Wiki Posts
Search

Evouchers and denied boarding credit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2021, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Evouchers and denied boarding credit

Just payed for a trip using denied boarding compensation and a evouchers for seat upgrades not used due to canceled flight. What a headache. Could not use them online, keep error in out. So called, was finally able to combine the two credits on one ticket. Now need to mail both documents to AA in Fort Worth before they will issue the ticket. It is a return flight, and agent said I may not get the confirmation until a few days before flight. Does this seem right to you? Will never volunteer for denied boarding again. United and Southwest is so much easier to work with.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 2:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by mrlasssen
Does this seem right to you?
Yes.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 3:58 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I've been through this exact process many times. AA has a long history of asking customers to mail certain vouchers. It generally takes a week or two for things to be ticketed.

As an alternative you can take the physical vouchers to an airport with an AA check-in counter, and they will ticket it for you immediately. Still a headache, but at least it's quick.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Yes this is the procedure as I recently went through the same process. I was able to ticket a dfw-lhr flight in June then use my SWU's to grab seats. It was then put into "pending" status as they waited for me to mail in my vouchers to an office in Fort Worth. It's been three weeks and they are still pending but a quick PM to AA's twitter and they said all is good it's just taking longer than usual to process (they confirmed the received the paper vouchers).
Old Jan 17, 2021, 3:33 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It’s hit or miss whether they charge the in-person ticketing fees when you do so.

As long as they did receive the mailed paper voucher, you’re fine. They process them in order of departure and will get around to it in time. That’s why they have you put the PNR and travel date on the outside of the envelope.

I’m happy they at least have some electronic ones now, They used to all be on paper
Old Jan 17, 2021, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Update, figured it out. The trip is a multi city, two one ways booked together because it priced out cheaper than two one ways. But, wound up booking two separate reservations for $20 more total. Then paid for one of the two on the phone with the eVouchers. Then went to the airport, Yuma, AZ, so easy to get to and free parking. Then paid for second ticket, which was now less then the value of the paper voucher. Since it was less than the value of the voucher the price reduces. No one can tell me why, but got an additional $40 in residual value and moved the expiration date to today, adding an additional 6 months to use it. So, saved about $20 for the hassle.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I think there's a certain charge that is not collected when you purchase a ticket at the airport. I always turn them in at the airport. I wish AA would move to all electronic vouchers but I assume a certain percentage lose or forget about paper vouchers.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
It’s hit or miss whether they charge the in-person ticketing fees when you do so.

As long as they did receive the mailed paper voucher, you’re fine. They process them in order of departure and will get around to it in time. That’s why they have you put the PNR and travel date on the outside of the envelope.

I’m happy they at least have some electronic ones now, They used to all be on paper
Why would they charge a fee, since can't handle this online?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Update, figured it out. The trip is a multi city, two one ways booked together because it priced out cheaper than two one ways. But, wound up booking two separate reservations for $20 more total. Then paid for one of the two on the phone with the eVouchers. Then went to the airport, Yuma, AZ, so easy to get to and free parking. Then paid for second ticket, which was now less then the value of the paper voucher. Since it was less than the value of the voucher the price reduces. No one can tell me why, but got an additional $40 in residual value and moved the expiration date to today, adding an additional 6 months to use it. So, saved about $20 for the hassle.
Some of the taxes get waived when paying with a voucher, certain airfare taxes are based on % of actual money paid for the ticket. If the voucher was for a denied boarding compensation then those taxes are waived for the amount of the voucher.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MathMusic
Some of the taxes get waived when paying with a voucher, certain airfare taxes are based on % of actual money paid for the ticket. If the voucher was for a denied boarding compensation then those taxes are waived for the amount of the voucher.
IME the waiving of certain taxes only occurs when the value of the voucher is greater than the total cost of the ticket (including all taxes). I recently redeemed a $500 voucher on a $515 ticket (total of airfare and taxes) and I had to pay the additional $15.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 7:37 am

Very slow processing!

Just payed for a trip using denied boarding compensation and a evouchers for seat upgrades not used due to canceled flight. What a headache. Could not use them online, keep error in out. So called, was finally able to combine the two credits on one ticket. Now need to mail both documents to AA in Fort Worth before they will issue the ticket. It is a return flight, and agent said I may not get the confirmation until a few days before flight. Does this seem right to you? Will never volunteer for denied boarding again. United and Southwest is so much easier to work with.
yes, even though I sent the document via priority mail, with tracking number, several weeks before my flights, ticket was issued just a few days before departure!
Old Jan 19, 2021, 1:29 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I’d consider that a feature, at least historically. You can cancel or change it for free while it’s in that pending but unticketed status waiting for the voucher to be processed, although nowadays with Covid rules it doesn’t matter.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler
yes, even though I sent the document via priority mail, with tracking number, several weeks before my flights, ticket was issued just a few days before departure!
This is why I felt it necessary to go to the airport and get ticketed. It is impossible to make other arrangements when you could could receive a call at the last minute telling you there is a problem. Very poor system on AA’s part. I have used United and Southwest vouchers and their systems are so much easier to use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.