Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EXPs: when was the last time you missed an upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EXPs: when was the last time you missed an upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I noted in another thread I'm seeing upfare offers while I'm in the EXP upgrade window. I'm assuming all paxs on that flight seated in Y may see the same offer if they have mobile downloaded or check their reservation on desktop. I'm assuming if the offer is half way decent some paxs to get out of the hell that Y has become take the offer. I can either take such offer or roll the dice. Or in other words "no upgrade for you EXP."
Old Jul 20, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I noted in another thread I'm seeing upfare offers while I'm in the EXP upgrade window. I'm assuming all paxs on that flight seated in Y may see the same offer if they have mobile downloaded or check their reservation on desktop. I'm assuming if the offer is half way decent some paxs to get out of the hell that Y has become take the offer. I can either take such offer or roll the dice. Or in other words "no upgrade for you EXP."
I'm hearing reports from nonstatus friends that (very cheap) upgrades are being offered for sale. Two alone this week from PBI to ASE (via DFW), which struck me as unlikely as PBI-DFW is usually a long elite upgrade waitlist segment (16 seat cabin where 3 or 4 clear at most from a list of 20+). DFW-ASE also has a long elite upgrade list usually. Most recently a friend flew in to Aspen Saturday on a roughly $1200 coach ticket (she said F was $2000 when she ticketed), and she was given a $70 upgrade offer plus they refunded her the extra $$$ she had paid for MCE, so it was almost free.

Is it possible that AA is "adjusting" F fares close to flight to allow for cheap upfares to high-value coach pax?
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by fastflyer
I'm hearing reports from nonstatus friends that (very cheap) upgrades are being offered for sale. Two alone this week from PBI to ASE (via DFW), which struck me as unlikely as PBI-DFW is usually a long elite upgrade waitlist segment (16 seat cabin where 3 or 4 clear at most from a list of 20+). DFW-ASE also has a long elite upgrade list usually. Most recently a friend flew in to Aspen Saturday on a roughly $1200 coach ticket (she said F was $2000 when she ticketed), and she was given a $70 upgrade offer plus they refunded her the extra $$$ she had paid for MCE, so it was almost free.

Is it possible that AA is "adjusting" F fares close to flight to allow for cheap upfares to high-value coach pax?
Ding, ding we have a winner. AA (and other airlines) are conditioning their elites that complimentary upgrades are going away. You will pay something to sit up, front such as PLTs and GOLDs do now. If AA knows they can sell those seats, even for modest amounts, AA is leaving money on the table when it hands that seat to you and me for free.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, B6, DL, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton, National
Ding, ding we have a winner. AA (and other airlines) are conditioning their elites that complimentary upgrades are going away. You will pay something to sit up, front such as PLTs and GOLDs do now. If AA knows they can sell those seats, even for modest amounts, AA is leaving money on the table when it hands that seat to you and me for free.
Glad I’m retiring in another year or so. I started flying heavily six years ago (new job late in my career). Chose AA because they didn’t aggressively upsell at low dollar amounts. Not flying from a hub, I have enjoyed a ~90% upgrade rate as an EXP. This year I’m still at 90%, but last few flights I’ve seen J5 or 6 morph to J2 or J1 just before the 100 hour window. Had a couple flights upgrade at T-24 and some at the gate. Unfortunately, I think you are correct in your observation.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 2:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Last Thursday I missed the 10 AM RDU-DCA E75. I was #1 and my fiancé at #2 for one seat. We elected to not split. Shocking to miss this flight but then again with paid F at $49 over Y enough people seem to have bought it.

First missed upgrade since July 18.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:34 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Missed one this past week on LAX-DEN, the kicker was I was next on the list and they closed the door with an open seat. Good thing alcohol and food for purchase are available in Y, oh wAAit.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Read a DL investor presentation 3 or so years ago in which the carrier said that currently (then) they were “monetizing” dom F only 25% or so (ie, paid F or paid UPG into F) while within several years (now?) they were intending that to increase to 80% or more. So, yes. The days of comp upgrades are coming to end.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Today.

AA 626
I was 5 out of 23 for 1 seat.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Never... haven't had a chance to book Y yet
Old Oct 31, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
I remain on the upgrade list about 1 out of 3 flights as an Exec. Plat. Twice this past month the gate agent has allowed two F seats to go unoccupied. These were functional seats, not purchased by others as explained to me by the flight attendants.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Never... haven't had a chance to book Y yet
Tough life you live
Old Oct 31, 2021, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
There's a threshold though. If the chances of upgrades dry up, then why bother holding high status? You can easily do better and cheaper by splitting between 2 or 3 programs.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Read a DL investor presentation 3 or so years ago in which the carrier said that currently (then) they were “monetizing” dom F only 25% or so (ie, paid F or paid UPG into F) while within several years (now?) they were intending that to increase to 80% or more. So, yes. The days of comp upgrades are coming to end.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 3:16 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
There's a threshold though. If the chances of upgrades dry up, then why bother holding high status? You can easily do better and cheaper by splitting between 2 or 3 programs.
The only reason imho is for better phone access in IRROPS situations, along with OWE status primarily for foreign lounge access.

But AS 75K or BA Gold are looking like better OWE anchors. In the latter case, free AAdmirals Club access too.
ghsbass0406 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 10:29 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Today DFW to LGA #2 on the upgrade list and number 1 cleared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.