Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Looks like AA is now charging UK apd on awards (to retitle & merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2020, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb

Been trying to get an award flight today - was seeing the routine BA flights with hundreds in fees and a few AA flights with normal fees. Couldnt get the AA flight to book. Now when I search, the AA awards have $300 -$500 in taxes.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
Been trying to get an award flight today - was seeing the routine BA flights with hundreds in fees and a few AA flights with normal fees. Couldnt get the AA flight to book. Now when I search, the AA awards have $300 -$500 in taxes.
AA awards on BA metal have been charged BA surcharges for or a very long time..(Years) Originally I think BA called it a fuel surcharge
This is a BA surcharge, not APD. APD is a UK tax paid for people originating travel in UK, nothing to do with specific airlines
BearX220 and Brendan like this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 12:50 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
$300 is about right for the taxes on such flights (in all classes except Economy where there is a discount) and it has been that much for a few years at least I think..
Old Sep 2, 2020, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
That has been a big problem when trying to book for over the pond.. you get so excited to see so many award options .. only to find out that there all are on BA metal...along with the huge taxes and fees
iskingolf and Brendan like this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I thought the normal tax on award J flights on AA metal is $5.60
Brendan likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by enviroian
I thought the normal tax on award J flights on AA metal is $5.60
Not ex-LHR, they're not.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is confusing taxes with carrier-imposed surcharges (fuel surcharges are a thing of the past).

APD is a UK tax imposed on departures from the UK. It is not carrier-specific. It is especially high on premium classes.

It would be helpful if OP would post the breakdown of these items and he could get a very quick answer as to whether there is an error (unlikely). Best bet is to fly on AA metal. Won't change the taxes but the fees will.
Mwenenzi and Brendan like this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Also, since as noted the APD and passenger service charge are only added to the flight departing from the UK, if your schedule is flexible, you could spend the equivalent $300 instead on a mini-stopover in another European city and have your return flight to the US from there. Of course, that's once we're past COVID-19 and the world has returned to normal.

I've done that before to get a free day in Amsterdam, taking the Eurostar from London (which I found to be quite a relaxing trip).
Beachfun71 and JDiver like this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by twa777
Also, since as noted the APD and passenger service charge are only added to the flight departing from the UK, if your schedule is flexible, you could spend the equivalent $300 instead on a mini-stopover in another European city and have your return flight to the US from there. Of course, that's once we're past COVID-19 and the world has returned to normal.
I've done that kind of vacation routing in the past to knock about $150 off a ticket in large part due to APD and other airport taxes. The majority of big European airports have those kinds of taxes in some form or other- easy to see them all by looking at the full price breakdown after searching a flight on ITA Matrix down to whatever the French/CDG fee is for 'solidarity and airport expansion in developing countries'- it's just the departure APD for most UK airports is particularly high compared to peers.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum

I've done that before to get a free day in Amsterdam, taking the Eurostar from London (which I found to be quite a relaxing trip).
+1 for this. Every time I go to the UK to visit family I spend a couple of days somewhere in Europe for that exact reason. There are two of us and the savings make the Europe stop over “free”. Very cheap one way fares to almost anywhere in Europe are available from most major UK cities and the fare back to the US from Europe versus London is almost always the same or less even without factoring in the APD savings.
BearX220, ijgordon and Brendan like this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
I LOVE the London to Amsterdam train!
fotographer likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by BearX220
Not ex-LHR, they're not.
Do you mean all AA metal flight USA-LHR are not $5.60? Then I'm confused. I would have sworn I've seen $5.60 being charged at award redemption times for transatlantic J. Sorry for my mis-info.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by enviroian
Do you mean all AA metal flight USA-LHR are not $5.60? Then I'm confused. I would have sworn I've seen $5.60 being charged at award redemption times for transatlantic J. Sorry for my mis-info.
No he does not. Ex USA to LHR is ~$5.60. Ex LHR is 300+ (LHR-XXX)
Brendan, JDiver, Antarius and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
OP is confusing taxes with carrier-imposed surcharges (fuel surcharges are a thing of the past).
Airlines started getting sued for fraud when it turned out the fuel cost per seat actually was less than the 'fuel surcharge' they were charging, so they changed the wording of what they charged to 'carrier fee/surcharge'. If you want to calculate actual fuel cost, most airlines run around 5c/seat/mile for fuel, or $200 on a 4000 mile flight; and you can derive it from an airlines financials by dividing "Total Fuel Costs" by "Available Seat Miles" to get the per-seat per-mile cost.

If you want to avoid the UK departure tax, you can originate in some rural airports in Scotland (Aberdeen/Inverness etc) or Northern Ireland, or outside of the UK altogether. It doesn't apply if you change in the UK, only originate.
Brendan likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by CZBB
If you want to avoid the UK departure tax, you can originate in some rural airports in Scotland (Aberdeen/Inverness etc) or Northern Ireland, or outside of the UK altogether. It doesn't apply if you change in the UK, only originate.
APD is payable from Aberdeen as it's not in the exempt area

For Northern Ireland the exemption is only for direct flights to a Band 2 destination such as the USA
Brendan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.