Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How is a return flight valued for changes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is a return flight valued for changes?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I've seen both set of fare rules. You have to go to the fare rule the ticket is issued against to see if it reprice with current fares in effect on historical especially if travel has not begun.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That doesn't allow change of outbound flight without a fare difference - only continuing/return flights - what was the fare/route/date for that example ? need to see what it says about changing outbound - also what it says about making changes after outbound flown

I used a domestic fare as an example as that seems to be the most common use - also there is a lot of insularity in the forum ime that only tends to consider ex-US fares

Given that US domestic fares seem to be generally consistent in application of rules, I didn't go checking others

checking a couple of ex-UK fares, in the changes section it states

Code:
CALCULATION FOR REISSUES
//CHANGES BEFORE OUTBOUND DEPARTURE//
THE ITINERARY MUST BE REPRICED USING CURRENT
FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS
REISSUED.
OR REPRICE THE ITINERARY USING THE SAME FARE
BASIS CODES AND RULES AS THOSE IN EFFECT ON
THE DATE OF ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUANCE FOR
UNCHANGED OUTBOUND FARE COMPONENTS AND USING
FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF NEW TICKET
ISSUANCE FOR ALL CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS.
--------------------------------------------------
//CHANGES AFTER DEPARTURE//
THE ITINERARY MUST BE REPRICED USING HISTORICAL
FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE.

whcih again uses historical fares once the outbound sector is flown - this seems to be no change
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 4, 2021 at 9:12 pm
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:05 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Here's a fare rule from ~18 months ago on a domestic trip that lets you change the return leg of a round trip PRIOR to flying the outbound with no fare difference (but with a change fee). This seems to have disappeared from what you quoted, although I haven't read the full fare rules, and they are often long and confusing and not formatted for readability.

II. PRIOR TO DEPARTURE OF THE JOURNEY - CHANGES TO CONTINUING/RETURN FLIGHTS WHEN THERE IS NO CHANGE TO ORIGIN/DESTINATION OR STOPOVERS. THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE AND THE LOWEST SOLUTION WILL APPLY.
--- A. ATTEMPT TO KEEP THE SAME FARES AS TICKETED. REPRICE THE ITINERARY USING THE SAME FARE BASIS CODE/ SAME FARE LEVEL/ SAME RULES AS TICKETED/ THAT IS/ THOSE IN EFFECT AT THE TIME THE ORIGINAL TICKET WAS SOLD.
1.NO CHANGE IS PERMITTED TO STOPOVER/ THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT OR FARE BREAKS.
2.THE TICKETED FARE BASIS CODE/ SAME RULE MUST BE USED AS THE REPLACEMENT FARE FOR THE REVISED FARE COMPONENT ON THE NEW TICKET.
3.FULLY FLOWN ONE-WAY FARE MUST NOT BE REPRICED AS A HALF ROUND-TRIP FARE.
4.NEW FARE MUST BE EQUAL TO THE PREVIOUS FARE. COMPARE BASE FARE VALUES FOR THE REVISED FARE COMPONENT TO THAT OF THE TICKETED FARE COMPONENT.
5.ALL RULE/BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS MUST BE MET.
6.FLIGHT SPECIFIC FARES MUST REMAIN WITHIN THE TIMES SPECIFIED FOR THAT FARE.
7.ADVANCE RESERVATION REQUIREMENTS ARE MEASURED FROM THE REISSUE DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT.
8.SERVICE CHARGE APPLIES. ---

This provision only lets you change for just the penalty if the new return date qualifies for the same fare basis as the original date and still meets the advance purchase requirement from the date of reissue. These provisions remain in place on fares now, but with no penalty charged.

The fare rules are long and confusing as you point out, and in each case, AA offers several approaches to refaring the new itinerary and will permit use of the cheapest end result.
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Mar 4, 2021 at 9:10 pm Reason: clarification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.