Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Hawaii flights: 500 mile upgrade certs only upgrading to Premium Economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii flights: 500 mile upgrade certs only upgrading to Premium Economy?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2021, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by meechyathere
Was told that Yes e500s are for Y -> J and not Y -> PE, and also, that Y -> PE is considered a 'Seat Upgrade, Not a Cabin Upgrade.' However, after doing some research/calling around, she was not able to find any mechanism of paying for this Seat Upgrade other than Mileage, and LFBU if it happens to be offered (which it was not for either of our DFW/OGG flights)

She did offer to refund 4 of the 8 stickers because: "After all, your companion was upgraded to PE, so we do have to charge you something."
You must have some terrible luck running into these agents who make up the looniest rules. Refunding 4 out of 8 stickers? What on earth even is that?

There is no way to go Y to PE, other than as a LFBU. It's not even a seat upgrade like MCE, on flights where PE is actually sold as PE.

I saw that Gary Leff did a write up on your situation... was kinda hoping you'd be back with a more promising update by now... Yikes!
wrp96, ChurnieEls and meechyathere like this.
Old May 12, 2021, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
You must have some terrible luck running into these agents who make up the looniest rules. Refunding 4 out of 8 stickers? What on earth even is that?

There is no way to go Y to PE, other than as a LFBU. It's not even a seat upgrade like MCE, on flights where PE is actually sold as PE.

I saw that Gary Leff did a write up on your situation... was kinda hoping you'd be back with a more promising update by now... Yikes!
Right?! Craziness at each turn. I can 100% confirm that the Maui agents are trained to do upgrades to PE with stickers. Had a long discussion about this with the agent who was working the bag booth on arrival. She said "oh.. it's quite a process." The procedure they're following is to clear UGs into R (which requires some kind of override as J will presumably be full), and then assign them seats in PE. Sure enough, that's what was done on our return flight. Turns out a fellow FTer was on the same flight as us, and saw us at the podium!

And I have a good update to share! Finally the crazy streak hath broken! Gary and I were in touch, and he gavd them a nudge. Many thanks to Gary Leff / View from the Wing!! Got a call today from THE NICEST person I think I have talked to at any airline. I filled him in on the whole story and counted the "WOW"s and "Holy Smokes"ses.

* Right off the bat, he told me stickers never should have been charged, and gave me all 8 back, and an extra five. Yay!
* He apologized up and down for the numerous letters containing incorrect info. He also said he's never heard of this "single point of contact" system, and that the idea that she couldn't have escalated the issue is absurd. "My department is specifically to handle escalated issues."
* He seemed very concerned when I told him about the gate issues at DFW (which he hadn't yet been briefed on.) He said he could fully understand me being furious. "This priority list looks very different when you take out the NO SPLIT" was one thing he said. He confirmed that I should have been called up and asked if we wanted to splitz and told me that when he and his wife are up for one seat in J, they always split, and that it's relatively rare that you find people that don't want to do so. Especially on a flight like that with a lieflat and a nice meal service.
He said there will be more followup about that, and fully understood that that along with the letters were my main concerns, with the stuff at OGG secondary.
*Finally, he said he couldn't believe how many different made-up things I was told: "FIRST" being printed on a boarding pass meaning "First to board the aircraft." - he actually laughed when I told him about that. The story I was fed about the D1 being a deadheading captain. "A deadheading captain would never be D1." Etc.

Overall, I really felt like I was understood in all of these issues, and aside from the subject matter it was an incredibly pleasant conversation!

Phew!!
Old May 12, 2021, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Right?! Craziness at each turn. I can 100% confirm that the Maui agents are trained to do upgrades to PE with stickers. Had a long discussion about this with the agent who was working the bag booth on arrival. She said "oh.. it's quite a process." The procedure they're following is to clear UGs into R (which requires some kind of override as J will presumably be full), and then assign them seats in PE. Sure enough, that's what was done on our return flight. Turns out a fellow FTer was on the same flight as us, and saw us at the podium!

And I have a good update to share! Finally the crazy streak hath broken! Gary and I were in touch, and he gavd them a nudge. Many thanks to Gary Leff / View from the Wing!! Got a call today from THE NICEST person I think I have talked to at any airline. I filled him in on the whole story and counted the "WOW"s and "Holy Smokes"ses.

* Right off the bat, he told me stickers never should have been charged, and gave me all 8 back, and an extra five. Yay!
* He apologized up and down for the numerous letters containing incorrect info. He also said he's never heard of this "single point of contact" system, and that the idea that she couldn't have escalated the issue is absurd. "My department is specifically to handle escalated issues."
* He seemed very concerned when I told him about the gate issues at DFW (which he hadn't yet been briefed on.) He said he could fully understand me being furious. "This priority list looks very different when you take out the NO SPLIT" was one thing he said. He confirmed that I should have been called up and asked if we wanted to splitz and told me that when he and his wife are up for one seat in J, they always split, and that it's relatively rare that you find people that don't want to do so. Especially on a flight like that with a lieflat and a nice meal service.
He said there will be more followup about that, and fully understood that that along with the letters were my main concerns, with the stuff at OGG secondary.
*Finally, he said he couldn't believe how many different made-up things I was told: "FIRST" being printed on a boarding pass meaning "First to board the aircraft." - he actually laughed when I told him about that. The story I was fed about the D1 being a deadheading captain. "A deadheading captain would never be D1." Etc.

Overall, I really felt like I was understood in all of these issues, and aside from the subject matter it was an incredibly pleasant conversation!

