Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Fantasizing about the return of the Unlimited AirPass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2020, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Granted, this is purely in the land of hypothetical (and given their last experience, probably should stay there), but how cool would it be if AA issued an updated version of this pass given the need to generate revenue during the Covid crisis? How much would you pay for it? How much do you think they'd actually charge? Do you think there's any way to put enough conditions on it to be feasible?
Old Nov 1, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
It was (based on the story above - based on age of the purchaser, which was 37) $250k in the late 80's. Inflation alone would put that close to $600k today. It also mentions they were sold for $3M in 2004, which would be about $4.2M today.

So, I think $5M or higher is the starting point today if it were to come back.

At $5M, if you are 40 and intend to fly until you are 80, that's 40 years. $125k/yr. If you figure 50 trips a year, that's $2500/trip.

At those rates, I am not sure there is such a value for it. If you fly international biz or first on it, then yes - if you fly domestic then probably not as most would be under $2500/trip.
CodeAdam10 and Spanish like this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Honestly, I just wish they offered the Lifetime Admirals Club membership program again. I would most likely snag it.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
There is someone out there that may decide to fly weekly from LAX to LHR.
That's 12,000 (non sale price) x 52 weeks x 20 years = 12.48 million.

I would not sell it for less than 13m if I was AA

​​​
Old Nov 1, 2020, 2:05 pm

There’s always the risk that they will cancel accounts after purchased.
freeagent and jerseytom like this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by bchandler02
It was (based on the story above - based on age of the purchaser, which was 37) $250k in the late 80's. Inflation alone would put that close to $600k today. It also mentions they were sold for $3M in 2004, which would be about $4.2M today.

At $5M, if you are 40 and intend to fly until you are 80, that's 40 years. $125k/yr. If you figure 50 trips a year, that's $2500/trip.

At those rates, I am not sure there is such a value for it. If you fly international biz or first on it, then yes - if you fly domestic then probably not as most would be under $2500/trip.
The $3M one in 2004 were some promo with Nieman Marcus, and none were sold, IIRC. I don't think they wanted to sell any, hence the price. If they actually did want to sell them now, given their cash burn issues, I'd expect a lower price.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
The $3M one in 2004 were some promo with Nieman Marcus, and none were sold, IIRC. I don't think they wanted to sell any, hence the price. If they actually did want to sell them now, given their cash burn issues, I'd expect a lower price.
What about the guy who was found guilty of violating airpass and AA cancelled his account?
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by fly747first
What about the guy who was found guilty of violating airpass and AA cancelled his account?
He bought one of the original ones in the 80's for like $200K or something.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
He bought one of the original ones in the 80's for like $200K or something.
It's actually a pretty fascinating story. If you haven't seen it before: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-golden-ticket
Old Nov 1, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I suspect it will never return as a lifetime pass. A yearly subscription, or something along those lines, seems possible.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PeterK
It's actually a pretty fascinating story. If you haven't seen it before: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-golden-ticket
Thanks for posting the link! The guy was clearly milking AA but it's kinda funny how the article mentions that it was a senior analyst who launched the investigation LOL
Old Nov 2, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Personally, I think the chances of a lifetime airpass are about zero.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by bchandler02

Probably better to invest that $5 million, in the market, after the next correction
JB OmahAA and bchandler02 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage since 1984; AA PLT - 2MM; WN CP; SPG Gold
We need to find you something different to fantasize about
Old Nov 2, 2020, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JB OmahAA
We need to find you something different to fantasize about
Glassware and sundaes in F again perhaps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.