Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Admirals Club being only of big 3 to allow outside food/drink?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2021, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

I was flying United this week for the first time in several years, just using up some miles I earned form their credit card. I had a one-time pass to the United club so I used that in ORD.

Not knowing the different rules from the AA Admirals Club, I had a bag of McDonalds and a drink in hand as I entered and was quickly turned away and told that outside food and drink was not allowed in the club.

After doing a little research, I learned that AAL is the only of the big 3 to allow outside food and beverages in the club.

Personally, I am thankful that they allow it. It can be far more convenient to grab food in the terminal (and sometimes cheaper) and it is nice to have a quiet place to take your food.

I've heard some people don't like the sights and smells of all the food people bring in, however.

What are your thoughts on this?
Old Apr 11, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I don't think it is officially allowed, just not enforced in actually banning it.
cybdiver likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I don't think it is officially allowed, just not enforced in actually banning it.
Actually, it is officially allowed. IIRC, outside food used to be prohibited but that was lifted about 10 years ago once the ACs started selling hot food. I personally really appreciate the flexibility of being able to have a meal in the more quiet confines of the AC and this was something I would do regularly when I was commuting thru DFW years ago. Since the Delta SkyClubs generally have more substantial complimentary food offerings, I don't mind Delta's ban on outside food too much. But, it's frustrating when flying United and having to make a decision whether to use the United Club or get/eat a meal in the terminal. Admittedly, UA's lounge offerings have improved slightly over the past few years until COVID hit. Nonetheless, it's an AA policy that I really appreciate and I haven't seen too many issues with smelly outside food stinking up the ACs.

-FlyerBeek
chrisny2 and 1969cad like this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Thoughts? Well, here is one thing where Alaska is not in harmony with its new Oneworld partner
Old Apr 11, 2021, 2:56 pm

I think it's a real service to the paying members of the club. While the food offerings in the club were OK pre-pandemic (I like the hummus, pita chips, olives, cheese, soup, and guac) sometimes they get old if you visit multiple times per week. At breakfast time in particular the bagels are terrible bordering on inedible. Anyone who can call that rock of bread a bagel and retain any self-respect has never had a real bagel and cream cheese. If you tell me I can't bring in my toasted bagel or my Tortas Frontera soup anymore I won't be happy.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I do remember when AC changed the polocy regarding outside food. It was after 9/11 when AA stopped serving complimetary meals in domestic main cabin, least I remember that was one of the reasons given for the change of the policy at AC. Never bothered me before or after the policy change. Other people having outside food at AC never bothered me, I do not think ever noticed, come to think of it when somebody else eating at AC never occured to me to check if that person is eating the club offered food or having outside food.

I do remember discussion here on FT when the policy changed. I think some thought after the policy change there going to be an open picnic at AC because of people bringing food from outside and having a party at AC. But that never happened, leaset never saw anything resembling of that when I was at AC after all these years.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by bchandler02
Yes, it is allowed -- although not at LAX right now due to Covid:
Local ordinance doesn't allow outside food in the lounge.
This LAX-specific text actually establishes that it is normally allowed, through the doctrine of exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
It's good to know AA allows outside food. UC food is terrible. I'm shocked that they won't allow this. I have no problem with DL because out of the big 3, their lounge food is the best.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
it is surprising that today there are clubs that enforce such a policy--especially where loads of people have allergy concerns.

(personally i'm allergic to anything NOT made with mcdonalds chicken nuggets)
jhartvu and Sky Dreamer like this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 12:11 am

Programs: United 1K, Southwest Companion, Marriott Platinum Premier, National Executive
Earlier in the COVID era, UC dropped the rule (maybe unofficially) banning outside food.

Granted this was at a time when UC had very very limited items. It may have been reinstated now that "more substantial" food is being offered
Old Apr 12, 2021, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Prefer outside not being allowed. The smell from certain types of fast food can be bothersome. Plus, the mess that some pax can make also detracts from the atmosphere. Airport restaurants provide space for consumption of their products.
ESpen36 and BadgerProf like this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Prefer outside not being allowed. The smell from certain types of fast food can be bothersome. Plus, the mess that some pax can make also detracts from the atmosphere. Airport restaurants provide space for consumption of their products.
That can happen with lounge food too. I've seen messy tables before.
ksucats, BWISkyGuy and Flapjacks like this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sabre1041
Earlier in the COVID era, UC dropped the rule (maybe unofficially) banning outside food.

Granted this was at a time when UC had very very limited items. It may have been reinstated now that "more substantial" food is being offered
I'm glad you put that in a quotation. Even in the best of times, I wouldn't say it's substantial...
Old Apr 12, 2021, 4:10 am

Surely McDonalds lounge can be found elsewhere in the airport. Any seat that's vacant i departures
Old Apr 12, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I have no problem of ACs allowing outside F&B. I have taken advantage of this multiple times at various ACs across the US simply because there is a better selection outside the ACs to suit one's mood at the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.