Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge international access changes April 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2021, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge access policy changes

Effective date: 1 April 2021

According to “Lucky” at One Mile At a Time blog, AA will enact significant lounge access changes on April 1, 2021. These changes are initially called interim changes, which means actual lounge utilization may effectuate further changes to access. Below is a summary of Lucky’s information. Read the full article here.

Admirals Club access for all international flightsStarting April 1, 2021, the following customers will receive Admirals Club access when traveling on any international itinerary to & from the US, plus flights to & from the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico:
  • Ticketed first class customers
  • Ticketed business class customers
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum members
  • AAdvantage Platinum Pro members
  • AAdvantage Platinum members
Flagship Lounge access cuts on some international flights

Starting April 1, 2021, the following customers will no longer receive Flagship Lounge access when traveling to Mexico City and Central America, but rather will be directed to the Admirals Club:
Executive Platinum members lose Flagship Lounge access to Mexico City and Central America, though logically this change does make sense, and I do believe it eliminates some confusion:
  • Now anyone flying in a “Flagship” branded premium cabin will get Flagship Lounge access, while all other international premium travelers will get Admirals Club access.

Print Wikipost

Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge international access changes April 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2021, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Exclamation Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge international access changes April 2021

https://onemileatatime.com/american-...access-policy/
The list below explains which customers now receive AC access, however, Flagship Lounge access has been cut for MEX and Central America PLT or higher pax. Non-AA OWS/OWE's still have their usual policy.Starting April 1, 2021, the following customers will receive Admirals Club access when traveling on any international itinerary to & from the US, plus flights to & from the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico:
Old Jan 27, 2021, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
As a cash paying membership I fine that AA is opening this up to destinations that previously were considered domestic. However, that's based upon AA opening up ACs at hub airports that remain close. In particular if the MIA AC D15 and maybe E (not sure if the renovations were ever completed) aren't open the D30 AC will be out of control. I don't want to get turned away or walk in and find no open seats.

Probably ditto for PHX and LAX.
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 12:42 pm

From AA.com, for First/Business: For a limited time: Starting April 1, 2021, qualifying international flights will include flights between the U.S. and Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico. Includes customers in First or Business on a qualifying departing international or transcontinental flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld® airline.*

And then, for EXP, PP, Plat: For a limited time: Starting April 1, 2021, qualifying international flights will include flights between the U.S. and Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico. Includes customers on qualifying departing international flights marketed and operated by American or a oneworld® airline (regardless of cabin).
Old Jan 27, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Assume this change was made to align with the upcoming introduction of AS to OW, and an interest by AS in providing lounge access on their Int’l flights. Makes sense, and the loss of FL access on those short-haul Int’l flights (and, I would assume, not allowing newly minted OW elites on AS to overwhelm the FL at LAX) not a major loss.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 1:02 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
From the oneworld website:

Originally Posted by oneworld.com
Limited Time Offer: Effective 1 April 2021, American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members will be eligible for lounge access when travelling on any oneworld marketed or operated international flight. For more information, visit American Airlines’ website.
They probably meant "marketed and operated" there, but it's something.

I think this is definitely to align the policy with Alaska, but it's also possible this signals the end of FL access on domestic / North American itineraries for OWE/OWS members of other programs like BA -- if directing people to the Admirals Club is within oneworld policy, AA will probably start doing that.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
As an EXP with AC membership who flies to Central America a lot, this really sucks. This eliminates one of the major reasons I preferred AA over UA to Central America. Seems like a strange time to align customer service downward to match competitors.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Catbert10
As an EXP with AC membership who flies to Central America a lot, this really sucks.
While I am not EXP, a better way to do this would be to cut it for PLT and PRO. Especially now that PRO is also OWE so there should be some differentiation from EXP.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
While I am not EXP, a better way to do this would be to cut it for PLT and PRO. Especially now that PRO is also OWE so there should be some differentiation from EXP.
That would be nice.

But largely, I understand why they are doing this. The FLs are zoos.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I don't want overcrowded Admiral's Clubs either but then again with rice krispie treats and cookies on offer there really isn't a reason to go there. I don't see AC's resuming normal service until well into 2021, if ever really.
AA100k likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Assume this change was made to align with the upcoming introduction of AS to OW, and an interest by AS in providing lounge access on their Int’l flights. Makes sense, and the loss of FL access on those short-haul Int’l flights (and, I would assume, not allowing newly minted OW elites on AS to overwhelm the FL at LAX) not a major loss.
Yeah, I think so too (and am totally unsurprised). It makes sense to define the rules so there's simply no lounge access within AS's network, rather than applying the current AA rules AS, which would allow lounge access on flights to a grand total of two AS cities (Costa Rica). And it also makes sense for AA and AS to have the same rule. But gaining Admirals Club access on short haul international itineraries is a nice and unexpected plus.

Last edited by ashill; Jan 27, 2021 at 3:13 pm
Old Jan 27, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by ashill
But gaining Admirals Club access on short haul international itineraries is a nice and unexpected plus.
UA *Gs have gotten UC access on similar itineraries for years. AA providing AC access is long overdue.

Agree though that they need to open up more ACs if necessary to match anticipated demand.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Would it kill AA to implement a change that would take zero effort in lieu of no IFL access?

Offering premium drink coupons......

I had to pay $7 for a Stella at the D AC in December for my trip to LHR. Come on AA!
Old Jan 27, 2021, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by econ
UA *Gs have gotten UC access on similar itineraries for years. AA providing AC access is long overdue.
Yes, but AA hasn't felt the need to match UA (and DL) in the decades in which this has been true. I don't see why UA and DL would suddenly motivate them to change; what's new on April 1 is AS joining oneworld, so it's hard for me to ignore the likelihood that that's the immediate cause. Of course, AS has always offered lounge access on all non-upgrade first class tickets.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Yes, but AA hasn't felt the need to match UA (and DL) in the decades in which this has been true. I don't see why UA and DL would suddenly motivate them to change
I doubt that matching UA/DL was their motivation as well. Point was that other airlines already had less restrictive lounge access policies surrounding short-haul international, so AA allowing AC access here isn’t exactly groundbreaking.

Of course, AS has always offered lounge access on all non-upgrade first class tickets.
Has there been any word if this policy will continue after they join OW?
Old Jan 28, 2021, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
On my last international trip in Dec20... all FL of course closed.. so you would think that the few AA clubs that were open would have offered "free" [premium drinks... of course not
AA I know has more to worry about.. but when I hear after a phone call from AA.. that a lot of EXP were complaining about this.. failure to take an action.. probably just happy at how much
they are saving... ok time to get my annual physical

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.