Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Drops Many Change Fees, Enhances Basic Economy, Other Benefits,

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisny2
Effective immediately, AA has implemented a number of changes mostly beneficial to flyers. — link

* No more change fees. Change fees for all domestic and short-haul international flying on Premium Cabin fares and most Main Cabin fares will be eliminated.

* Fly standby for free. All customers will have the ability to fly standby on earlier flights for the same destination on the same day at no charge starting Oct. 1, 2020.

* More to Basic Economy. Basic Economy fares now come with the ability to tailor your travel experience including upgrades, Preferred and Main Cabin Extra seats, priority boarding and same-day flight changes.

* Same AAdvantage® benefits during your journey, no matter the fare. AAdvantage® elite members will be able to apply their current travel benefits on all tickets, including when purchasing a Basic Economy fare.

NB: Basic economy fares will no longer earn elite qualifying miles, dollars, or segments effective Jan 1, 2021. This is no longer applicable with the introduction of Loyalty Points.

See post # 1 for screen shots of the AA release and features.

See post # 99 for change fee waiver for ALL flights purchased by 31 Dec 2020

Print Wikipost

AA Drops Many Change Fees, Enhances Basic Economy, Other Benefits,

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
However the flights won't count for status.
They only counted for half to begin with - I don't think this will hurt too many elites since I doubt most of them are making status on basic economy. It could even be advantageous for people who know they are only going to top out at Platinum/Platinum Pro and won't be able to reach the next tier with regular fares.
Spanish and bscooter26 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer

Plus, they realized the customer service nightmare of voiding unused ticket value when the new ticket is cheaper. Smart, IMHO.
I never understood this. The difference in fare in such cases is almost never enough to actually cover another fare, so yeah, you get to keep the customer's money but you are alienating them and giving them no incentive to book future travel with you. Someone with an $80 credit lying around is going to for sure utilize it to book another fare, even if they can fly cheaper with a competitor, and they're going to end up providing more revenue than if AA just pocketed the difference for the original flight.
NYC Flyer and Mr. BoH like this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by ajf87
They only counted for half to begin with - I don't think this will hurt too many elites since I doubt most of them are making status on basic economy. It could even be advantageous for people who know they are only going to top out at Platinum/Platinum Pro and won't be able to reach the next tier with regular fares.
It will hurt elites, because AA will have more pricing power on Main Cabin fares as demand recovers. It should help thin out the ranks and reduce competition for upgrades, though. You will have to spend more on Main Cabin vs BE relative to the current arragement if this works as AA expects.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Do you mean BE fares won't earn EQD and/or EQM's?
Correct.

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Further curve ball if corporate travel policies pivot to B fares now you can change/standby them, that'd mean no status earning for road warriors.

Long term I see this reducing the pool of elites - lifetimers the real winners here I think.
I presume there will be some policy exceptions and even (more) status giveaways to big spender accounts. Agree elite upgrade competition goes down.

As for your last point re lifetimers, could you please put that on a stone tablet in front of AA headquarters so management knows they cannot devalue lifetime status?
ajf87 likes this.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Aug 31, 2020 at 4:15 pm Reason: clarification
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Further curve ball if corporate travel policies pivot to B fares now you can change/standby them, that'd mean no status earning for road warriors.
Those are same-day changes only though, right? Not sure that's enough to get corporate policies behind them.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:37 pm

It will hurt elites, because AA will have more pricing power on Main Cabin fares as demand recovers. It should help thin out the ranks and reduce competition for upgrades, though. You will have to spend more on Main Cabin vs BE relative to the current arragement if this works as AA expects.
I think they'll compensate by keeping their reduced status requirements in place, or at least not jacking them back up to pre-COVID levels. They'll have to incentivize leisure travelers if they're not going to give status to every road warrior, unless they offer some kind of buy-up or expand EQD/EQM earning opportunities to include in-flight/lounge purchases.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Hey...Did you forget International change fees? Didn't they already eliminates $200 change fees?!? You forgetting one more things.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:53 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I think it's high time they allow folks to buy seats/priority boarding/SDFC/upgrades on basic economy fares (business-model wise). It always seemed weird to me that if you wanted to give the company more money, they'd tell you "sorry, you didn't pay enough when you bought your ticket for the privilege of paying us more for things you want."

The new economy fare structure rather closely matches what the European airlines have been doing: free seat selection is not included except for elites, but elites get consistent benefits across fares.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 5:01 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by ajf87
I think they'll compensate by keeping their reduced status requirements in place, or at least not jacking them back up to pre-COVID levels. They'll have to incentivize leisure travelers if they're not going to give status to every road warrior, unless they offer some kind of buy-up or expand EQD/EQM earning opportunities to include in-flight/lounge purchases.
Lots of levers to pull...could see heavily discounted thresholds, promotions, etc. I also expect that first class monetization will expand, which will offset the advantage of status for many, make perks more accessible for folks willing to spend a bit extra, and raise revenue. They could also "improve" the AAdvantage program by adding instant-upgrade fare booking classes that let you jump the line for less money than publicly available discounted first class. Oy..."My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought..."
Old Aug 31, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Lots of levers to pull...could see heavily discounted thresholds, promotions, etc. I also expect that first class monetization will expand, which will offset the advantage of status for many, make perks more accessible for folks willing to spend a bit extra, and raise revenue. They could also "improve" the AAdvantage program by adding instant-upgrade fare booking classes that let you jump the line for less money than publicly available discounted first class. Oy..."My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought..."
Goldarnit, Mr. Lamarr...
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 5:31 pm

AA already does this though by making you pay for 500-mile upgrades (at least for lowly Gold and Platinums). Maybe they'll add an EQD and EQS multiplier to paid first/business fares like they do with EQM.

Overall I'm cautiously optimistic about these changes, it really seems like it's one of those rare instances where both passengers and the airline benefits.
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Vouchers for fare difference is a big deal! All upside for my travel patterns.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA
I could see some elites taking advantage of BE if they have already qualified for the following year or don't have a chance of re qualifying
MSPeconomist and ajf87 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by theshaun
I could see some elites taking advantage of BE if they have already qualified for the following year or don't have a chance of re qualifying
They could get creative with promotions for extra EQM/EQD and do targeted offers for elites with BE reservations. Offer to upgrade to regular main cabin or a premium cabin to put the next tier within reach. Potentially allow some kind of rollover (like what Hilton does)? I wouldn't want them to go the Bonvoy route where it really makes no sense to do anything other than exactly 50/75/100 nights.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
Well it will be nice having AA status while it lasts through next year. As a mostly leisure traveler I struggled with the revenue requirement for Gold status as it was despite flying 50-75k miles some years.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 6:36 pm

So if you buy Basic Economy you will be allowed to buy confirmed MCE at time of purchase, or not until check-in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.