Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is there any reason NOT to switch to AAdvantage as a non-business traveler?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there any reason NOT to switch to AAdvantage as a non-business traveler?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
But their F&B is completely un-palatable.
As all of this is subjective, we are all entitled to our opinions. I have flown them long haul multiple times in J and F, and pre-covid times, I was very much satisfied with their F&B offerings. Even in Y, they serve decent beers.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
As all of this is subjective, we are all entitled to our opinions. I have flown them long haul multiple times in J and F, and pre-covid times, I was very much satisfied with their F&B offerings. Even in Y, they serve decent beers.
BA managed to serve a nice hot (small) meal in Club LHR/AMS which is maybe a 45 minute flight. The FA gave us some Bolly minis on exiting. Bolly? Stoli? Bolly Stoli?

Of course this was a long time ago.
AAway likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
You'll go out of your mind

At the inferiority of AA.COM. It lacks functionality of both UA and DL websites/apps. I stick with AA solely because I prefer AA's biz seat for Transoceanic flights. 777s and 787s that is. I've not had the misfortune of a 767 which permeates DL routes.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
BA had a rough patch in the early days of Alex Cruz. But since then, they've improved.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NW.BTR.Than.The.Rest
At the inferiority of AA.COM. It lacks functionality of both UA and DL websites/apps. I stick with AA solely because I prefer AA's biz seat for Transoceanic flights. 777s and 787s that is. I've not had the misfortune of a 767 which permeates DL routes.
DL's 767s are quite nice, unlike the half assed mess that AA used to trot out.

But yes, 100% agree on the app and website. AA IT systems are absolutely horrid.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
DL's 767s are quite nice
In what ways? 763s are aging dinosaurs but DL still trouts them out as staple equipment on some of its premium routes - e.g. between JFK and LAX.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
In what ways? 763s are aging dinosaurs but DL still trouts them out as staple equipment on some of its premium routes - e.g. between JFK and LAX.
The airframe is old, but the cabin is in decent condition. 1-2-1 staggered lay flats up front.

Better than pretty much anything UA flies domestically and better than most of AA's domestic fleet - the AA 321T's are, of course, excellent.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
The airframe is old, but the cabin is in decent condition. 1-2-1 staggered lay flats up front.

Better than pretty much anything UA flies domestically and better than most of AA's domestic fleet - the AA 321T's are, of course, excellent.
Your info is quite outdated.

UA generally runs at least one 78J (787-10) every day in each direction between EWR and LAX + EWR and SFO, in addition to 787-9 (some Polarized, some have not), along with subs of 77W, and Polarized version of 772. They are also easily found other domestic routes, mostly hub-to-hub.

Similar stories at AA, 77W and 772 can be found on many hub-to-hub routes.

If you are going to compare widebodies on domestic routes, UA and AA run circles on DL.
cesco.g and econ like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
BA had a rough patch in the early days of Alex Cruz. But since then, they've improved.
In my experience in the year or two pre-Covid, even the meals that I got on BA Club Europe were more satisfying than what I got on AA TATLs.
sushanna1 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Your info is quite outdated.

UA generally runs at least one 78J (787-10) every day in each direction between EWR and LAX + EWR and SFO, in addition to 787-9 (some Polarized, some have not), along with subs of 77W, and Polarized version of 772. They are also easily found other domestic routes, mostly hub-to-hub.

Similar stories at AA, 77W and 772 can be found on many hub-to-hub routes.

If you are going to compare widebodies on domestic routes, UA and AA run circles on DL.
You can find the 77W on ONE route. MIA-LAX. Periodically it shows up as a sub, but that's luck of the draw. And UA flies their 2-4-2 77As around (or did until they got grounded) as well as their non-polaris birds quite a bit. Both are inferior to AA's widebodies and DL's.

Regardless, the OP isn't asking about switching to DL, so it's a moot point.

