Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy a refundable ticket, cancel it later if lower fare is available?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Just curious if there are any potential downsides to this approach: buy a fully refundable ticket for a flight that's six months away, then buy a lower fare if it appears (and I have a strong hunch it will) and cancel the refundable ticket? Will I be violating a clause in AA's contract of carriage, or in some other way raising a red flag?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ConstellationClass
Hi all,

Just curious if there are any potential downsides to this approach: buy a fully refundable ticket for a flight that's six months away, then buy a lower fare if it appears (and I have a strong hunch it will) and cancel the refundable ticket? Will I be violating a clause in AA's contract of carriage, or in some other way raising a red flag?
Nope. No violations, no red flags, nothing like that.
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Nope. No violations, no red flags, nothing like that.
Thank you very much!
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It almost always will be cheaper because you will be buying a restricted ticket which has, restrictions. So your fully refundable ticket has fun things like being changeable and flexible. Your restricted ticket not so much. So if you want to extend your return, you'll face additional fees, etc.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a bit confused. Is the refundable fare truly the cheapest fare being offered right now? If not, I don't really understand the point of this strategy. Why not just set a price alert and wait to see if a cheaper non-refundable fare pops up and do nothing for now. There will almost certainly always be non-refundable fares cheaper than the refundable fare available (unless you wait until the last moment to buy). I don't see the point in tying up your cash when this isn't actually some sort of insurance policy you would likely end up using. There was some research that suggest that around 42 days out is often the best time to buy (although there were some exceptions for holiday periods). So I'd say you have quite a bit of time to set an alert and see what pops up.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 18, 2020 at 7:37 pm
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by ConstellationClass
Hi all,

AFIK, you will be fine as long as the two reservations are not active at the same time.

The only impact is on your personal finances. You will have to say goodbye to that cash until you get the refund.

But why do you want to do that? You can always buy the ticket the day before and I bet that the lowest fare offered the day before will not be the refundable one; in other words, the last minute fare will be cheaper than the refundable fare anyway.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:30 am
Suspended

Yes, but the refundable fare will have other qualities that make it worth more. Options are not free.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yes, but the refundable fare will have other qualities that make it worth more. Options are not free.
In a vacuum what you say is correct.

But for practical matters, in the specific case of the OP, OP has said that will buy a refundable ticket and then cancel if there is a cheap fare. So that means that OP is ok with eventually having a ticket on a cheap fare without all the benefits of refundable fares.
So why doesn't he just buy a last minute ticket or even a walk up ticket OR set up an alert and buy when the ticket hits OP's price threshold?
Old Jun 19, 2020, 10:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by carlosdca
In a vacuum what you say is correct.

But for practical matters, in the specific case of the OP, OP has said that will buy a refundable ticket and then cancel if there is a cheap fare. So that means that OP is ok with eventually having a ticket on a cheap fare without all the benefits of refundable fares.
So why doesn't he just buy a last minute ticket or even a walk up ticket OR set up an alert and buy when the ticket hits OP's price threshold?
You are correct, of course. If OP does not care about flexibility of the ticket at any stage and the cost of a restrictive ticket does not exceed the cost of a flexible ticket at any time, then buying the latter makes little sense.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Don't some refundable fares have fees to cancel making it important to check the fare rules first?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 1:28 pm

AA undercover of darkness replaces Refundable with Flexible fare

Yes you have to be careful as AA undercover of darkness changed the easily purchase row on aa.com with Flexible versus Refundable so you must search the difficult to find rules. Flyers often think they are buying full fare refundable to find out the name change only when they want a refund.
Originally Posted by justhere
Don't some refundable fares have fees to cancel making it important to check the fare rules first?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.