Search

Can I get a refund?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:13 am
mhy
Original Poster

Programs: JGC
Can I get a refund?

Purchased flights on AA.com last November for travel from JFK to London at the end of March on BA metal. (in F)

Due to coronavirus March trip had to be postponed and is now scheduled for September. By the looks of things it's unlikely UK will be lifting its travel restrictions for US travelers by that time.

When I went to AA.com I can't reschedule the trip further than October so I canceled it.
I now got an email saying "the value of your ticket is safe" and I can use the value towards a future booking but I would rather have it refunded.

Is this possible at all?

Thank you
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Has there been a schedule change since you rebooked? If not then unless it's a refundable fare, only option is voucher. In this case I would wait (don't cancel now) and hope for a schedule change that allows for a refund. However as you have cancelled it this is no longer an option.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For the benefit of others, in almost all circumstances (fully refundable tickets), do not cancel until the day of travel. If AA cancels (or significantly changes the timing), you are entitled to a refund. Otherwise, all you get is a credit for future travel. Also worth remembering that flights are cancelled or delayed for good old-fashioned reasons such as weather and mechanical. Thus, waiting is on your side. If you eventually do have to voluntarily cancel, you are no worse off for having waited.
AAExecPlatFlier and JDiver like this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by mhy
Purchased flights on AA.com last November for travel from JFK to London at the end of March on BA metal. (in F)

Due to coronavirus March trip had to be postponed and is now scheduled for September. By the looks of things it's unlikely UK will be lifting its travel restrictions for US travelers by that time.

When I went to AA.com I can't reschedule the trip further than October so I canceled it.
I now got an email saying "the value of your ticket is safe" and I can use the value towards a future booking but I would rather have it refunded.

Is this possible at all?

Thank you
If any of the flights you had booked had been canceled by AA, you could have received a refund. However, if you canceled them, you should only expect credit for travel.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mhy
By the looks of things it's unlikely UK will be lifting its travel restrictions for US travelers by that time.
I know this sounds ridiculous. But in the reality, just because the U.K. imposes travel restrictions, it does not mean AA can't operate the flight. It also does not mean you can't enter the U.K. with the restriction.

So what you have asked is a voluntary change of your ticket.
fotographer likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 2:46 pm
mhy
Original Poster

Programs: JGC
Originally Posted by garykung
I know this sounds ridiculous. But in the reality, just because the U.K. imposes travel restrictions, it does not mean AA can't operate the flight. It also does not mean you can't enter the U.K. with the restriction.

So what you have asked is a voluntary change of your ticket.
That appears to be the case. My trip was 6 days long, so obviously I can't travel if I have to quarantine for 14 days...ugh
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:42 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by mhy
That appears to be the case. My trip was 6 days long, so obviously I can't travel if I have to quarantine for 14 days...ugh
You can, but you'd have to quarantine for the duration. Which might be fine if you were visiting your lover, but not so fine if you are traveling for business or touring.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are a significant number of people who are traveling to see a relative or friend and, while in better times, would have gone out to restaurants and museums, are just fine with quarantine at the relative / friends and do that now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.