Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Flight Change Results In Different Origin City Departure?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Flight Change Results In Different Origin City Departure?!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2020, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Exclamation AA Flight Change Results In Different Origin City Departure?!

So an upcoming flight to end of next month got changed from TPA-MIA-LAX. I did this routing for widebody/meal service on the long flight. Well that got changed and now my new itinerary is MIA-DFW-LAX?! Has anyone had this happen before?

When original flights are cancelled/schedule change I can pick any pairing of flights that day with same origin and destination correct? The ticket was for paid F if that matters, pre CV19 I have rarely had to deal with a schedule change.

Since all of them appear to be no true meal service flights I am thinking of cancelling the ticket totally and flying SW for 1/3 of the price since middle seats are blocked.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old Aug 13, 2020, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EP
Think what u are seeing is the cancelled segments not showing in ur PNR making ur itinerary look funny as rebooking hasn’t run it had an issue. No biggie. Just call AA.

edit: I remember a post saying there was either no more or very limited TPA MIA service.

Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s
So an upcoming flight to end of next month got changed from TPA-MIA-LAX. I did this routing for widebody/meal service on the long flight. Well that got changed and now my new itinerary is MIA-DFW-LAX?! Has anyone had this happen before?

When original flights are cancelled/schedule change I can pick any pairing of flights that day with same origin and destination correct? The ticket was for paid F if that matters, pre CV19 I have rarely had to deal with a schedule change.

Since all of them appear to be no true meal service flights I am thinking of cancelling the ticket totally and flying SW for 1/3 of the price since middle seats are blocked.

Old Aug 13, 2020, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Think what u are seeing is the cancelled segments not showing in ur PNR making ur itinerary look funny as rebooking hasn’t run it had an issue. No biggie. Just call AA.

edit: I remember a post saying there was either no more or very limited TPA MIA service.
Thank you, under what circumstances during schedule changes am I allowed to pick open seats on any flight combinations without having to pay fare difference? It has been several years (Thank God) since I had to last deal with a schedule change and I was able to just pick my replacement flights without regards to fare difference.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Figure out what TPA-LAX routing works the best then call AA and ask for that. If nothing looks good, then tell them to cancel it for a full refund.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

Can you clarify this, is the new routing TPA-MIA-DFW-LAX or did they actually move your first flight to MIA?
Old Aug 13, 2020, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier

I think OP dropped the segment off their post, I don't think it was dropped from the itinerary. I think the issue was about the MIA-DFW-LAX part that used to be MIA-LAX
Old Aug 13, 2020, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Figure out what TPA-LAX routing works the best then call AA and ask for that. If nothing looks good, then tell them to cancel it for a full refund.
This is what I did last time this happened and wasn't given any issues. Was hoping I was entitled to this again. Good chance I will just refund it totally and take SW for 1/3 of the price since SW has middle seats blocked and on AA I won't get any meals now and have similar connections etc

Originally Posted by mvoight
Can you clarify this, is the new routing TPA-MIA-DFW-LAX or did they actually move your first flight to MIA?
Yes, as the the title says they actually moved my origin city to MIA

I think OP dropped the segment off their post, I don't think it was dropped from the itinerary. I think the issue was about the MIA-DFW-LAX part that used to be MIA-LAX
No, I did not leave off anything, they dropped TPA off totally and moved it 300 miles to MIA lol
Old Aug 13, 2020, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I think OP dropped the segment off their post, I don't think it was dropped from the itinerary.
Given the thread title of "Different Origin City Departure", why do you think this?
MSPeconomist and hhdl like this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 12:19 am

What date is your flight, OP? MIA-LAX is still flying once per day on a 77W for now. It looks like there are two TPA-MIA flights daily, but unfortunately if you want to connect on to the 77W flight it would require a very long layover (~10 hours).

If you let us know what flights you were originally booked on, we can better help determine what options might be best depending on your wishes.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Do some research yourself and determine what works best for you. Price that itinerary as a new ticket. If the new ticket is cheaper, purchase the new ticket and then cancel the old one for a refund. If the same or more expensive, call AA and have them reroute you. Have the specific flights ready to read off.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
It's bizarre that AA would change the departure city like that. OP look at the price of WN and the price of AA for TPA/DFW/LAX and take the cheapest. Not worth hanging out in MIA 10 hours for the 77W (unless you want to).
Old Aug 14, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Yes, as the the title says they actually moved my origin city to MIA
As others have said, I think it's an error in the display on the web site. This happens routinely when a flight is cancelled yet the reservation has not been cleaned up yet. Figure out what works for you and call AA. It should not be a problem.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AC 75k; UA Gold; Bonvoy Ambassador; Hertz Presidents Circle; Hilton Diamond
Happened to me to - AA move my origin city by 800+mi

It was a first for me to.
I booked YQB-ORD-LAX. Went to check my flight and it had been updated to ORD-LAX only......obviously that doesn't work, folks ! I understand that they cancelled the YQB flight - but why keep only 50% of the trip ?

Expected it to be relatively easy to get a refund - but it was not. I called in - as I had for prior cancellations - and the first agent told me that since the Chicago-LAX flight was still operating I was not eligible for a refund. Hmmm.....I HUCA'd and the 2nd agent gave me a slightly different story, telling me that it "may" be eligible for a refund but the agent could not process it and I had to go to the "prefund" website and request a refund.

That was a first - and I had to have 5 other trips refunded over the last few months. Regardless I did that (https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/) - and the refund didn't show up for 2 weeks, which was a bit annoying and slower than all the agent processed refunds.

Grunion

Last edited by Grunion; Aug 14, 2020 at 12:48 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 14, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Grunion
It was a first for me to.
I booked YQB-ORD-LAX. Went to check my flight and it had been updated to ORD-LAX only......obviously that doesn't work, folks ! I understand that they cancelled the YQB flight - but why keep only 50% of the trip ?

Expected it to be relatively easy to get a refund - but it was not. I called in - as I had for prior cancellations - and the first agent told me that since the Chicago-LAX flight was still operating I was not eligible for a refund. Hmmm.....I HUCA'd and the 2nd agent gave me a slightly different story, telling me that it "may" be eligible for a refund but the agent could not process it and I had to go to the "prefund" website and request a refund.

That was a first - and I had to have 5 other trips refunded over the last few months. Regardless I did that (https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/) - and the refund didn't show up for 2 weeks, which was a bit annoying and slower than all the agent processed refunds.

Grunion
This is more an issue of dropping service. The YQB service was canceled and nothing available for system to replace it with. Thus the remaining not cancelled leg remained.

As for refund request, nothing beats AA agents.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
While its bizzare, it happens. My SNA-PHX-BOS-DCA flight became PHX-BOS-DCA.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.