Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NYC-Aruba: AA 1-stop in business or B6 nonstop in coach?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC-Aruba: AA 1-stop in business or B6 nonstop in coach?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2020, 5:51 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
Also recommend AA, that's a great price, plus more options if something goes wrong.
B6 actually restored their IROPS interline agreement with AA at the beginning of this year, so if something goes wrong... you might end up flying AA in coach!
Old Dec 8, 2020, 10:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VFR
B6 actually restored their IROPS interline agreement with AA at the beginning of this year, so if something goes wrong... you might end up flying AA in coach!
Ah interesting. Thanks for the clarification. It will be interesting to see how it plays out as I possibly see B6 sending more passengers over to AA than vice versa, except for B6 markets where they are larger than AA such as JFK, FLL, BOS, MCO etc.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Ah interesting. Thanks for the clarification. It will be interesting to see how it plays out as I possibly see B6 sending more passengers over to AA than vice versa, except for B6 markets where they are larger than AA such as JFK, FLL, BOS, MCO etc.
Having an interline agreement does not mean B6 will actually use it. I have not heard of any instances yet where B6 actually rebooked anyone on a different carrier.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 7:12 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Shame you have to re-clear security to get from the AA gates to the B6 gates in JFK and BOS (they are building a B-C connector in BOS). If B6 builds up LAX, it could potentially be quite useful for folks in LAX too.

Originally Posted by dls25
Having an interline agreement does not mean B6 will actually use it. I have not heard of any instances yet where B6 actually rebooked anyone on a different carrier.
They might be waiting for the broader AA/B6 agreement to be finalized. I have heard that B6 is excited to be able to rebook folks on a legacy when things go wrong.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dls25
I was once rebooked onto a B6 LAX-EWR because AS canceled my original LAX-EWR flight one night before and could not offer an alternative nonstop option on AS. If the same happens to B6 and another carrier could provide similar service, then they might book onto another carrier.

If irrops is a huge concern, I think OP should do some search on what flights are available on the same day on AA and B6 flying into AUA, and if there's really an option that gets OP to AUA without an overnight. For instance, for today Dec 9th, the latest departure from the US to AUA is the 12pm MIA-AUA flight, which means in the case of irrops OP still needs to get to Miami before 11:30 am, otherwise an overnight in NYC or an AA hub, which does not present much flexibility. On the other hand, B6's direct flight has fewer of these issues because JFK as a B6 hub has backup aircraft (if it went mechanical) and if there's a weather condition, nonstop will get me more assured.
Travel experience-wise, I'll go for AA, for larger seats, lounge if eligible, fewer people surrounding, point-earning on Oneworld, etc.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I just saw this thread and started looking at the flying options for flying NYC to AUA.

There is a pretty low cost option to fly AA NS from LGA to AUA. It means flying exclusively on AA606/AA2748 that operate only on Saturdays. But you can get nonstop business class between LGA and AUA for $565.55

Bookable via Google Flights. I am seeing this fare basically every Saturday (usually at least 3 Saturdays each month) starting Jan 9 and continues through mid March where it goes up to ~$575.and up to ~$612 in April.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Either way, you will need a COVID test. If Aruba lets you do it after arrival, I would not recommend going that route.
If you test positive, then than it is better to know your status before you fly.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Interesting thoughts about the interlining (of which I wasn't aware); thanks for all the discussion and advice. I've made the decision to go with AA as I do think the overall experience will be better; I don't mind the extra flying time and I don't want to leave so early in the morning (although I agree once I'm on the plane and fall asleep again, it's out of mind).

Originally Posted by JALOO5-Flyer
If irrops is a huge concern, I think OP should do some search on what flights are available....For instance, for today Dec 9th, the latest departure from the US to AUA is the 12pm MIA-AUA flight....
Travel experience-wise, I'll go for AA, for larger seats, lounge if eligible, fewer people surrounding, point-earning on Oneworld, etc.
Thanks and yes, I do this regularly. There's an earlier set of flights on the same routing, which could be an option if it looks like there might be weather-related delays, or I could position myself to get to CLT the night before or from PHL or something like that.

For such a cheap business fare (I class), it's probably better to credit to AS for 150% of actual miles flown, correct? I value AS miles highly.

Originally Posted by cheltzel
There is a pretty low cost option to fly AA NS from LGA to AUA. It means flying exclusively on AA606/AA2748 that operate only on Saturdays.
I wonder whether this is a new addition to the schedule. I booked the outbound before I booked the inbound, and I didn't remember seeing AA nonstops a couple weeks ago. I'm coming back on a Saturday and suddenly this nonstop started appearing as an option for my date (January 2). But it's much more expensive than my booking back through CLT (which was $140 -- a $62 base fare -- plus I picked a couple MCE seats).

Originally Posted by mvoight
Either way, you will need a COVID test. If Aruba lets you do it after arrival, I would not recommend going that route.
Yup, I did a test run this week with a place that delivered results in 33 hours. Hopefully it'll be the same when I go again next week. The test on arrival is a last resort, but it's nice to know it's an option.

Seth
platbrownguy and JALOO5-Flyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.