Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New Flight Information Screens, Coming Soon to All AAirports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2021, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold

Just walked into DCA C Club to see this:

CLT and jhalapin like this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Bet the club is quiet today.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Bet the club is quiet today.
Just now it was totally dead. But evidently around 7:45-8:15am the lounge was hopping and the security line was half a block long. Bartender said he had poured 17 vodkas this morning before I arrived.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 9:48 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
I doubt it’s coming soon to all airports as most airports control their own FIDS. Coming soon to most clubs is probably more accurate.

Anyways it uses the same design as their GIDS. I quite liked their old GIDS, as it showed more information about the destination (had an image of the city, local weather, etc).
Old Mar 13, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EP
Are the GIDS changing again?

Originally Posted by CLT
I doubt it’s coming soon to all airports as most airports control their own FIDS. Coming soon to most clubs is probably more accurate.

Anyways it uses the same design as their GIDS. I quite liked their old GIDS, as it showed more information about the destination (had an image of the city, local weather, etc).
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:01 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
It’s less information dense than the old screens were, but that might be okay because most people look on their phones.

It is easier to see a flights status now and the assigned gate, which is good. I wonder if they will show partner airline logos in airports with other flights (e.g. AS, BA, B6, JL).
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Doesn't look bad for a smaller station like DCA but they're going to need to triple the number of monitors installed at big hubs to cover all the flights when each row is that high.

At least the rows are legible. The idiots who run the DFW airport changed the format of the airport-controlled screens that show all airlines and made the text for destination city smaller and harder to read while making the airline logo image more prominent. Of course this is the same airport board that wasted your PFC money by frivolously changing its logo and color scheme from blue to orange.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
LOL-- for a minute I thought they were having the (totally true) flight information screen like they have at some airports in China where you walk up, it scans your face, and then shows you your flight and gate info along with a map and directions. Quite shocking the first time I saw it...
Spanish likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CLT
I doubt it’s coming soon to all airports as most airports control their own FIDS.
Hey, I'm just the messenger! (Zoom in under "Departures A-Z" and it says coming soon to "all"...)

But yeah somehow I doubt this will be fully ubiquitous
CLT likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I agree. Too few items on a single page. They will need a lot of screens, or will have to limit the timeframe to the point where your flight may not show up. Also, the choice of colors is odd. Why is "Departed" green? If you're looking at your flight and it says "Departed" you're in trouble. They should make On Time green, delayed yellow (as they have), cancelled red, and maybe white for departed.

Departure time probably needs to be bold.

The more prominent and readable gate number is a plus.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by VFR
It’s less information dense than the old screens were
A unfortunate trend that seems to be becoming more and more prevalent in other areas also (e.g. flight search results).

Originally Posted by Stripe
They will need a lot of screens, or will have to limit the timeframe to the point where your flight may not show up.
Or it could cycle through multiple pages. Pretty sure I've seen it set up this way in a few lounges already with the current display. Can be annoying having to wait for the screen to display your flight.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I don't like the new layout because the data are so spread out. I'd rather see MORE text/flights per line, so I don't need to stand there waiting for the screens to cycle to show more flights. (I don't care about seeing the AA eagle artwork on each flight line.)

On the topic of the website, I also wish there were a "power user" version that were not as "pretty" but displayed more data at once.
Dea Certe, chrisny2 and Spanish like this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 9:48 pm

I literally have been sitting in the Phx Admirals club above the B gates years ago and learned a lesson that most you already know. If it is a holiday season travel period and bad weather with bunch of IROPS do not trust those displays and get your butt down to the physical gate to see what is actually happening.
Dea Certe and onanisland like this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I don't like the new layout because the data are so spread out. I'd rather see MORE text/flights per line, so I don't need to stand there waiting for the screens to cycle to show more flights. (I don't care about seeing the AA eagle artwork on each flight line.)

On the topic of the website, I also wish there were a "power user" version that were not as "pretty" but displayed more data at once.
Agreed. Based on a quick eyeball, looks like these screens show roughly half as many flights as they did before?
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
All AA Airports? Are you sure? There are plenty of airports which seem to have different displays than the main AA Airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.