Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Are Those AAdvantage Miles Buys EVER a True "Bargain?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Those AAdvantage Miles Buys EVER a True "Bargain?"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:21 pm

I've purchased miles when I only needed a few miles (typically 2-5k) to qualify for a certain category of award seats/upgrades. It was worth the price paid. But, I would not buy them if I wasn't going to be using them in the next month or two!
Old Jul 22, 2020, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Like making up numbers and pretending they are facts?

99% certainty,

i.e. 1%

it is certain that your miles lose value between the purchase and usage.would

Sounds like a president I know ...
I would only buy miles if it made economic sense for a trip I already have on hold.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:22 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Milesaaver biz availability is insanely good right now, Who knows if we US based folks will be able to fly them. But US to ME can be had for $1300 one way at the current rate. It's not a great deal, there are some cash fares in the same range (RT though). If you had enough for one direction, you could buy the other direction. I am sure there are even better values than the 70k US-ME. The availability is certainly there now...
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
About 8-10 years ago, USAir would periodically have a promotion where if you transferred miles, you would get 2x the miles, so if you gave someone 100K miles and paid the transfer fee of about $.01/mi + tax, you'd basically pay around $1100 and net a gain of 100K miles. This was when they were part of *A and I got my (now ex-) wife a first class ticket on United to Bucharest, where her parents lived, for 125K miles. So at that time, I paid about $1400 for a first class ticket on a route where coach would have cost around $1000 and biz - I have no idea, probably minimum $4K. So this was an example of a really good deal.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by redtop43
About 8-10 years ago, USAir would periodically have a promotion where if you transferred miles, you would get 2x the miles, so if you gave someone 100K miles and paid the transfer fee of about $.01/mi + tax, you'd basically pay around $1100 and net a gain of 100K miles. This was when they were part of *A and I got my (now ex-) wife a first class ticket on United to Bucharest, where her parents lived, for 125K miles. So at that time, I paid about $1400 for a first class ticket on a route where coach would have cost around $1000 and biz - I have no idea, probably minimum $4K. So this was an example of a really good deal.
Yes, this was one of the examples I gave...
Old Jul 24, 2020, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
What about buying AA miles for upgrading cheap economy fares to business? I know there's co-pay, but is this worth it? The nice thing is that the flight will count toward status.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 3:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lsquare
What about buying AA miles for upgrading cheap economy fares to business? I know there's co-pay, but is this worth it? The nice thing is that the flight will count toward status.
I wouldn't class it as a bargain item unless you would have purchased a business class ticket otherwise and that to purchase directly would be more expensive

It only counts the economy portion towards status - the mileage portion has no value for that

If the additional cost makes it affordable to travel business class, then that is just allowing a more expensive flight but in more comfort
Old Jul 24, 2020, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I wouldn't class it as a bargain item unless you would have purchased a business class ticket otherwise and that to purchase directly would be more expensive

It only counts the economy portion towards status - the mileage portion has no value for that

If the additional cost makes it affordable to travel business class, then that is just allowing a more expensive flight but in more comfort
All AA economy fares except for basic earn 100% EQM right?

I think for RT North America to Asia would be 50,000 miles plus $700 in co-pay. It's still going to be cheaper than buying discounted J right? I'm not saying this is cheap. Under which scenario can one extract the most value from this? Seems like AA have lots of sales for points.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 4:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lsquare
All AA economy fares except for basic earn 100% EQM right?

I think for RT North America to Asia would be 50,000 miles plus $700 in co-pay. It's still going to be cheaper than buying discounted J right? I'm not saying this is cheap. Under which scenario can one extract the most value from this? Seems like AA have lots of sales for points.
50,000 miles plus $700 PLUS the economy fare

I wouldn't say that it will always be cheaper than a discount business class fare and wouldn't seem to be good value at the moment vs buying and redeeming miles

50,000 miles currently costs $1217 . Add the $700 and it is already $1917 - then need to pay for an economy ticket
115,000 miles currently costs $2210

Compared against ,say, lowest paid business class from Rome to Chicago r/t which is $2323 plus taxes - of course would earn 23,230 miles from this ticket
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
50,000 miles plus $700 PLUS the economy fare

I wouldn't say that it will always be cheaper than a discount business class fare and wouldn't seem to be good value at the moment vs buying and redeeming miles

50,000 miles currently costs $1217 . Add the $700 and it is already $1917 - then need to pay for an economy ticket
115,000 miles currently costs $2210

Compared against ,say, lowest paid business class from Rome to Chicago r/t which is $2323 plus taxes - of course would earn 23,230 miles from this ticket
Sure sounds like upgrade isn't worth it. I guess miles are only good value for redeeming flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.