FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Microsoft TEAMS call in flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2026580-microsoft-teams-call-flight.html)

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Oct 9, 2020 11:02 am

I've heard paxs make FT calls so I assume the fire wall doesn't block voice over data. Personally if someone next to me joins a call but doesn't speak I could care less. I also agree MS Teams is awful.

Antarius Oct 9, 2020 11:11 am

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George (Post 32735332)
I've heard paxs make FT calls so I assume the fire wall doesn't block voice over data. Personally if someone next to me joins a call but doesn't speak I could care less. I also agree MS Teams is awful.

It's not blocked. I've joined before but listened and didn't speak.

bchandler02 Oct 9, 2020 11:14 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 32734886)
No. Phone calls are not allowed inflight. And let's save the pedantic exercise of whether a Teams or Zoom call could technically be considered a phone call or not.

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 32734924)
FA will likely immediately ask you to end said call.

Two-way voice conversations from the air to the ground are not permissible.

They are possible. Whether or not they are allowed (by law, or AA rule) is a different story. It would probably be good to dive into this, and then look at the wording to see if it is specifically a PSTN routed phone call that is banned, or any and all two way voice communication.

Originally Posted by AAway (Post 32734940)
It is not OK. You will be banned permanently from all airlines globally.

Yeah.. whatever, man. 100% not true.

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 32735157)
I have joined zoom and teams calls in flight before. However, I do not speak. I IM anything I have to contribute and listen.

Try not to do this often, but IRROPs has required it for a meeting

​​​as enviroian mentioned, don't be that guy talking in flight.

I've joined Zoom and Skype calls from the air before on int'l long haul flights, staying muted. However, I do the exact same thing - listen, and IM to someone on the ground to say what needs to be said or type it in the chat. I would not do it in Y due to privacy, but in J it is good enough in an emergency. To my seat neighbors, they'd have no idea I was on a call vs. watching a movie since I do not speak. I see no issue with this.

wakesetter93 Oct 9, 2020 11:21 am

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 32734924)
FA will likely immediately ask you to end said call.

Two-way voice conversations from the air to the ground are not permissible.

So we're just going to forget about the Airfone?

geepmaley Oct 9, 2020 12:46 pm

I have a colleague who scheduled a TEAMS call with a mutual customer when I will be flying (in domestic F to St Thomas with my wife as seatmate in row 4 on a 319) and was not planning on talking all the way through unless asked a specific question. Would be laptop based with headphones, not phone

I am actually trying to get the meeting rescheduled but just thinking ahead in case it doesn't

Thanks all for the input

AAway Oct 9, 2020 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by bchandler02 (Post 32735356)

Yeah.. whatever, man. 100% not true.

:rolleyes: ya' don't say ....

In all seriousness, as long as the OP is not talking during the meeting it should be fine.

Gig103 Oct 9, 2020 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by wakesetter93 (Post 32735370)
So we're just going to forget about the Airfone?

Yes. Please. I can't search Youtube from work but there was definitely a comedian that talked about those calls. Seinfeld maybe? "Every single one starts the same way. 'Guess where I'm calling from? Nope, 30,000 feet!'"

carlosdca Oct 9, 2020 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by geepmaley (Post 32735577)
I have a colleague who scheduled a TEAMS call with a mutual customer when I will be flying (in domestic F to St Thomas with my wife as seatmate in row 4 on a 319) and was not planning on talking all the way through unless asked a specific question. Would be laptop based with headphones, not phone

I am actually trying to get the meeting rescheduled but just thinking ahead in case it doesn't

Thanks all for the input

You know sometimes internet is down or ultra slow in flights (for whatever technical reason)
And you know murphy's law.
If it is really important, not rescheduling would not be an option for me.

UAPremierGuy Oct 9, 2020 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by geepmaley (Post 32735577)

Thanks all for the input

What anybody hasn't told you is that depending on the aircraft, your internet is likely to cut out overwater or outside of the 48 states. I'm not sure what aircraft types they are flying to STT these days. Please for the love of God, stay muted.

ESpen36 Oct 9, 2020 1:30 pm

A thousand times NO to two-way voice communication on VoIP, Zoom, FT, Teams, and any other apps!!! Don't go there!

If the connection/bandwidth allows, it's okay to join a webinar in listen-only mode. Or join a meeting and do not speak. Type your questions/feedback in the chat box.

But NO unmuting/speaking. It's not just common courtesy; it's airline policy.

(FAA regulations about phone calls in flight date back to before VoIP and high-speed WiFi connections were available on board. But the "spirit" of the regulation is that nobody should be on a two-way voice call in flight, and airlines have developed policies to prohibit those calls from the moment the aircraft door closes until after landing and off the active runway, when the crew advises that voice calls are allowed.)

wakesetter93 Oct 9, 2020 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 32735637)
Yes. Please. I can't search Youtube from work but there was definitely a comedian that talked about those calls. Seinfeld maybe? "Every single one starts the same way. 'Guess where I'm calling from? Nope, 30,000 feet!'"

I saw that episode a couple of weeks ago, it is Seinfeld!

Often1 Oct 9, 2020 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 32735732)
A thousand times NO to two-way voice communication on VoIP, Zoom, FT, Teams, and any other apps!!! Don't go there!

If the connection/bandwidth allows, it's okay to join a webinar in listen-only mode. Or join a meeting and do not speak. Type your questions/feedback in the chat box.

But NO unmuting/speaking. It's not just common courtesy; it's airline policy.

(FAA regulations about phone calls in flight date back to before VoIP and high-speed WiFi connections were available on board. But the "spirit" of the regulation is that nobody should be on a two-way voice call in flight, and airlines have developed policies to prohibit those calls from the moment the aircraft door closes until after landing and off the active runway, when the crew advises that voice calls are allowed.)

Spirit, not.

The rules are clear. It is the 2-way voice capacity and the technology is irrelevant. Has nothing to do with whether one mutes.

samwise6222 Oct 9, 2020 2:50 pm

Since when did two-way calling get banned (just curious)?

I remember using one of these, and getting a bill for $100 for a short call

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7r_EfKFqwXM/hqdefault.jpg

JDiver Oct 9, 2020 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy (Post 32735707)
What anybody hasn't told you is that depending on the aircraft, your internet is likely to cut out overwater or outside of the 48 states. I'm not sure what aircraft types they are flying to STT these days. Please for the love of God, stay muted.

The OP is flying in an A319. WiFi is 2KU, according to the (unofficial) AA fleet pages - link.

wakesetter93 Oct 9, 2020 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by samwise6222 (Post 32735966)
Since when did two-way calling get banned (just curious)?

I remember using one of these, and getting a bill for $100 for a short call

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7r_EfKFqwXM/hqdefault.jpg

I'm wondering the same thing...