Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rubbermaid tote as checked luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Rubbermaid tote as checked luggage?

Just would like to confirm that a Rubbermaid tote which falls within the dimension and weight criteria for checked baggage is acceptable. This would be for a domestic non-stop itinerary (regional jet).
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I've seen all kinds of checked bags, and Rubbermaid tote sounds pretty tame. I would strap or tape the lid down so it won't open during handling, and allow the luggage tag to go on the strap. You should not have any problem checking it.
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by CIT85
I've seen all kinds of checked bags, and Rubbermaid tote sounds pretty tame. I would strap or tape the lid down so it won't open during handling, and allow the luggage tag to go on the strap. You should not have any problem checking it.
+1...people literally check cardboard boxes sometimes!!
HofstraJet and Antarius like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Just would like to confirm that a Rubbermaid tote which falls within the dimension and weight criteria for checked baggage is acceptable. This would be for a domestic non-stop itinerary (regional jet).
I've done this. Just make sure it is well taped and has a return address and you should be good.
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by donotblink
I've been the one that checks in a cardboard box! At the last minute ended up with far more cr*p to take home than expected!
lamphs and Antarius like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Yea.. I've seen several Totes covered completely with duck tape come out on the baggage claim carousel. ANC airport during a couple of snowy arrivals is one place where I've seen a lot of them come out too. Must be the preferred way to get stuff tossed in the back of trucks and away they go!
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by meechyathere
I've been the one that checks in a cardboard box! At the last minute ended up with far more cr*p to take home than expected!
After a meeting in Portland, I needed to ship a bankers box back to DC. Fed Ex said -- we can't accept it, because the lid is separate from the box, and it has to be seamless. I then remembered that my AS ticket included a free checked bag (normally I only carry-on), so I instead checked the bankers box for free back to DC. Not easy to handle both that and my carryons from the baggage claim area to the taxicab area, but it worked. The bankers box survived AS quite well, although sufficiently scuffed that I ended up putting it with the recycling.

Last edited by AndyPatterson; Dec 30, 2020 at 5:42 pm
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:21 pm

Cooler as checked luggage

We checked a full size Coleman cooler (ice chest) as luggage. Used painters tape around the cooler to keep the lid on/closed. No problem.

Good luck!
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
For me, anything that needs to go one way goes in a box. So I'm one of them.

​​​​​​
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Heck, someone did this!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-40577923 .
Some heroes don't wear capes.
dcmike and largeeyes like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's a non-issue. AA describes the dimensions & weight and then includes some exclusions for items such as explosives. Other than that, whether it's what you call a suitcase, a box or a tote is irrelevant. Note that if it isn't properly sealed/taped/clasped, it won't be accepted and you have to plan on the possibility that TSA may open & inspect it.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
LOL, try some planes full of people -- check out the check-in lines for LAX-MNL some time, it's quite a sight!!
SPN Lifer and jdawg like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:13 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
... I instead checked the bankers box for free back to DC. Not easy to handle both that and my carryons from the baggage claim area to the taxicab area, but it worked...
I did the exact same thing when moving to a new office in ORD. The walk from AA baggage claim to the ride share pick-up area was awful
Old Dec 31, 2020, 12:13 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
- Yes, I did that (i.e., cardbox) to bring some book to my son. The box barely survived...
Old Dec 31, 2020, 12:18 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Antarius
Heck, someone did this!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-40577923 .
Some heroes don't wear capes.
- My youngster was inspired by this. So we checked in a small plastic portfolio (the one you get as a freebie at conferences) with 1 can of diet coke. That thing survived DEN to MIA just fine.
dcmike and Antarius like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.