Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Hidden City Audit - AA Demanding Payment or Account Termination

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines prohibits the practice known as “hidden city ticketing” (sometimes referred to as “skiplagging”, “throwaway ticketing” or “point beyond ticketing” as well).

When you purchase an American Airlines ticket you are agreeing to abide by their rules, terms and conditions. Some refer to this as a “contract of adhesion”. Your purchase is considered agreement to comply.Applicable American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (in part) — link

Prohibited booking practices

Reservations made to exploit or circumvent fare and ticket rules are prohibited.

Examples include (but are not limited to):
  • Purchasing a ticket without intending to fly all flights to gain lower fares (hidden city ticketing)
  • Buying a ticket without intending to travel, including to gain access to our airport lounges or other facilities
  • Combining 2 or more roundtrip excursion fares end-to-end to circumvent minimum stay requirements (back-to-back ticketing)
  • Booking a ticket in someone's name without the person's consent (which is illegal)
  • Holding reservations for reasons like securing upgrades, blocking seats or obtaining lower fares
  • Booking duplicate or impossible trips, for example multiple trips for the same passenger around the same time (trips a passenger physically could not complete)
If we find evidence that you or your agent are using a prohibited practice, we reserve the right to:
  • Cancel any unused part of the ticket
  • Refuse to let the passenger fly and check bags
  • Not refund an otherwise refundable ticket
  • Charge you for what the ticket would have cost if you hadn't booked it fraudulently
  • Require you refund to us any compensation we provided like bag delivery costs, and reimbursement for clothes or toiletries because of late or lost bags

Applicable AAdvantage Terms and Conditions, in part — link

Fraud, misrepresentation, abuse or violation of applicable rules (including, but not limited to, American or American Eagle® conditions of carriage, tariffs and AAdvantage® program rules) is subject to administrative and/or legal action by appropriate governmental authorities and American Airlines. Such action may include, without limitation, the forfeiture of all award tickets and any accrued mileage in a member's account, as well as termination of the account and the member's future participation in the AAdvantage® program. If your account is terminated due to inappropriate conduct or while under investigation, you may not open a new AAdvantage® account or participate in the AAdvantage® Program in any capacity without obtaining the express written permission of American Airlines. In addition, American Airlines reserves the right to take appropriate legal action to recover damages, including its attorneys’ fees incurred in prosecuting any lawsuit.

Hidden city ticketing is a way to find cheaper nonstop tickets by booking a connecting flight to a final destination beyond yours, but ending your journey at a layover point. You might find that a flight from New York to Nashville with a layover in Atlanta is cheaper than a nonstop ticket from New York to Atlanta, so you book the itinerary with the connection. But, when the plane stops in Atlanta, you end your journey there and are a no-show for the onward flight to Nashville. — scottscheapflights.com

Print Wikipost

Hidden City Audit - AA Demanding Payment or Account Termination

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Perhaps the pricing works for AA on balance. Maybe it's just easier to weed out the fraudsters and do what AA did here.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by sbrower
And how many days did you work in revenue management? Or are you just an armchair expert when you say that they can "tweak" pricing to solve this problem? [I don't have a problem with armchair experts because: a) that applies to almost everyone in this thread; b) I know some armchair experts who are correct more often than the people actually doing the job.]
LOL

Please, AA's Revenue Mismanagement is lost in space half of the time. Prior to Covid, they priced J three times more expensive than F on the daily MIA LAX 77W flight back then and took them almost a month to catch the mistake. Anyone who prices a 52-seat J cabin three times higher than an eight-seat F cabin should be required to take an IQ test.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:00 am

Kiwi.com meanwhile is offering hidden city bookings as a way to save money.....unreal.

Travel agency booked me hidden city without my knowledge
Old Sep 24, 2020, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by largeeyes
Kiwi.com meanwhile is offering hidden city bookings as a way to save money.....unreal.

Travel agency booked me hidden city without my knowledge
Yikes. It's shocking that a TA site would do this for people not specifically looking for hidden city and also very likely unaware of the associated limitations and risks. IMHO it's not enough to say "oh look, your itinerary has a bonus segment, feel free to use it or not." Especially when that segment is to a third country that might have different visa requirements from the intended destination and therefore leave a traveler prohibited from boarding the first flight.
largeeyes likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 10:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by pinniped
Yikes. It's shocking that a TA site would do this for people not specifically looking for hidden city and also very likely unaware of the associated limitations and risks. IMHO it's not enough to say "oh look, your itinerary has a bonus segment, feel free to use it or not." Especially when that segment is to a third country that might have different visa requirements from the intended destination and therefore leave a traveler prohibited from boarding the first flight.
And with the limitation that, depending on the connection/destination, you can't have checked luggage.
largeeyes likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by fly747first
LOL

Please, AA's Revenue Mismanagement is lost in space half of the time. Prior to Covid, they priced J three times more expensive than F on the daily MIA LAX 77W flight back then and took them almost a month to catch the mistake. Anyone who prices a 52-seat J cabin three times higher than an eight-seat F cabin should be required to take an IQ test.
You are assuming the same people who price the seats are the same ones who are responsible for putting in the computer correctly
Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: United Continental
Hidden City transatlantic

