Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA718 LGA to MIA (737 MAX 8) four hour delay due to ATC COVID cleaning (To merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA718 LGA to MIA (737 MAX 8) four hour delay due to ATC COVID cleaning (To merge)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

AA718 LGA to MIA has a four hour delay. I'm guessing maintenance since weather does not appear to be a problem. This is the end of the first week American returned the MAX to service. I'm wondering how big of an issue maintenance will be on aircraft that were setting idle for months and months. I know they were maintained but that's not the same as flying hours.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by TEBraniff
AA718 LGA to MIA has a four hour delay. I'm guessing maintenance since weather does not appear to be a problem. This is the end of the first week American returned the MAX to service. I'm wondering how big of an issue maintenance will be on aircraft that were setting idle for months and months. I know they were maintained but that's not the same as flying hours.
I looked AA718 up on flightaware and found ...

Miami Intl is experiencing delays

• all inbound flights being held at their origin until Monday at 06:30PM EST due to traffic volume
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL718
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
There were multiple ground stops issued for MIA, PBI, TPA, FLL, MCO that ended / were cancelled around an hour ago looking like there were ATC staffing issues (perhaps CV-19?).

David
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by DELee
There were multiple ground stops issued for MIA, PBI, TPA, FLL, MCO that ended / were cancelled around an hour ago looking like there were ATC staffing issues (perhaps CV-19?).

David
Sounds similar to the ground stops that hit central Texas a couple of days ago.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by DELee

David
Confirming CV-19 impact:

ZJX CONTINUES WITH INITIATIVES FOR AIRCRAFT DELAYED FROM COVID CLEANING,
POSSIBLE DEPARTURE DELAYS DEPARTING SOUTH FLORIDA DUE TO ZJX RESTRICTIONS.
Originally Posted by cheltzel
Would need to see the date(s).

Getting back to the thread topic, it looks like the ATC CV-19 cleaning is the reason why this afternoon/evening flights into/out of MIA specifically were impacted, not because the A/C was a MAX or a maintenance issue.

David

p.s. FWIW, looks like additional ground stop into DFW for the next hour because of other CV-19 impacts (as well as diversion recovery underway for both DFW and DAL):

CUSTOMERS CAN EXPECT POSSIBLE ARRIVAL HOLDING INTO THE D10 TRACON
METROPLEX DUE TO COVID CLEANING OPERATIONAL TRANSFER. HOLDING IS
EXPECTED UNTIL 0230Z WITH DELAYS IN EXCESS OF 30 MINUTES.

Last edited by DELee; Jan 4, 2021 at 6:32 pm
Old Jan 4, 2021, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Yes, the Jacksonville, FL en route center (ZJX) was closed for several hours (ATC-0) for COVID cleaning. Flights were being routed west and far east over the water where possible and where it could be done. ZAB is also expected to take a hit tonight and tomorrow night.

https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_spt.jsp
Old Jan 4, 2021, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Here's a map of the ZJX AOR so you know how big of an effect this was:

platbrownguy likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
you mean north texas
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:48 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
There were extensive procedures put in place to get the MAX up and safely flying after they had been parked. As others have noted, this delay was not due to an MX or WX issue.

On a side note, my fiancé is a captain on the MAX, and feels very comfortable with the changes made, and the safety of the airplane itself.
catmndu likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: MYOB
deleted
Old Jan 7, 2021, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by dallaspopo
you mean north texas
Yes I was caught in that. I did a connection in DFW because it would have gotten me in much sooner than the direct flight. Between the diversion to IAH and the ground stop it was 13 hours getting to PHX. Strong weather also made operations a mess.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 10:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There’s an extensive process required to “de-mothball” aircraft and restoration to service that includes, in this case, the modifications required by the FAA, inspection, maintenance and test flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.