Wiki Posts
Search

Bad service flying TPA-MIA-SJU in F

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2021, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL/PM SM/AMEX/Plat HH/Gold Marriott/Plat Starwood/Plat
Bad service flying TPA-MIA-SJU in F

My family was asked for COVID test results before luggage check-in and then again at the gate before boarding. Problem was they acted as if this was required by the airline before flying when in fact it is not. Puerto Rico requires you the take the test within 72 hrs OR you can quarantine once you reach there. You do have the later option.

The F service onboard was non-existent to horrible. I flew B6 and was never asked and got better service.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Did you have tests or were you planning on quarantine? If no tests, were you denied boarding?

The service standard for these two micro hops is published on AA's website. What were you expecting that you were not promised?

If B6 is better value, why are you flying AA (although B6 does not offer F at all and no J on this route).
kellzbellz, Tack and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
TPA/MIA there's likely going to be no service unless you get a FA willing to do. MIA/SJU would be a snack (sandwich or fruit plate) and typically FAs only do one round of drinks, a few make you ask and a very few really lazy ones will tell you no. COVID has become the perfect excuse for lazy FAs to do even less now and the airline (and not just AA) won't fight the unions. The service on DL apparently is even worse.

As far as the COVID issue I won't fly anywhere that requires that test. It's error prone and there's no way I'm putting my life on hold for what might be a false positive.
Markie, Tack, kellzbellz and 10 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Please elaborate on the "bad service in F" for your flights. I'm on the verge of accepting the offer to go to SJU and weighing the choices of taking 772, 737 Max flights as a priority with me connecting in MIA from SFO.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 6:54 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Please elaborate on the "bad service in F" for your flights. I'm on the verge of accepting the offer to go to SJU and weighing the choices of taking 772, 737 Max flights as a priority with me connecting in MIA from SFO.
Service is available. However, you have to ask for it. On many flights, service is not proactive.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The service standard for these two micro hops is published on AA's website.
Clearly, you have a very different definition of "micro hop" compared to me. Miami to San Juan is 1,045 miles according to Great Circle Mapper. That's roughly equivalent to going from Miami to Austin (1,103 miles). That's nearly half-way across the continent, which doesn't qualify as a "micro hop" to me.

A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
mcgahat, Spiff and Pirrito like this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by jcatman
Service is available. However, you have to ask for it. On many flights, service is not proactive.

Gotcha.... I happened to have the (un)fortunate opportunity to have a side trip introduced to me then I was only expecting SFO-CLT-SFO that req'd me to add in a CLT-MIA-CLT trip as well.

The CLT-MIA-CLT was on the 772 (F class) and I was expecting "nothing" but they offered a "meal" and got two rounds of drinks on both legs...

Hell, this makes me mad about the SFO-MIA-SFO trip in F where it's just "nothing" at all...Glad I grabbed a snack when it was announced no food service was offered for the flight LOL
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by bamin
My family was asked for COVID test results before luggage check-in and then again at the gate before boarding. Problem was they acted as if this was required by the airline before flying when in fact it is not. Puerto Rico requires you the take the test within 72 hrs OR you can quarantine once you reach there. You do have the later option.

The F service onboard was non-existent to horrible. I flew B6 and was never asked and got better service.
Not sure why you thought service was so bad. B6 doesn't even offer Mint to SJU.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL/PM SM/AMEX/Plat HH/Gold Marriott/Plat Starwood/Plat
Did you have tests or were you planning on quarantine? If no tests, were you denied boarding?
They both were tested and had the results as we were aware PR requires testing or you have to quarantine / take the test there. My issue is AA did not anywhere during booking or check notify they require proof when flying and then at the airport acted that they need to see the proof (rude) which is different from trying deny boarding which I am sure they cannot.
READ: Power Tripping...

If B6 is better value, why are you flying AA (although B6 does not offer F at all and no J on this route).
My family flew AA and I flew B6 due to work / flight timings and was just comparing both based our conversation.

AA F: (Note: My wife's account)
TPA-MIA: No service (Standard Nowadays)
MIA-SJU: Horrible Food. Lazy - 1 service run. Had trouble getting 2nd call.

B6 EvenMoreSeat:
TPA-SJU: Seat as good a AA F - Smiling (Hot) FA's - 2 service runs.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
This sounds like a lot of hyperbole. As Often1 said, the service standards are clearly published on AA's website and on the wiki here. If one expects something different, they should book with a competing carrier that offers a product commensurate with one's expectations.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 8:42 pm

It’s the customer’s responsibility to have all proper documentation available that’s required. I am currently in SJU checked in on app and was never required to show my test or QR code from PR. Only required to have QR available at airport exit. Also I believe that AA business class seat is far better than a coach seat on B6, more leg room or not. As a agent I don’t ask for negative test for SJU or Hawaii bound customers. They don’t have , oh well have fun especially in Hawaii in your hotel room for 10 or so days, not my responsibility.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
This sounds like a lot of hyperbole. As Often1 said, the service standards are clearly published on AA's website and on the wiki here. If one expects something different, they should book with a competing carrier that offers a product commensurate with one's expectations.
Except AA advertises TPA-MIA as a "Beverage Service" flight. To most, that would mean you would get served a beverage, and if not served one automatically than one could be requested. I don't know if the OP didn't request one from a FA or if the FA refused to serve one. I've been on short AA flights where I asked to get a drink and was provided one with a smile and was on a Republic operated flight where I asked for a drink and was outright refused.

If AA or their partner airlines don't want to do any service on those flights they should advertise them as "No Service" or "Water Only".
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by bamin

B6 EvenMoreSeat:
TPA-SJU: Seat as good a AA F - Smiling (Hot) FA's - 2 service runs.
The 1970's called. They want your sexist butt back.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Commenting on one's attractiveness now makes them sexist? How should the human race ever hope to procreate in the future? Asking for a friend.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:49 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
He did not actually say that these were female - that is your assumption. I have had male FAs who I would not describe so much hot as blistering - I will settle for whatever the American training school throws out as long as they are pleasant and bring me drinks as and when I request them. Should they not, I collar them in their lair and ask politely.

I would have been surprised if anything other than drinks were offered on such a short flight.
mcgahat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.