Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award redemption SIN-KUL extremely expensive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2021, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I was just checking around to see which airline miles would offer the lowest price in this route. I have a healthy balance of both AA and BA miles. AA is asking for 17.5k per direction or 35k round-trip. BA is asking for 6k per direction or 12k round-trip. That's a massive difference! What's with the massive disparity in pricing? Anything cheaper than redeeming Avios then?
Old Apr 10, 2021, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
BA awards are distance-based, so with such a short hop, it prices out very inexpensively. There's not necessarily any rhyme or reason behind AA's pricing, but I'm sure that if you looked at a USA transcon, it would be extremely likely that AA would be cheaper.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
I was just checking around to see which airline miles would offer the lowest price in this route. I have a healthy balance of both AA and BA miles. AA is asking for 17.5k per direction or 35k round-trip. BA is asking for 6k per direction or 12k round-trip. That's a massive difference! What's with the massive disparity in pricing? Anything cheaper than redeeming Avios then?
AA awards are zone based. With the same AA miles could take a longer trip.
BA awards are distance based.

1 AA ff mile does not equal 1 BA avios. Earning rate can be different, but credit cards can transfer at the same rate.
For such a short trip (184miles) better to use cash. Or even take the trains if they are running. Or bus [5:15h]
https://howdoigo.asia/singapore-to-k...ght-bus-train/
A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 11, 2021 at 12:04 am
Old Apr 11, 2021, 1:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As mentioned before, that is a joy of a zone based award system - sometimes good value, sometimes not

Given that fares on Jetstar are from SGD23.50 (USD17.50) plus tax each way ( tax SIN-KUL SGD41.5 and SGD14.35 KUL-SIN ) , it would seem that the best value option would be just to buy a ticket and save miles/avios/points

Even 6000 avios would seem to be able to be better used than to save USD17.50 (taxes would still need to be paid on an award ticket)
Old Apr 11, 2021, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
As mentioned before, that is a joy of a zone based award system - sometimes good value, sometimes not

Given that fares on Jetstar are from SGD23.50 (USD17.50) plus tax each way ( tax SIN-KUL SGD41.5 and SGD14.35 KUL-SIN ) , it would seem that the best value option would be just to buy a ticket and save miles/avios/points

Even 6000 avios would seem to be able to be better used than to save USD17.50 (taxes would still need to be paid on an award ticket)
I don't think Jetstar fares include luggage. Doesn't that make an Avios redemption all that much better?
Old Apr 11, 2021, 3:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I don't think Jetstar fares include luggage. Doesn't that make an Avios redemption all that much better?
Depends how much luggage you have I guess. In that case, depending on date, I see MI for $110 round trip, SQ for around $150 and MH for around $160. For those prices I certainly wouldn't spend 12k Avios. Each of those give you 30kg without considering any status you may have.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Depends how much luggage you have I guess. In that case, depending on date, I see MI for $110 round trip, SQ for around $150 and MH for around $160. For those prices I certainly wouldn't spend 12k Avios. Each of those give you 30kg without considering any status you may have.
What were the dates you used?
Old Apr 11, 2021, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Use what's works best for you
Old Apr 11, 2021, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You will often find low cash fares. If not, use Avios...
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 4:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not really - Jetstar charges SGD22 for 20kg , SGD33 for 30kg and SGD44 for 40kg

Even if the avios booking on MH provides a baggage allowance ( not sure if it does ) , then the 6000 avios is saving SGD45.5 , which seems a dismal value to me
lsquare and Antarius like this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Loyalty programs have different features. While $1 = $1, the same cannot be said for a comparison of avios to AA miles, What did it take to earn the mile in question? How does the program work?

Redemptions can be great or terrible value depending on the routing and timing. But, they are not like cash.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 7:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not really - Jetstar charges SGD22 for 20kg , SGD33 for 30kg and SGD44 for 40kg

Even if the avios booking on MH provides a baggage allowance ( not sure if it does ) , then the 6000 avios is saving SGD45.5 , which seems a dismal value to me
I agree that this is a terrible use of points. The last time I flew SIN-KUL I paid $60 USD in C on a Malindo promotion.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
What were the dates you used?
Forget now, but random dates in May and September I think. They were very similar. There's so much LCC pressure in SE Asia that those prices should be relatively stable on non-holidays. In the end, you're probably a bit ahead doing an LCC and paying for the baggage, but if you have OneWorld or Star Alliance status and want the lounge and other elite benefits, then it shouldn't be too difficult.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 8:49 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I agree with others. SIN-KUL is definitely a waste of AA miles. Avios is a better bet but cash probably makes the most sense.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I think Singapore Airlines is allowed 2 free checked bags. Only in Asia, not for US domestic flight. This is for international flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.