Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Changed My Flight, Rebooked me on Hawaiian, and Told Me that My Ticket was Invalid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Changed My Flight, Rebooked me on Hawaiian, and Told Me that My Ticket was Invalid

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2021, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Angry AA Changed My Flight, Rebooked me on Hawaiian, and Told Me that My Ticket was Invalid

Hi all,

I need yall's advice LOL. I was originally confirmed systemwide upgrades for American Airlines to Hawaii for a flight 4 months in advance for my entire family, but they canceled one of my flights due to a schedule change, and rebooked me on a flight that left almost six hours later and arrived 4 hours later. I called customer service immediately and the travel agent told me that they'd accommodate me on a different flight. However, all the flights were full in business that day on AA and so the agent told me they could rebook me on a "protected carrier" like Delta, United, Hawaiian, etc. Hawaiian was the only one that had availability for us that day, and so the agent booked me on Hawaiian AND gave us a hawaiian airlines PNR code. I logged onto the Hawaiian itinerary yesterday and was able to choose seats as well as seeing the ticket number showing up on Hawaiian. Also, I got a confirmation email from AA saying that my flight was changed successfully to Hawaiian.

Fast forward to today, I saw that Hawaiian didn't put my middle name in the reservation, and so I called AA and told them to add it for me. When AA responded, out of nowhere told me that my flight wasn't valid because "Hawaiian doesn't accept AA systemwide upgrades and therefore would not let me board" despite me getting a Hawaiian PNR code and ticket numbers on both the Hawaiian and AA website. I then escalated to a manager and after a long wait, he told me that the agent somehow did successfully rebook me on Hawaiian and he would not touch my reservation. He then said that he'd resend another confirmation email to me. 15 mins later when I see the email, it then says it's now Economy (F), despite me not accepting the downgrade and the manager agreeing that it would be alright to keep us on Hawaiian. The confirmation email I got yesterday said First (F), but today it became Economy (F). However, I do know that on both Hawaiian and AA "F" is not a Domestic First class fare bucket. Furthermore, despite what the AA email says when I log on to both Hawaiian and AA websites it's still showing up as "First." Should I worry about potentially being downgraded on the day of the flight or potentially even being denied boarding for my family? It'd suck for that to happen as we need to take COVID tests to Hawaii also and it would be such a big hassle. If we do end up not being able to board the flight or if AA calls me back again, are there any options for recourse that I have?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 16, 2021, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fremontflyer
Hi all,

I need yall's advice LOL. I was originally confirmed systemwide upgrades for American Airlines to Hawaii for a flight 4 months in advance for my entire family, but they canceled one of my flights due to a schedule change, and rebooked me on a flight that left almost six hours later and arrived 4 hours later. I called customer service immediately and the travel agent told me that they'd accommodate me on a different flight. However, all the flights were full in business that day on AA and so the agent told me they could rebook me on a "protected carrier" like Delta, United, Hawaiian, etc. Hawaiian was the only one that had availability for us that day, and so the agent booked me on Hawaiian AND gave us a hawaiian airlines PNR code. I logged onto the Hawaiian itinerary yesterday and was able to choose seats as well as seeing the ticket number showing up on Hawaiian. Also, I got a confirmation email from AA saying that my flight was changed successfully to Hawaiian.

Fast forward to today, I saw that Hawaiian didn't put my middle name in the reservation, and so I called AA and told them to add it for me. When AA responded, out of nowhere told me that my flight wasn't valid because "Hawaiian doesn't accept AA systemwide upgrades and therefore would not let me board" despite me getting a Hawaiian PNR code and ticket numbers on both the Hawaiian and AA website. I then escalated to a manager and after a long wait, he told me that the agent somehow did successfully rebook me on Hawaiian and he would not touch my reservation. He then said that he'd resend another confirmation email to me. 15 mins later when I see the email, it then says it's now Economy (F), despite me not accepting the downgrade and the manager agreeing that it would be alright to keep us on Hawaiian. The confirmation email I got yesterday said First (F), but today it became Economy (F). However, I do know that on both Hawaiian and AA "F" is not a Domestic First class fare bucket. Furthermore, despite what the AA email says when I log on to both Hawaiian and AA websites it's still showing up as "First." Should I worry about potentially being downgraded on the day of the flight or potentially even being denied boarding for my family? It'd suck for that to happen as we need to take COVID tests to Hawaii also and it would be such a big hassle. If we do end up not being able to board the flight or if AA calls me back again, are there any options for recourse that I have?

Thanks in advance!
Getting an agent to take your cleared AA SWU into consideration to reserve F/J seats on other airlines during IROPS is far from a guarantee. It's more likely to happen if you're at the airport when you need to be reaccommodated. When it's farther in advance, it's much less likely to happen.

I've sometimes been successful with this and sometimes not. I had once burned a SWU on an AA domestic flight to SEA just before it would have expired -- the flight went mx, and I was rebooked on a nonstop to SEA on AS in F. The AC agent refused to do it and advised me to try me luck with the EP line, which worked.

Another time, my DUB-ORD flight on AA had rolling delays, and it was a morning flight where I had to be in Chicago in the late afternoon for a wedding. UA had seats in J, but AA wouldn't do it because it was a SWU (that was over the phone from my hotel room, and I probably should have just headed to the airport ticket counter, in retrospect -- I missed the wedding ceremony but at least made the hotel reception).

