Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Outdated Panasonic vs viasat entertainment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2021, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

I enjoy sitting in the bigger planes but the outdated panasonic system is sad? Especially the no free news website browsing on my phone?

Or are others alright with the Panasonic system?
Old Mar 29, 2021, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
It sucks, I hate it, there is a major issue 9 out of 10 flights where wifi stops working for me. I am not sure if it is physical equipment or service provides. There was Telekom internet on those planes before and it was really good and reliable.
The Panasonic service is marginally better than the wifi service on BAs flight (non existent)
Old Mar 30, 2021, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by Stocktc1
I enjoy sitting in the bigger planes but the outdated panasonic system is sad? Especially the no free news website browsing on my phone?

Or are others alright with the Panasonic system?
I've heard many a bad word about the Panasonic system, but it never failed me. I'm not trying to egg free stuff though.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:39 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I've had it be inconsistent on DFW/LHR and back multiple times, but also had it work pretty dang good on DFW/PVG....So who knows.

Viasat has been good but haven't used it as much.

However, I still miss the days of Gogo. Not because the service was great, but because it is free with Tmobile service. I've only been running into it on regional flights until last week, finding it on 3 A319's as well. On two of those, it was on gate to gate (not sure if overlooked, or a new upgrade, but it did work).
Old Mar 30, 2021, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I've had it be inconsistent on DFW/LHR and back multiple times, but also had it work pretty dang good on DFW/PVG....So who knows.

Viasat has been good but haven't used it as much.

However, I still miss the days of Gogo. Not because the service was great, but because it is free with Tmobile service. I've only been running into it on regional flights until last week, finding it on 3 A319's as well. On two of those, it was on gate to gate (not sure if overlooked, or a new upgrade, but it did work).
Agreed. However when I do find it I see that T mobile only offers an hour free whereas I used to get unlimited.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
Agreed. However when I do find it I see that T mobile only offers an hour free whereas I used to get unlimited.
Mine is still giving unlimited. Perhaps because I am on a business account is the only thing I can think of.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Mine is still giving unlimited. Perhaps because I am on a business account is the only thing I can think of.
I know it is 1 hr for my 55+ plan, but I sometimes increase the plan for international travel, and that level gives unlimited GOGO....if you can find a plane that has it.

I generally do it for 3G speed vs 2G as 3G is better for directions and getting Uber in places like Buenos Aires
bchandler02 likes this.

Last edited by mvoight; Mar 30, 2021 at 12:37 pm
Old Mar 31, 2021, 4:07 am

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by enviroian
Bingo. The reason for this is that its entirely plan dependent, you need to be on a higher level plan such as T-Mobile One Plus/One Plus International (like the prior post) or Magenta Plus/Max for it to be unlimited.

It's possible someone may have dropped the addon on your account or if you ever made changes to your plan that you dropped down to the standard magenta plan.

However, yeah, I'm in the same boat here. The friend and I that I do mileage runs with dread Viasat flights for exactly this reason. It may be slow, but free slow wifi beats paying fifteen dollars for wifi on the multiple flights I'll do in a day even if it is fast --especially given we do multiple in a day.
bchandler02 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.