FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Admirals Club / Lounges: Openings, Closures, etc. 2021-2022 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2018806-admirals-club-lounges-openings-closures-etc-2021-2022-a.html)

UAPremierGuy Feb 21, 2021 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 33051946)
It seems to be co-branded, and I believe (but not 100% sure) that at least one of the agents at the counter is an AA agent.

I like this lounge, and wish it would reopen, like weeks ago.

Yep. The AAngels at the front desk are/were AA staff. The fact that this lounge isn't open is even more of a bummer since UA has re-opened their club in HNL.

grapkoski Feb 22, 2021 8:26 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 33048540)
I haven't seen anything, but I wouldn't be shocked if it's not ready to open when the new terminal opens in April. Every time I fly out of DCA, the new terminal looks better and better -- jetbridges are now attached and it looks pretty much complete on the outside. Unrelated (and relatively trivial), there are new overhead signs in the ticketing hall (the ones that have arrows pointing you to the escalators, etc.), and they are now in a much more visually appealing font than the DCA standard font. This feels like a new change in the last week or so.

Saw my trainer this weekend who is transitioning into a career as an electrician. He's been working on Project Journey and said that his firm just bidded for the AA contract to build out the AC. So I think you are right - the club won't be ready when it soft opens in April. That said, you wouldn't think it would take too long to build out. I wonder if the authority is fronting the cash for build out.

I do think AA will keep all three lounges for now, but when a refresh is due in B/C they will close that. The Alaska (and maybe jetBlue) partnership may marignally increase traffic once National Hall is sterile.

CMK10 Feb 22, 2021 4:28 pm

I flew into Tampa last weekend. The app said the TPA AC was only operating as a service center but I decided to take a chance and I was happy to find it open

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Fl...IMG_7270-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Fl...IMG_7271-L.jpg

What a lovely Club. Friendly agents too, a local beer on tap (Cigar City Jai Lai) and even jelly beans.

born sleepy Feb 22, 2021 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George (Post 33051779)
Stopped by the ATL AC last week. The staff (as well as I) have no idea of why this club is not reopen to guests. The staff said they have no shortage of members coming into to see if the club is open. Furthermore, they've now been told there's no definitive date for re-opening. They understandably complained of boredom and not have passenger interaction.

To their great credit they have coffee to go. Also, after I left the club one of the front desk members sought me out in the terminal. She put me on an earlier flight leaving for CLT in about 10 minutes that had open seats in F.

Hmm... might be worth popping in for coffee then!

Seriously, this AC has been shut off long enough. It's my home airport and I'm kinda peeved paying for AC membership when it's unavailable on 50% (or more) of my flights.

CMK10 Feb 22, 2021 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George (Post 33051779)
Stopped by the ATL AC last week. The staff (as well as I) have no idea of why this club is not reopen to guests. The staff said they have no shortage of members coming into to see if the club is open. Furthermore, they've now been told there's no definitive date for re-opening. They understandably complained of boredom and not have passenger interaction.

To their great credit they have coffee to go. Also, after I left the club one of the front desk members sought me out in the terminal. She put me on an earlier flight leaving for CLT in about 10 minutes that had open seats in F.

Originally Posted by born sleepy (Post 33055008)
Hmm... might be worth popping in for coffee then!

Seriously, this AC has been shut off long enough. It's my home airport and I'm kinda peeved paying for AC membership when it's unavailable on 50% (or more) of my flights.

That's really disappointing. They quoted March as a reopening date to me back in early January. I've been getting swipes every time I've gone through ATL and it's sad to hear it's not doing much good.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Feb 23, 2021 3:04 am

TPA (and RDU) opened back in November. Right now ATL and PIT are just service center while EWR and STL are totally closed. Others can report but if UA has been able to open clubs at EWR I don't understand AA being closed. Or closed to members for the other 3 airports. Even like IAH if it's limited hours and no weekend hours.

Some airports like ORD, MIA and LAX do not have all clubs open which makes sense.

Global321 Feb 23, 2021 8:19 am

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George (Post 33055717)
TPA (and RDU) opened back in November. Right now ATL and PIT are just service center while EWR and STL are totally closed. Others can report but if UA has been able to open clubs at EWR I don't understand AA being closed. Or closed to members for the other 3 airports. Even like IAH if it's limited hours and no weekend hours.

Some airports like ORD, MIA and LAX do not have all clubs open which makes sense.

Isn't this mostly a HUB issue?

EWR/IAH are UA hubs. UA clubs open.
ORD/MIA/LAX are AA hubs. AA clubs open.
ATL is DL hub. DL club open.

Others on a case-by-case basis.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Feb 23, 2021 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Global321 (Post 33056228)
Isn't this mostly a HUB issue?

EWR/IAH are UA hubs. UA clubs open.
ORD/MIA/LAX are AA hubs. AA clubs open.
ATL is DL hub. DL club open.

Others on a case-by-case basis.

Not really when you consider all the other non hub clubs-TPA, MCO, DEN, AUS, IAH, etc. are open. DL's SC are open in AA hubs.

NYC Flyer Feb 23, 2021 2:27 pm

Visited LAX this morning. Have not been in since they resumed in-club seating following the brief take-away operation.

Have to say I was surprised at the limited complimentary food. Just a snack bag with fewer/less desirabe items than even last June.

Somewhat ironic that the Admirals Club had permitted eating/drinking for so long when AS,DL and Amex clubs were take-away only, and now that they are open for in-club dining (excl Amex), AA has reduced it's offering to some cheese cubes, sesame snacks and tiny carrots....but the greeter certainly made a point to show my the extensive display of food for sale.

UAPremierGuy Feb 23, 2021 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer (Post 33057157)
Visited LAX this morning. Have not been in since they resumed in-club seating following the brief take-away operation.

Have to say I was surprised at the limited complimentary food. Just a snack bag with fewer/less desirabe items than even last June.

Somewhat ironic that the Admirals Club had permitted eating/drinking for so long when AS,DL and Amex clubs were take-away only, and now that they are open for in-club dining (excl Amex), AA has reduced it's offering to some cheese cubes, sesame snacks and tiny carrots....but the greeter certainly made a point to show my the extensive display of food for sale.

pAAthetic. If they are offering food for sale, then there is no excuse to at least offer what other Admiral's Clubs in the system are offering. Hope you sent in a complaint.

Robert Feb 23, 2021 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer (Post 33057157)

I was in the LAX AC this morning as well for a brief period of time and this is what was offered...

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...47c03b3ef.jpeg

...pAAthetic indeed when the competition at LAX (Centurion Lounge, Alaska Lounge, UA Club) all provide more substantive offerings.

CMK10 Mar 8, 2021 6:51 pm

As of this week both CLT ACs close at 10:15 PM. Until last week they were only open until 9 PM but with the return of AA's late CLT bank of flights the lounges are open later.

Also they have jelly beans which makes me very happy.

SFO777 Mar 8, 2021 6:55 pm

DEN is sort of open... as long as you're not departing after 5pm.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...adbb8a6568.jpg

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Mar 9, 2021 5:32 am

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 33086996)
DEN is sort of open... as long as you're not departing after 4pm.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...adbb8a6568.jpg

At least DEN is open on the weekends. IAH has similar weekly hours (although I think the latest outbound flight is around 6PM) but is closed on Saturday and Sunday.

UAPremierGuy Mar 9, 2021 7:00 am

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George (Post 33087783)
At least DEN is open on the weekends. IAH has similar weekly hours (although I think the latest outbound flight is around 6PM) but is closed on Saturday and Sunday.

I guess that is one good thing about having a joint lounge with BA.