Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Return flight cancelled.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2020, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfs5
So I flew out pre-Covid to BOS from LHR and then my return flight to BOS was cancelled. I am now ready to book my return back to US but AA is insisting on repricing my whole flight and wants $2,000 to get me back to the US or they will refund me approx $260 which is the remaining value of the unused return leg!

I would have thought they had an obligation to get me back to the US at no extra cost to me.

Any thoughts much appreciated.
I decided to stay in UK to “ride out the storm” but now I need to get back to the US.

They cancelled the return flight 8 days before the scheduled departure date of March 30.
When the return flight was cancelled what did you do? Contact AA or just ignore it? Did AA contact you?
I suspect we have not got the full story, including all the dates & fare t&c's.
USFlyerUS likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
So I flew out pre-Covid to BOS from LHR and then my return flight to BOS was cancelled. I am now ready to book my return back to US but AA is insisting on repricing my whole flight and wants $2,000 to get me back to the US or they will refund me approx $260 which is the remaining value of the unused return leg!

I would have thought they had an obligation to get me back to the US at no extra cost to me.

Any thoughts much appreciated.
We are missing a bit of info. There are cancelled flight obligations under EC261 depending on what actually happened.
Was the flight canceled because of a government agency stopped it?
What did you do after finding out it was canceled? What did you say to AA? What was there response?
Did you simply say, "I will let you know months from now what I want to do?" I don't think this means you can wait 4 months and then tell them you now need a ride back, unless something else has happened.
So, please tell us the Paul Harvey part..........".........the rest of the story"
Old Jul 16, 2020, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Not to pile on or anything.. but why wait all that time until you are trying to get back.
if you flight is cancelled , granted even though I am sure the phone lines were busy at that time... the Op should have sorted it out the.
As others suggest... just buy a one way and deal with a refund after you get back to the states
Old Jul 16, 2020, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
When the flight was cancelled, AA had obligation to either get you back to USA at earliest possible time or at your conveniance subject to availability at no charge

I am not sure that waiting for 4 months and then calling will be within what would be required under EC261

If it comes to it, there are one way fares next week at Ł570 non stop on AA - of which Ł225 is taxes. With a cancellation, you should be able to get the Ł225 back at minimum, so worst case Ł345 ($434) to pay which maybe covered by insurance if you have it

This week can get tickets for Ł606 via New York , so an extra Ł381 to pay

Definitely no need to pay $2000 - just go to the UK AA site and the fares are there
Agreed. But, I also believe that the agent may have simply gone down the "repricing" work flow rather than the "reissue" under EC 261/2004. Perfectly understandable due to the passage of time.

Nonetheless, it is worth calling back and not simply reiterating the same request. Rather, this time point to the cancellation and ask for rebooking accommodation due to the cancellation. While legal arguments with front line agents are to be avoided, pointing to the Regulation may trigger a consultation with a supervisor or at least have someone more senior look at the ticket.

Quite reasonable not to accommodate OP, but quite possible that AA simply goes down the Section 8 rebooking workflow and does so.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 7:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fotographer
Not to pile on or anything.. but why wait all that time until you are trying to get back.
if you flight is cancelled , granted even though I am sure the phone lines were busy at that time... the Op should have sorted it out the.
As others suggest... just buy a one way and deal with a refund after you get back to the states
theres a very good chance that a Round-trip tkt will cost a fraction of what a 1 way will cost. I would either throw away the return or book the return if I plann on going back in the near future
Old Jul 16, 2020, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by craz
theres a very good chance that a Round-trip tkt will cost a fraction of what a 1 way will cost. I would either throw away the return or book the return if I plann on going back in the near future
Compared against the GBP570 AA non stop one way ( or GBP549 1 stop ) fare, the lowest r/t fare is one stop via DUB on EI at $507
( non stops on AA at $955. r/t )

Can save a bit , but does become 1 stop vs non stop - if having a use for the return leg or would rather save money rather than go non stop , would be worth it ; I would take a connection in Dublin over a connection in USA
Old Jul 16, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'd just forget about booking one-way; RT LHR-BOS available on many dates for under $400.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd just forget about booking one-way; RT LHR-BOS available on many dates for under $400.
Which dates/airlines in near future are you seeing such low fares for?
Old Jul 16, 2020, 5:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Which dates/airlines in near future are you seeing such low fares for?
I see those fares all over the calendar on a variety of carriers.

Though there seems to be a googleflights pricing error on the ST fares.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
We are missing a bit of info. There are cancelled flight obligations under EC261 depending on what actually happened.
Was the flight canceled because of a government agency stopped it?
What did you do after finding out it was canceled? What did you say to AA? What was there response?
Did you simply say, "I will let you know months from now what I want to do?" I don't think this means you can wait 4 months and then tell them you now need a ride back, unless something else has happened.
So, please tell us the Paul Harvey part..........".........the rest of the story"
The flight was cancelled after AA adjusted its flight schedules due to Covid. When i called them, I was told something along the lines of “ just call us back when you are ready to fly back and quote your original booking reference number”. For me that meant, we will put you on whatever flight is available when you are ready to flight; i did not expect i would be subject to repricing etc.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Thank you JJeffrey, I did the HUCA and this time I was quoted a fee of $320! Much better than $2,000!

I went ahead and made the change.

So I am all set.
JJeffrey, apeortdz and DC9 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.