Last edited by Antarius; Feb 23, 2021 at 7:32 am
Old Feb 23, 2021, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can find the 77W on ONE route. MIA-LAX. Periodically it shows up as a sub, but that's luck of the draw. And UA flies their 2-4-2 77As around (or did until they got grounded) as well as their non-polaris birds quite a bit. Both are inferior to AA's widebodies and DL's.

Regardless, the OP isn't asking about switching to DL, so it's a moot point.
While AA is only using its 77W on one route currently, its 772 has been consistently used on multiple hub-to-hub travels - e.g. JFK<->MIA; MIA<->DFW; DFW<->ORD

UA does not use 777HD (2-4-2) on its TCON routes as normal equipment, even prior to the voluntary grounding; it would use its 738/9 before subbing in 777HD. I fly these routes almost weekly, it's been a combination of 77J, 789, and 752 (most common), but also 77W, 772, and 788 also appear on the schedule quite a bit.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by CLT
I'll say this about upgrades...while AA's upgrade policy towards Gold/Platinum members seems harsh compared to the "unlimited complimentary upgrades" offered by AS/UA/DL, I actually think Gold/Platinum members on AA have better upgrade odds than similar AS/UA/DL elites on with the 500-mile upgrade certificate system. By having such system, it effectively reduces the amount of people you are competing with to get an upgrade as often times Gold/Platinum members don't want to use/purchase upgrade certs for a certain flight.

I've seen horror reports about UA flights between hub cities or between hub cities and major metro areas where the majority of the passengers on a flight have status and the upgrade list had 150+ people on it. That would probably never happen on AA.
I'm lifetime Plat on AA and have had quite good success in getting upgrades. I like the 500-mile cert process for that exact reason.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:27 am

As a former UA flyer who switched to AA it really just depends where you like to go. By far my most flown route is ORD-LHR but I like having the flexibility to book a BA flight if the time suits me better, rather than being tied to UA's schedule. So OW makes more sense to me. I also hate UA's new qualification system although if you fly a bunch of short haul, it probably benefits you. I am not a fan of most *A products in J (I don't really fly F internationally); Lufthansa, Austrian, and SAS are all inferior to BA on transatlantic flights imo. TAP, ironically, is probably the best of them aside from Swiss based on my last trip. Not sure what the complaints are about BA's F&B offering either considering they use Do&Co (talking about their offerings pre-pandemic of course). I also would not discount Finnair (they have the best first class lounge in Europe in Helsinki imo), and Iberia is not great but I would not say it's meaningfully worse than Austrian, for example. The only way I could see the argument that *A has a far superior European offering is if you include TK, but it seems a stretch to connect in IST for flights to anywhere in Europe, and Turkish still does not compare to Qatar. Now if I traveled to Germany, Switzerland, Portugal, etc. more often, my answer would also probably change.

The one thing I do miss about *A is having the Air Canada option but the addition of Alaska to OW more than makes up for this, for me, especially given that Canada seems to be going for "zero covid" so it may be a while before they open up.
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by carlosdca
You might consider taking the advice of what has been said on this thread (very sensible advice):

Book the flight that offers the most convenient itinerary/ better pricing.
Buy up upgrades with cash when offered, pay for any perks a la carte.

Price and itinerary convenience being equal, of the big three, I like DL the most (despite me being lifetime GOLD with AA). From the booking experience, to buy ups, to the flying experience, I think DL offers a very good experience/product.

However, it seems to me that you are set on pursuing status being loyal to AA or UA. In that, case, as per your original question:
DO IT!
Go for an AA challenge, get status, try it!
At the end of the year, compare how you liked AA in comparison to UA and make a decision then (which one you stay with)

One additional comment: Credit cards love young customers. I doubt you will have a problem getting a Credit Card. Even more so if you are going to pay an annual fee for it.
My first credit card was the Citi Cards Aadvatange Platinum with $85 annual fee. When I got it, my credit history was non-existent and I had a $0 income as I was a student. Go figure. Just apply for it if you really want one.

Last edited by SQLInjection; Jun 17, 2022 at 11:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.