Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Boeing 777 Seating Guide (772 Zodiac & Collins, 77W / 773)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2021, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Community seat recommendations and those seats to be mindful of:

Boeing 777-200ER version 1 (19 in fleet)
Flagship Business: (ZodiacConcept D Business Suite“ angled forward and aft facing seats)
Seats 1ADH, 2L, 3ADH, 4L, 5ADH, and 6L are rearward facing
Seats 1L, 2ADH, 3L, 4ADH, and 5L are forward facing
Seats 7A and 7L have only one window

Main Cabin Extra:
Seats 18A and 18L have a window blank

Boeing 777-200ER version 2 (28 in fleet)
Flagship Business: (Collins “Super Diamond“ forward angled seats)
Seat 6L has only one window
Seats 7A and 7L have only one window

Main Cabin Extra:
Seats 18A and 18L have a window blank

Boeing 777-300ER
Flagship Business:

Seats 3A and 3J have only one window
Ambient noise in the forward cabin is noticeably louder than it is in the rear business cabin
Seats 11A and 11J have only one window
Seats 14A and 14J have only one window

Main Cabin Extra:
Seats 16A and 16L have no windows
Seats 17A and 17L have limited window views
Seats 31A and 31L have no windows

Print Wikipost

AA Boeing 777 Seating Guide (772 Zodiac & Collins, 77W / 773)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2021, 8:40 am

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
I was in Spain at the end of my Air Force tenure and the flight back to the states was on an Air Force military passenger jet. I learned that every USAF passenger jet had all backward facing seats. This was considered a safety feature since in the event of a hard landing everyone would be pushed into the seat back instead of arcing forward. However, this was not adopted by commercial airlines because it was felt that the flying public would not go for it. Kind of funny since people sit on trains facing backward and don't really worry about it.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
If I recall, all 772 flights show the forward facing seatmap until a few days before the flight when the aircraft is assigned, so you probably did not miss anything at booking. Luck of the draw.
I always try to book 2A/2L in any version of the 788/789/772, to get the backward facing seats near the front, in case of aircraft changes. Backward seats are more private, safer in a case of an accident, and a tad safer for COVID (especially 2A/2L).
Old Feb 8, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I like the backwards facing seat better because my head's closer to the window and it's easier to look out.
Antarius, GrumpyYoungMan and zdfld like this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Catbert10
I like the backwards facing seat better because my head's closer to the window and it's easier to look out.
That is a major plus!

The only thing that tips in favor of fwd facing for me is the takeoff feeling. That feeling of being pushed backwards into your seat is excellent.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:29 am

Programs: AA PPro
Some people sensitive to motion sickness and disorientation may not prefer to fly backwards, however I think rarely is the source of complaints with Concept D specifically just that some of the seats face backwards. After all Q-suites is considered a if not the best business class and it has alternating forward and backwards seats as well. I like flying backwards, better views over the wing.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 11:02 am

Southwest used to have a small number of backwards facing seats. Was strange to look at someone else the entire flight. I don't think they do that anymore. Does anyone else remember this or am I imagining it?
PUCCI GALORE and MichaelKade like this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
I always try to book 2A/2L in any version of the 788/789/772, to get the backward facing seats near the front, in case of aircraft changes. Backward seats are more private, safer in a case of an accident, and a tad safer for COVID (especially 2A/2L).
2A/L on the 772 is forward facing.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
I've traveled backwards on planes a few times and many times on trains and buses.
Makes no difference to me
Good to hear that there are folks averse to rear facing seats, that way they leave them up for grabs for those of us that do not mind them.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by pfreet
Southwest used to have a small number of backwards facing seats. Was strange to look at someone else the entire flight. I don't think they do that anymore. Does anyone else remember this or am I imagining it?
They had a few sets of seats facing each other. Was great if you were a group flying together. You could get a family gin rummy / pinochle game on at 35,000 ft!

https://community.southwest.com/t5/B...ing/ba-p/42793
Old Feb 8, 2021, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Dash 7 used to have them
Old Feb 8, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by enviroian
Dash 7 used to have them
US Airways used to have some Dash 8's with rear facing at the front. Definitely not enough legroom to share with strangers on that plane.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Clear
Originally Posted by fotographer
shoot.. I thought this thread about a plane that could fly backwards... oh well
Hahahahaha

Originally Posted by VSLover
i guess i recall the feeling at takeoff or landing when facing backwards the first few times but frankly i much prefer that over forward facing. literally hundreds of flights later i ensure i opt for a backwards facing seat on BA and AA when i can. definitely more comfortable for me.
ok, I guess I was just a backward flying virgin and I will have to try it again. I did not hate it, just felt strange the first time
Old Feb 8, 2021, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I know, but as AA maniacly keeps swapping aircraft between 788/789/772, 2A/2L are always there to keep you on the right seat... Plus 2A/L are also good seats on the 772.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by pfreet
You are not imagining it. I loved those Southwest planes!
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Partially correct. 2A is forward facing, but 2L is backward facing.
iadisgreat and madmanshoney like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.