Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA to reduce staff by 40K, invol furlough 19,000, 1 Oct 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to reduce staff by 40K, invol furlough 19,000, 1 Oct 2020

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
sad to hear.. in any business these days... hopefully those young enough still can find something else.. its tough out there....
talking to my wife's friend (AA FA for over 35 years) she is so uncertain of her future.. especially when she is only about 5 yrs out of retiring...
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George

I don't understand this idea that all senior FAs are burnt out and don't care about their job anymore. That's certainly not been my experience with ALL senior FAs (and GAs, AC staff). I've been traveling every week in the F cabin (yea upgrades) since March and numerous times I've had a young F FA that would have nothing to do with the paxs playing with their phone instead. Most of them weren't around in the early 2000s when FAs were being fired in mass. Based on some of the loud conversations I've heard them have (instead of doing a service) many of them thought the government would continue to guarantee them a paycheck.
As with any large company, there are bad employees at every age group. I recently had an outstanding senior cabin crew BOS-DFW that was infinitely better than the much younger FAs on my DFW MIA leg.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by BearX220
This furlough, like all such actions in the airline business, is entirely seniority-based. So more junior, more enthusiastic, less burned out employees will be cut, while more senior, probably more cynical and jaded, employees will remain.
Obviously (at least with regards to unionized workgroups; what you say is not true of management). I never meant to imply anything otherwise. Apparently people on this forum have lost the ability to recognize tongue-in-cheek posting... either that or they really do think that the word meaning the opposite of win is "loose."
Old Aug 26, 2020, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Interesting, of the 19000 furloughed, none will be reservation agents? I would assume with the reductions in bookings, they would need fewer agents
Old Aug 26, 2020, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by mvoight
Interesting, of the 19000 furloughed, none will be reservation agents? I would assume with the reductions in bookings, they would need fewer agents
I will just point out that over the past few years, Res agents are generally the most competent, friendly, and helpful employees at AA.

On one occasion a rather surly AAngel at the DFW A Admirals Club was completely unwilling or unable to help me buy a "last minute" ticket (I think it was at maybe 75-90 minutes before departure of a domestic flight). Rather than getting ticketed by the supposedly "Premium Services" employee right in front of me, I had to make a phone call to Res. A general agent at Res proved far more able and willing to help than the useless Admirals Club agent.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Herb687
I will just point out that over the past few years, Res agents are generally the most competent, friendly, and helpful employees at AA.

On one occasion a rather surly AAngel at the DFW A Admirals Club was completely unwilling or unable to help me buy a "last minute" ticket (I think it was at maybe 75-90 minutes before departure of a domestic flight). Rather than getting ticketed by the supposedly "Premium Services" employee right in front of me, I had to make a phone call to Res. A general agent at Res proved far more able and willing to help than the useless Admirals Club agent.
This goes both ways... I have had reservations agents who were beyond incompetent with simple tasks while their AC counterparts quickly and efficiently made the changes I needed. Just last month, a reservations supervisor incorrectly rebooked me in J when I had paid for F on a 3-class A321T and another supervisor had to apologize for the embarrassing mistake made by her male counterpart and she fixed it.
cmd320 and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Statman
Not just that, but why do airline employees think they should not be affected by the economic effects of COVID 19?
I'm curious which employees think their industry should be exempt. Link?
Old Aug 26, 2020, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm curious which employees think their industry should be exempt. Link?
The point is airline employees and managers keep lobbying the government for continued bail-out money. I absolutely don't fault them, if I were in that position I would do the exact same thing.

But for the rest of us, the question must be asked, why are we pumping money into this single industry when there are millions of other out there being affected by these shutdowns who are not receiving any assistance.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fotographer
talking to my wife's friend (AA FA for over 35 years) she is so uncertain of her future.. especially when she is only about 5 yrs out of retiring...
Surely at that age she could take a nice early out package and not have to worry about it.

Echoing many of the others, I don’t enjoy seeing this, but at the end of the day the US taxpayer shouldn’t be carrying the payroll weight for a select few companies when most people aren’t getting any special assistance. Also any PPP extension for airlines is just kicking the can another 3 to 6 months down the road and then deja vu.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Surely at that age she could take a nice early out package and not have to worry about it.

Echoing many of the others, I don’t enjoy seeing this, but at the end of the day the US taxpayer shouldn’t be carrying the payroll weight for a select few companies when most people aren’t getting any special assistance. Also any PPP extension for airlines is just kicking the can another 3 to 6 months down the road and then deja vu.
Wow. I'll be a lot more charitable than you and hope you're never faced with this situation. Your lack of empathy is astounding.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 8:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
There are approximately 26,000 flight attendants on the seniority list. Only 1,610 opted for the early retirement option. 2,890 took long leaves of absence (over a year long?) and 1,310 took shorter leaves of absence. That left an overage of 8,099. To the best of my knowledge, the furloughed flight attendants will have unlimited recall rights.
standbyalldtime likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
There are approximately 26,000 flight attendants on the seniority list. Only 1,610 opted for the early retirement option. 2,890 took long leaves of absence (over a year long?) and 1,310 took shorter leaves of absence. That left an overage of 8,099. To the best of my knowledge, the furloughed flight attendants will have unlimited recall rights.
Sounds like the early retirement option was utter trash. Well done Doug.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Preach.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Herb687
I'm ok with those FAs who played fast and loose with service standards losing their jobs. Those losers really needed to tighten their job performance rather than loose it.
Originally Posted by AndyAA
It would be great if job performance was the deciding factor in who stays and who goes.
Originally Posted by BearX220
This furlough, like all such actions in the airline business, is entirely seniority-based. So more junior, more enthusiastic, less burned out employees will be cut, while more senior, probably more cynical and jaded, employees will remain.
4thQ 2007 I was National Sales Manager for a Major Financial Services marketing team. 120 in field sales, 75 inside support, 35 inside support staff, 1 operator/receptionist.

3 days before Thanksgiving, the Board directed me-"Be at 125 "head count" 1/1/2008. Here is your "Human" resources contact to "clear thru".

As the boss, I had hired, sat with, traveled with, and built some of "my" team over the past 5 years. The easy thing was picking the 120 who stayed and those who really needed to GOAWAY.

Performance was the 1st criteria. Firing/furloughing/getting rid of dead wood is not easy. I had 131 lives in my hands.

If we had had a UNION, I would have been forced to keep most of the under performers due to seniority. "human resources" was less than zero help.

NET/NET we survived and exceeded goal for 2009 by 275%, exceeded goal for 2010 by 205%, with 71 in field sales (not including me), 25 inside support, 23 inside support staff, and 1 operator/receptionist.

(OBTW-The worst 2 weeks of my life. I personally "released" ALL 111 human beings FTF into the "Holiday season". My Father always said-"If you have bad news, be a man, and deliver it in person".).

Enjoy flying with your UNION survivors.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Aug 28, 2020 at 8:35 am
Old Aug 26, 2020, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wrldwide1
Wow. I'll be a lot more charitable than you and hope you're never faced with this situation. Your lack of empathy is astounding.
Your selective empathy is astounding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.