Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can't Check-In Online after Business ExtrAA Upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

Looking for any advice or reassurance at least that I don't need to worry. I have two one-way tickets tonight (for two different passengers) from MIA to SFO that were both upgraded from coach with a Business ExtrAA certificate; let's call them reservations A and B. The upgrades are confirmed for both A and B, and they were both in the same fare class when purchased.

For reservation A, I was able to check-in without any issues. For reservation B, I keep getting an error saying we need to check-in at the airport. I am seeing this error when attempting to check-in on the web as well as in the app. Today, I realized that the AAdvantage # wasn't added to reservation B, so I added it. Now, when I try to check-in on my computer, I am seeing a new screen that says I need to buy 500-mile upgrades to check-in (see screenshot below).

I have spoken to AA reservations, web support, and Business ExtrAA customer service and they all say the ticket is totally fine. But I have trust issues and am confused why reservation A had no issues but B does. Any ideas/thoughts?!
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Any thoughts here? The flight is in a few hours and trying to make a call on if we need to head there early or not.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 3:49 pm

I have not been able to check in online before with the BE upgrade, but that was in the day when a physical certificate was required. I don't know if that is the case now.

Also, on one occasion, meeting services booked me into first on an upgrade with an ineligible fare class (which I did not realize at the time). That took 30 or so minutes at the airport to resolve.

I would get to the airport a bit early.
mvoight likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by rotnkornkid
Any thoughts here? The flight is in a few hours and trying to make a call on if we need to head there early or not.
I would go to the airport early.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 6:06 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Is the reservation validated in R or C? It should be C but if it was looking for 500 mile upgrades, that suggests it might be in R.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 6:38 am

Programs: AA-EXP
I am curious about what happened with this last night, hope OP comes back to update
Old Apr 16, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Yes, looking for an update too as we have an MIA-LAX flight in two weeks with a Business Extra upgrade and want to know if this will happen too.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I had this exact same problem a few weeks ago. It took 30 minutes at the ticket counter at PHX to get it sorted.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Ok so just our luck this is happening on one of our tickets......for flight tomorrow, sigh...

ETA: Just for future reference, we had to end up buying the 2 additional stickers and then were able to check in online. The stickers have not been used obviously but still had to get them. We did it over phone then bought. We probably could have waited until airport but didn't want to hassle at airport and we will undoubtedly use the stickers anyway.
Uzzar likes this.

Last edited by miadukes; Apr 30, 2021 at 2:22 pm
Old May 10, 2021, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by miadukes
Ok so just our luck this is happening on one of our tickets......for flight tomorrow, sigh...

ETA: Just for future reference, we had to end up buying the 2 additional stickers and then were able to check in online. The stickers have not been used obviously but still had to get them. We did it over phone then bought. We probably could have waited until airport but didn't want to hassle at airport and we will undoubtedly use the stickers anyway.
Wasn't needed. The AAgent at DFW had no issue with a 2 separate BE upgrades from DFW-LAX. It only seemed to take slightly more time than normal check in.
So, I guess the only issue is online check-in
Old Jan 8, 2022, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
It only seemed to take slightly more time than normal check in.
I am having this same issue, and of course its stressing me out.

Wondering what you consider to be “normal check in” since other than an international flight I can’t recall the last time I went anywhere near the ticket counter! My order of check in would be: (1) app; (2) website; (3) kiosk; (4) ticket counter….
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Don't stress. It's a glitch that I've encountered about 50% of the time when using BXP1s. Online check-in doesn't work (demanding upgrade stickers), but the kiosk works fine. After printing from the kiosk you'll be able to pull up the mobile BP using the AA app.
BeantownFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 4:53 am

Just went to check in for my 6:20am flight tomorrow. My wife (who has no status and got split to her own record) had no issue checking in. For me it insisted that I buy 2 additional stickers if I wanted to check in (which I did to avoid having to get to MIA even earlier than 5:20am…). Hopefully they don’t get pulled but in any event this is an annoying system issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.