Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking Hawaii award trip on AA using Cathay Pacific or Qantas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2021, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Hello Flyertalk -- I've only booked AA rewards using AA miles. I have the opportunity to have either Cathay Pacific or Qantas miles via a transfer but can't convert them into AA miles that I know of. I want to book a trip to Hawaii on AA from DFW to Hawaii and am Gold on AA.

Are there advantages to booking this trip using Cathay Pacific or Qantas miles vs AA? Will I get my Gold benefits even if I book them via Cathay or Qantas? Are those programs doing friendly refunds on trips in case my trip gets delayed/cancelled do to covid or what not?

Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 20, 2021, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FreeLunch
Hello Flyertalk -- I've only booked AA rewards using AA miles. I have the opportunity to have either Cathay Pacific or Qantas miles via a transfer but can't convert them into AA miles that I know of. I want to book a trip to Hawaii on AA from DFW to Hawaii and am Gold on AA.

Are there advantages to booking this trip using Cathay Pacific or Qantas miles vs AA? Will I get my Gold benefits even if I book them via Cathay or Qantas? Are those programs doing friendly refunds on trips in case my trip gets delayed/cancelled do to covid or what not?

Thanks for the help!
For QF ffp have you looked at the award chart and cash co-payment? But not sure if you need to have enough QF ff points first to check the $$ co-payment. They do have an award chart (zone based).
I had a QF award AU-USA that QF cancelled when they stopped flying . Refund of QF points and taxes/co-payment was OK & quick.
If you decide to (voluntary) cancel for any reason and the airline is still flying that is very different. QF will charge a QF points fee if you decide to cancel (5000pts?). QF ff points have a 18 month expiry if no eligible activity.

With any OW airline benefits from status, as published on the Oneworld site, will apply. Your airline ffp may have benefits in addition to the OW benefits, I suspect you will not get an upgrade on a trip using QF ff points for an award.
Awards are generally on native flights. That is it will have an AA flight number.

Edit
DFW-HNL 3784 miles from http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=dfw-hnl&MS=wls&DU=mi
QF award chart---> https://www.qantas.com/au/en/frequen...ds/tables.html
Zone 5 (3401 4800 miles) one way
economy 25,200 QF points
business 68,400 QF points
first 102,600 QF points
plus taxes and plus surcharges if any
There are better FFPs,

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 21, 2021 at 12:51 pm
Old Feb 20, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Well being that the standard award LAX-Hawaii is 45k on AA and 30k using Asia Miles to book AA flight, there is a cost savings. AA has no redepodit fee if greater than 60 days ahead )I think that holds for basic economy)

Because my CX Asia Miles are going to expire, it was a no brainer to use them for a fall Hawaii trip even though I had to already pay $40 each to change the dates

You will get Oneworld benefits according to your oneworld tier (with Admiral Club free entrance taken away if your one world status comes from AA)

I think cancellation is $100 per. Better details can probably be gotten in the Cathay forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.