I bought a first class ticket from London to U.S. and an economy return which I did not know if I would use or not, and which was much cheaper than a one way ticket. Does this come under "hidden city" prohibitions if I had not decided whether or not I would use the return? As luck would have it, the airline went on strike the day of my return ticket and I was refunded $300.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by stevensonsfo
I bought a first class ticket from London to U.S. and an economy return which I did not know if I would use or not, and which was much cheaper than a one way ticket. Does this come under "hidden city" prohibitions if I had not decided whether or not I would use the return? As luck would have it, the airline went on strike the day of my return ticket and I was refunded $300.
Closer to throw away ticketing which is technically forbidden much more difficult to catch.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:22 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stevensonsfo
I wouldn’t worry about it unless you were doing this repeatedly.
JJeffrey and Often1 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Closer to throw away ticketing which is technically forbidden much more difficult to catch.
It is throw-away ticketing (see below for definitions -- Point-beyond and hidden-city are the same thing). Very similar to hidden city (you are abandoning final flight in both cases) and not all that difficult to catch if you do it repeatedly. As others have noted, AA is pretty clearly going after the heavy abusers and is not going to chase after someone who only does it a few times.

Back-to-back ticketing - combining multiple overlapping round-trip tickets to circumvent Saturday or other overnight stay requirements
Throw-away ticketing - use of discounted round-trip excursion fares for one-way travel
Point-beyond ticketing - use of a fare published for travel to a point beyond your actual intended destination or from a point before your actual intended origin
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:18 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by xliioper
It is throw-away ticketing (see below for definitions -- Point-beyond and hidden-city are the same thing). Very similar to hidden city (you are abandoning final flight in both cases) and not all that difficult to catch if you do it repeatedly. As others have noted, AA is pretty clearly going after the heavy abusers and is not going to chase after someone who only does it a few times.

Back-to-back ticketing - combining multiple overlapping round-trip tickets to circumvent Saturday or other overnight stay requirements
Throw-away ticketing - use of discounted round-trip excursion fares for one-way travel
Point-beyond ticketing - use of a fare published for travel to a point beyond your actual intended destination or from a point before your actual intended origin
In my time (which some folk believe that I was the First Flight Attendant to the Wright Brothers) - I have been guilty of all the above. Once several years ago, I had to get from Dallas to EWR. I had a credit with Continental. They wanted something like $720 one way. Having learned much here I played with this fare. I found that a round trip cost $150 (this was in the winter), and that if the trip went via EWR to ALB is was nearer $140. For me it was a no-brainer. Almost adding insult to injury I used miles that I had in the account to upgrade the flight to EWR. The difference was considerable. I did this once. I have done throw away ticketing and back to back. The throw away was before miles and points - and again saved a fortune. With the back-to-back; I realised that it was stupid to do this with the same airline. When I had to I would use the FF No from another carrier in the Alliance.

Sometimes it is too easy to be greedy and want the cream and money paid for the cream. If you do this often, you can get caught. The airlines are very much to blame for trying to milk people in the first place. I was far more concerned about saving money than earning miles.
NYC Flyer and ExpatExp like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many people get confused on the back-to-back/nested ticketing rule. Simply nesting roundtrip tickets as A-B and B-C to get a cheaper total fare than an A-C roundtrip booking is not a rule violation. It's only the specific case of doing it to meet the min-stay/Saturday night stay requirements of certain discount roundtrip fares. This almost always involves booking nested roundtrips as A-B and B-A. Typically this would involve someone making regular trips to a destination that did not involve a Saturday night stay (say from Sun-Thu). By nesting a Thu-Sun roundtrip from the destination inside a Sun-Thu roundtrip (covering weekend) from the origin, both trips qualify for potentially cheaper Saturday night stay roundtrip fares. Such fares are considerably rarer domestically these days thanks to Southwest (which does not have roundtrip fares) competition.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 14, 2021 at 5:28 am
Old Jan 14, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
you want to wonder if sometimes the airlines themselves are guilty of pushing passengers in this direction of ticketing ..
if the airlines just made the rules involving tickets easy and simple to understand.. a lot of the issues might not be an issue...
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by fotographer
you want to wonder if sometimes the airlines themselves are guilty of pushing passengers in this direction of ticketing ..
if the airlines just made the rules involving tickets easy and simple to understand.. a lot of the issues might not be an issue...
While air carriers write the fare rules as a matter of practicality, it is the market which sets what those rules are.

Taking just one example, Saturday night stays. Those came into fashion when the leisure market for weekend trips came around. Business travelers want to fly out and back during the Monday-Friday work week (not that some don't have other schedules) while the leisure market wants the weekends. That lower PRASM market is still profitable. However, if business travelers use cheaper fares intended for a leisure market by circumventing the Saturday stay, the viability of the cheaper fares drops off.

It would be easy to have one single published fare for each one-way segment. No discounts for anything. But, that would be a lot higher than most people are used or willing to pay.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
so airlines are basically saying.. if you traveling for business.. even though you may be a very small company.. but want to get home before Saturday.... Pay up
but hey its their business .. and they set the rules...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.