours or more).
  • Beginning June 1: Complimentary beverage service, including canned drinks, juice and water.
  • Later this summer: Full main cabin beverage service, including alcoholic beverage options, along with American’s popular buy-on-board food program.
Not sure why with a 1.5 month leeway they can't even pin down a date for food and alcohol to return, when airlines such as DL/AS can do so in 2 weeks. Even then, if they are expecting more people to be flying leisure during the summer, wouldn't you be rushing to get any additional ancillary revenue from those looking for a drink or snack before their vacation?
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by safari ari
From the actual news release https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...4/default.aspx

Not sure why with a 1.5 month leeway they can't even pin down a date for food and alcohol to return, when airlines such as DL/AS can do so in 2 weeks. Even then, if they are expecting more people to be flying leisure during the summer, wouldn't you be rushing to get any additional ancillary revenue from those looking for a drink or snack before their vacation?
I feel like they do this "late spring" "later in summer" thing a lot, but they tend to keep their word on it. Maybe they need to re-up the catering contracts or something and want to wait until later on to set a date based on loads/demand, etc. Who knows, just an idea.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 6:30 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
I agree I don't understand why DL was able to resume service much more quickly but it is going to take AA nearly a month and a half to resume.

As of right now canned drinks/juices are on request now in Y, and roughly 60-80% of time most are successful in getting those requests fulfilled. I predict this announcement will allow lazy FAs to get even lazier before June 1 as they can use this PR as a way to say "no drinks in Y until June 1" especially because the PR doesn't say how drinks are available upon request, but rather only on flights greater than 2200 miles.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 7:10 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
They're leaving a lot of money on the table here not bringing back buy on board/booze until later in the summer.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 7:43 pm

I've been watching these threads with anticipation. And sadly, they have added nothing to benefit my upcoming trip to Hawaii in June. You think they'd realize kids are better behaved on an 8 hour flight if you at least throw them some pretzels or a wrap with their juice. And I absolutely love packing meals for 5 while paying for PE seats as a plat. Really makes it feel like you're on the vacation you've been waiting 2 years to take...
Old Apr 19, 2021, 9:26 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
I wonder how much "turbulence" aka no cabin service due to "expected" rough air there's going to magically be on shorter 250-300 mile flights come June 1st.

I also wonder if the water bottle/orange juice cuplet service will return on shorter flights. Some of those intra-Texas and intra-Carolina routes (DFW-AUS/IAH, CLT-CHS/RDU come to mind) are awfully hard to get an upgrade on and it was nice to have something to drink after making a short connection, especially in the summer.
onanisland and Antarius like this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 4:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
So it sounds like the F service will remain as is with the exception of no drinks on demand or a few FAs telling you to go pound sand if you want a drink. Sometime later this year Y service will go back to what it was. That one actually surprises me but it nice to see it coming back because even as an EXP if I don't buy F I'm often not going to fly in F.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
CheAAp airline milking covid excuses and our tax payer survival cash. I want the international J service back like it used to be.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Does this mean we can start reusing our Barclay daily food/beverage credit?
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
It's nice that AA can follow DL. Looks like they can continue to be cheAAp by not giving me free drinks in MCE in addition to the ones they no longer give out in the admirals club. Hopefully I will be proven wrong, but I will continue to set the bar unreasonably low to not be disappointed.
Old May 5, 2021, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA PPro
We are scheduled for a MCE flight this coming friday. Can anyone comment on what beverages snacks are available right now?

also have a flight from DFW to BZE and wondering about that catering.

Thanks.
TF
Old May 5, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfizzle
We are scheduled for a MCE flight this coming friday. Can anyone comment on what beverages snacks are available right now?

also have a flight from DFW to BZE and wondering about that catering.

Thanks.
TF
currently there is no differentiation between coach and MCE except if you book an exit or bulk head seat for a few more inches of leg room.
FlyingEgghead likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
currently there is no differentiation between coach and MCE except if you book an exit or bulk head seat for a few more inches of leg room.
Right, no difference in food or beverage, but...
Most planes have a number of MCE seats (with extra legroom) that are not exit or bulkhead.
Old May 5, 2021, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Most planes have a number of MCE seats (with extra legroom) that are not exit or bulkhead.
Do they though? Does anyone know the pitch of these "MCE" seats? I ask as I sat in one once and to me there was zero difference in legroom between that and regular Y.
freeagent likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by enviroian
Do they though? Does anyone know the pitch of these "MCE" seats? I ask as I sat in one once and to me there was zero difference in legroom between that and regular Y.
There is definitely a difference, only an extra 2-3 inches in most cases, but it is enough for me to notice and my knees appreciate it. The sad part is that the MCE pitch is really just what normal economy pitches used to be not-that-long-ago, so really you are just avoiding the crazy ~31 inch pitch currently in Y. But I digress.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.