Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking NOOB advice - AA JFK-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2020, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: american
Smile Seeking NOOB advice - AA JFK-LHR

Hey all - need NOOB advice. Have platinum status on AA (didn't requalify for plat exec) - flying JFK - LHR 11/4 to 11/12. Main economy is coming out to $853, business is over 6K, but business with miles is coming out to 130,000 + $304 in taxes. Want to fly business, but out of SWU's. Is the best value using the miles? AA today values 140,000 miles at $2747. Thanks in advance for any answers.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by fkhan11
Hey all - need NOOB advice. Have platinum status on AA (didn't requalify for plat exec) - flying JFK - LHR 11/4 to 11/12. Main economy is coming out to $853, business is over 6K, but business with miles is coming out to 130,000 + $304 in taxes. Want to fly business, but out of SWU's. Is the best value using the miles? AA today values 140,000 miles at $2747. Thanks in advance for any answers.
is it on AA metal?
seems like a normal price for round trip. Is it on AA metal?
Old Oct 16, 2020, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Yes - they actually have only one flight - rest are codeshared by BA.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Why not miles + copay it? 25000 miles + 350 bucks
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

sorry - could you explain what you mean?
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:57 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Antarius
Why not miles + copay it? 25000 miles + 350 bucks
sorry - could you explain what you mean?
Upgrade with miles: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...with-miles.jsp
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Honestly, save you points and cash. I don't think you will be happy with the current service and amenities, and coach should be fairly open, allowing you to stretch out comfortably. (Just my thought)
arollins and yabadoo like this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by 757FO
Honestly, save you points and cash. I don't think you will be happy with the current service and amenities, and coach should be fairly open, allowing you to stretch out comfortably. (Just my thought)
Seconded. It's what, 6 hours wheels up to wheels down? Another added benefit that no one thinks of that I recently experienced is that simply because LHR traffic is just a margin of what it used to be there are few if any holding orbits over SE England as is so TYPICAL of pre-covid flights . Trivial perhaps but landing at LHR without being put into a holding pattern is NICE.
757FO likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Seconded. It's what, 6 hours wheels up to wheels down? Another added benefit that no one thinks of that I recently experienced is that simply because LHR traffic is just a margin of what it used to be there are few if any holding orbits over SE England as is so TYPICAL of pre-covid flights . Trivial perhaps but landing at LHR without being put into a holding pattern is NICE.
Originally Posted by 757FO
I understand your logic. My thinking was, with COVID and business cabin space, the limited flying I've been doing this year, and the fact that you can actually get an upgrade without hassle right now, this would be the time to take advantage of business class. If I can't get hold of some SWU's, I think I'll just upgrade on the way back, since you guys are right about 6 hours wheels up to down on an evening jaunt in an open economy class.
enviroian and 757FO like this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't really take what AA is attempting to sell miles for on website as their "valuation". If you are getting at least 2 CPM of value from miles, I wouldn't feel bad about using them. AA has discount business fares (I class) on this route for $2345 roundtrip, but they have a 28-day advance purchase requirement and you are now too close-in to travel dates to meet that requirement (hence the significantly higher fares). I would take that number as a better valuation of what the flights are actually worth.
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
What about premium economy? It’s a perfect short hop for that
Are you planning to stay in the UK? Last I read yesterday still under the 14 day quarantine and does not seem to be going away anytime soon
Old Oct 19, 2020, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Are you planning to stay in the UK? Last I read yesterday still under the 14 day quarantine and does not seem to be going away anytime soon
Actually this is a good point. Under normal circumstances I would fly MCE since a bulkhead and free booze is all I need for such a quick hop but now since MCE means only a bulk head or exit row seat and nothing else PE might be satisfy the pre-covid MCE options plus a seat better that most domestic F.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Just staying in the UK. 14 day quarantine is still required (for now), but you can leave before the quarantine is up.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Actually this is a good point. Under normal circumstances I would fly MCE since a bulkhead and free booze is all I need for such a quick hop but now since MCE means only a bulk head or exit row seat and nothing else PE might be satisfy the pre-covid MCE options plus a seat better that most domestic F.

Not a bad point. I have seat 20L held on both flights, so I'm at the bulkhead.​​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.