One other situation was an itinerary from LAS to STL, ticketed in 'D' if I remember correctly, and I got the line from the agent about it being "discounted first" and they'd only book in F on another airline if it were full fare, rather than a Y-UP. I believe I posted a thread in the past about this last situation, as it was unique, in that my companion and I first received Y confirmations from DL and then, a short time later, we received new confirmation emails for F (didn't seem to be instant upgrades, or anything like that, so it seemed someone pushed it through after the fact, perhaps reconsidering the situation).

Bottom line, YMMV, and you may not have much recourse other than cancelling the tickets and starting over if the phone agents won't budge.
jerseytom and fremontflyer like this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
A couple more points since I can't sleep tonight...

If you're ever successfully ticketed on another airline in a premium cabin in this scenario (cleared SWU on AA), try not to call back for any reason. I'd rather risk not having the middle name on the reservation than getting an over-zealous agent who might downgrade me.

I wouldn't advise just showing up at the airport in your current situation unless you're OK with the strong possibility that you'll be sitting in Y. Get it sorted out over the phone, and if that doesn't work, re-book if you must fly F/J.
wrp96, A321T, arollins and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 5:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by metallo
If you're ever successfully ticketed on another airline in a premium cabin in this scenario (cleared SWU on AA), try not to call back for any reason. I'd rather risk not having the middle name on the reservation than getting an over-zealous agent who might downgrade me.
Indeed - Not having middle name would not be an issue for a domestic flight. In fact, the apparent absence of the middle name from the HA reservation was probably an artifact of one of the carrier's reservation systems as opposed to any info actually missing in the record.
fremontflyer likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Rule 1 - If you have a properly ticketed and reserved record, do not touch it for any reason absent life-altering emergency. Your original changed tickets appeared to have been valid for travel on HA in F. It was calling to change them which resulted in the mess because it would have required AA to cancel the existing tickets and rebook in your full name. This was completely not necessary as there are only two name fields required (while some countries and thus carriers may be sticky about this, you don't face this issue generally and certainly not on a domestic ticket.

Unfortunately, all you were due was an acceptable rebooking or a refund. Rebooking with a SWU onto a non-OW carrier other than in IRROPS on the day of travel is a tough one and my guess, a mistake (to your benefit).

The bottom line question now is whether you can see your way to an AA rebooking with perhaps a departure to or from a day earlier or what it would cost to fly F on HA.

For the benefit of others, when booking more than 30 days out during the pandemic, be prepared for significant schedule disruptions. As the situation changes, there will be variations and those will either contract your schedule or mean an extra day somewhere.
fremontflyer likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Rule 1 - If you have a properly ticketed and reserved record, do not touch it for any reason absent life-altering emergency. Your original changed tickets appeared to have been valid for travel on HA in F. It was calling to change them which resulted in the mess because it would have required AA to cancel the existing tickets and rebook in your full name. This was completely not necessary as there are only two name fields required (while some countries and thus carriers may be sticky about this, you don't face this issue generally and certainly not on a domestic ticket.

Unfortunately, all you were due was an acceptable rebooking or a refund. Rebooking with a SWU onto a non-OW carrier other than in IRROPS on the day of travel is a tough one and my guess, a mistake (to your benefit).

The bottom line question now is whether you can see your way to an AA rebooking with perhaps a departure to or from a day earlier or what it would cost to fly F on HA.

For the benefit of others, when booking more than 30 days out during the pandemic, be prepared for significant schedule disruptions. As the situation changes, there will be variations and those will either contract your schedule or mean an extra day somewhere.
Thanks to all that responded!

Just to clarify, the agent actually did not reissue my ticket, and told me because my middle name was on my original reservation all the data would be transferred to my secure flight profile, and so she told me my ticket would be left alone. AND THEN she called back like five minutes later and said my ticket was invalid, and so I escalated to a manager and then he said because the agent I contacted when my flight got changed somehow did reissue my ticket in HA F, he would just leave it alone, noting that it was unusual that the agent was able to. I assume that in this scenario, my tickets are still valid for HA F, correct? Though this supervisor did resend a confirmation email that said economy, it did have an “F” next to it which I assume is the First Class fare bucket, and when I log into AA and HA I see no changes on the reservation indicating that I had been rebooked in economy. Also, if I press “share itinerary” in the AA website, the email that is sent to me DOES say first. Not sure why that one rogue email said economy 😅😅. I should be okay right?
Old Feb 17, 2021, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is a bit different.

I would assume nothing.

I would call HA and, without getting into any details, simply ask that the agent confirm that you are reserved and ticketed -- stress ticketed -- in F and ask the agent to confirm the seats. There really isn't more to be done than that. After all, what matters is whether HA issues you BP's in F. What various websites do and do not show is not relevant.

At that point, leave it alone. As noted above. Do not call or otherwise touch the PNR on either website.
freeagent, hurnik and fremontflyer like this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Agree with often1. Do not call AA. I would call HA and ask to assign seats in F cabin.
fremontflyer likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 3:53 pm

Op Thank you for clarifying as I also was going to chime in and ask why would you call over a missing middle name. I would try and get seats assigned in F on HA on the phone and then at the airport. But AA does not have to protect you in F on an upgrade instrument.
fremontflyer likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Useless information, but I do feel bad for you OP. Whilst everyone is basically right that you shouldn't have called back, don't be too hard on yourself or take their replies personally. But do kindly heed their advice should a strange situation as this come up again.

On a different note, could you have waited and called back each day until an open business seat opened up, lots of people are making and cancelling and holding reservations these days... alas.

Have a wonderful time!
fremontflyer likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Useless information
Maybe... if you want to fly coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.