Phew!!
thanks god some competent people still exist at this airline. It’s a bummer it takes so much publicity though.
Old May 13, 2021, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I am so curious about all of this too! Mine isn't a data point on what the computer said though, since if they had removed NO SPLIT from the reservation like I had asked, it would have presumably told them to give me that last seat in J.

Here's some more minutia: Called the AAdvantage number yesterday. Was told that Yes e500s are for Y -> J and not Y -> PE, and also, that Y -> PE is considered a 'Seat Upgrade, Not a Cabin Upgrade.' However, after doing some research/calling around, she was not able to find any mechanism of paying for this Seat Upgrade other than Mileage, and LFBU if it happens to be offered (which it was not for either of our DFW/OGG flights)

She did offer to refund 4 of the 8 stickers because: "After all, your companion was upgraded to PE, so we do have to charge you something."

They clearly run a tight ship!!
Y > PE for that flight is a cabin upgrade on a 3 (or more) class flight. PE is a different class. The logical way to upgrade is to change to the fare class paid if there are no mileage upgrades.
Given that, I think 1/2 of the sticker upgrade would be a reasonable price. Maybe agents have some info they have been instructed to follow regarding this.
Maybe this issue should be resolve or AA should stop upgrades from Y to PE. I would not expect free upgrades from Y > PE, since PE is a sold as a separate class on this flight.
Old May 13, 2021, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
He seemed very concerned when I told him about the gate issues at DFW (which he hadn't yet been briefed on.) He said he could fully understand me being furious. "This priority list looks very different when you take out the NO SPLIT" was one thing he said. He confirmed that I should have been called up and asked if we wanted to splitz and told me that when he and his wife are up for one seat in J, they always split, and that it's relatively rare that you find people that don't want to do so. Especially on a flight like that with a lieflat and a nice meal service.

[snip]

Good to hear on all counts. I've personally witnessed similar shenanigans on DFW<>Hawaii widebody flights several times, typically involving non-revs miraculously jumping ahead of paying pax using upgrade certs.

Hopefully there will be some additional training for GAs.
Old May 13, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium

Phew!!
...and I am glad to read that it was finally made right, even if it took a bit of help from Gary pleading your case. Hope to see you in the skies again and hopefully to a great destination like OGG!
meechyathere likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by slpybear
...and I am glad to read that it was finally made right, even if it took a bit of help from Gary pleading your case. Hope to see you in the skies again and hopefully to a great destination like OGG!
Thank you! Likewise!!
slpybear likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 1:37 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I am looking at the flights HNL-DFW and HNL-PHX.
Both flights are B789, but the HNL-DFW offers (main cabin, premium economy (P), flagship business(C) and the HNL-PHX offers main cabin, premium economy (P), first (R) to sell.
I am still confused about the complementary (sticker) upgrades for EXP...
If I buy a MC ticket, will I be l listed for
1. HNL-DFW: MC-> PE or MC->Flagship Business upgrade?
2. HNL-PHX: MC->PE or MC->First upgrade?
3. What if I buy a BXP1 eligible MC ticket and apply it to the ticket?
Old Nov 11, 2021, 2:39 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I am looking at the flights HNL-DFW and HNL-PHX.
Both flights are B789, but the HNL-DFW offers (main cabin, premium economy (P), flagship business(C) and the HNL-PHX offers main cabin, premium economy (P), first (R) to sell.
I am still confused about the complementary (sticker) upgrades for EXP...
If I buy a MC ticket, will I be l listed for
1. HNL-DFW: MC-> PE or MC->Flagship Business upgrade?
2. HNL-PHX: MC->PE or MC->First upgrade?
3. What if I buy a BXP1 eligible MC ticket and apply it to the ticket?
In all cases, I​​​​​​f your upgrade clears, you’ll be in the front of the plane. Not in PE.
I don’t know why they call things flagship. No better amenities/service to Hawaii on flights they call Flagship vs. ones where they do not.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by EXPLAT
I don’t know why they call things flagship. No better amenities/service to Hawaii on flights they call Flagship vs. ones where they do not.
Though some PHX-Hawaii flights are on widebodies with lie-flats, this is like any other "random" domestic widebody that could be subbed with a narrowbody. And even if you do have a lucky lie-flat, such a non-Flagship flight is still different, in that there has been no hot meal (for most of 2021), and there is no lounge access. Flagship Hawaii flights do have hot meals and lounge access.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Actually there are, since AA now grants lounge access (including FL lounge) on DFW-HNL (Flagship) but not PHX-HNL (First).
Old Nov 11, 2021, 11:53 am

In all cases, I​​​​​​f your upgrade clears, you’ll be in the front of the plane. Not in PE.
What if First or Flagship Business is full and PE is available? Does AA still clear upgrade and move me to PE?
Old Nov 11, 2021, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Though some PHX-Hawaii flights are on widebodies with lie-flats, this is like any other "random" domestic widebody that could be subbed with a narrowbody. And even if you do have a lucky lie-flat, such a non-Flagship flight is still different, in that there has been no hot meal (for most of 2021), and there is no lounge access. Flagship Hawaii flights do have hot meals and lounge access.
Oh, so does the HNL-PHX flight have often a change of gauge?
Old Nov 11, 2021, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually there are, since AA now grants lounge access (including FL lounge) on DFW-HNL (Flagship) but not PHX-HNL (First).
That's nice if I can use the Sakura Lounge at HNL...
Old Nov 11, 2021, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
What if First or Flagship Business is full and PE is available? Does AA still clear upgrade and move me to PE?
I don't think there is an official way to get to PE using 500 mile upgrades
I think AA should offer one, but I suspect if they do that, they will increase the upgrade to business

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.