Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA drops oneworld airliner partner elite seat benefits Oct 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2020, 3:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

American Airlines eliminates partner elite seating benefits
By Zach Griff, The Points Guy, 1 Oct 2020 — link

This has little effect on AAdvantage members, but certainly affects elite members of other oneworld airline partners flying on AA.

Effective immediately, AA’s partner elites will no longer receive complimentary access to the airline’s extra-legroom Main Cabin Extra seating. This policy change has been confirmed to TPG by an American Airlines spokesperson.

The AA spokesperson also confirmed that Oneworld elites will still have complimentary access to Preferred seats. These seats offer standard coach legroom but they’re positioned at favorable locations within the cabin.

Previously, partner Oneworld Sapphire and Emerald members received free Main Cabin Extra seating at booking for themselves and up to eight traveling companions on the same reservation. Oneworld Ruby members could previously assign complimentary extra-legroom seats beginning 24 hours before departure.

Going forward, partner elites will need to purchase Main Cabin Extra legroom at standard pricing, which ranges depending on flight length and seat location. For example, a bulkhead extra-legroom window seat from Miami to New York hovers at around $28.

...Of the Big 3 U.S. carriers, American’s partner elite seating policy had long been the most generous. Neither Delta nor United offer confirmed complimentary access to Comfort+ and Economy Plus seating options, respectively, to partner elite members.
Jacob Miller likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
What a customer-unfriendly move toward partner airline elites. And what interesting timing for such a move.

AA was already worse than DL and even UA in various ways, so even copying DL or UA in partner airline elites' seat selection is just making AA an even worse option than it already was in ways.

About the timing of this AA move, is it because of the large pool of AS elites coming into Oneworld?
Old Oct 1, 2020, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Horrible decision. I've had occasions where I only flew AA for their generous legroom in their A321 exit-rows when available and competitors have the same price, plus their Flagship Lounges was a huge effect on my decision when choosing an airline to fly within the USA. At least 28A on A21N's are considered as a Preferred seat rather than MCE.

At least they could have offered them to non-AA elites at online check-in as they offer to AAdvantage Gold.

However, I would like to admit that 2x23kgs ( 2x50lbs ) baggage allowance for non-AA OWS and 3x32kgs ( 3x70 lbs ) baggage allowance for non-AA OWE would still be a factor over other US carriers. United is known for offering 1x23kgs for non-UA*G's and I think the case is similar to Delta.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I had given AA a fair amount of shorthaul F and some transatlantic PE revenue to keep BA Silver. No more. Just redemptions in F/PE on AA from now on. Delta and Southwest for revenue tickets. Delta has a much bigger version of MCE on many of their plane types, especially the 738 (5 rows!).
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The BA thread on this topic---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ld-elites.html
Old Oct 1, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Not a good move from my perspective. Being able to choose MCE seats was a *big* perk of OWE status. I am not sure how / if it will affect future travel plans as most upcoming travel is booked in paid F, but going forward it will definitely make me compare other carriers.
Spiff and alancostello like this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
AA is desperate for cash so it removed this benefit hoping that more people pay for MCE
Old Oct 1, 2020, 6:24 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by fly747first
AA is desperate for cash so it removed this benefit hoping that more people pay for MCE
or just fly UA and Delta
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
People in the USA value legroom more than any other nation and considering that most non-AA OW elites traveling on AA MC are not based in the USA, they would not get the revenue they expected from this decision.

For example, I would not pay AA $75-100 on a transcon for 4 inches of extra legroom.

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
or just fly UA and Delta
United does not offer preferred seating for non-UA *A elites which means that their policy is much worse than AA's new seating policy for non-AA elites.
Same for Delta, Delta did never offer free Comfort+ seating for non-DL SkyTeam elites and I guess their policy is similar to United where passengers need to pay extra to sit in the preferred non-extra legroom seats.
fwfdan likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
What a customer unfriendly move that does not overly surprise me. I'm really looking forward to post pandemic free agency. As a US based BA elite, this was the benefit that I valued the most.
Spiff, Gerbs and Geordie405 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 6:46 pm

When do you think BA will remove the no payment seat assignment requirement for AA EXP?
355F1 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 7:09 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I wonder if, when buy-on-board food comes back, if they will take away the comped one food/drink to non-AA OWEs as well.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chuck1
When do you think BA will remove the no payment seat assignment requirement for AA EXP?
Some time between never and eternity.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
I feel the timing might have something to do with AS joining OW? AA members probably won’t get AS Premium Class upgrades, so probably it will be wise to block AS elites from getting MCE.

However, it probably won’t matter until AA start policing MCE self-upgraders.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shd9
I feel the timing might have something to do with AS joining OW? AA members probably won’t get AS Premium Class upgrades, so probably it will be wise to block AS elites from getting MCE.

However, it probably won’t matter until AA start policing MCE self-upgraders.
Upgrades are not and have never been a OW status benefit.
Any cross airline upgrades are airline to airline, outside of OW.
MSPeconomist and ISTFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.