Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Doug Parker Flies Southwest and Gets Into a Conversation About Race

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2020, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT

https://viewfromthewing.com/doug-par...ion-about-race

First saw this posted in the WN forum, believe it is required reading for those of us who are no fans of Dougie as AAL's CEO, but perhaps should respect him as a person.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 9:33 pm

I wonder why he was flying Southwest?
Old Jun 1, 2020, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Gringa
He said that AA flights were sold out
wrp96 and Gringa like this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by diver858
https://viewfromthewing.com/doug-par...ion-about-race

First saw this posted in the WN forum, believe it is required reading for those of us who are no fans of Dougie as AAL's CEO, but perhaps should respect him as a person.
My opinion of DP just went up quite a few pegs!
Old Jun 2, 2020, 12:09 am

Wonder why flying SW, as a senior executive no one except an FAA performing one of their duties could kick him off the jumpseat. Probably afraid an AA captain wouldnt let him
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Falconkidding
Wonder why flying SW, as a senior executive no one except an FAA performing one of their duties could kick him off the jumpseat. Probably afraid an AA captain wouldnt let him
It may have been timing. Full flights isnt the only issue. Nowadays it generally takes a forced overnight to go from NYC to AUS/SAT! Departing from JFK required going via LAX, EWR/LGA could go via DFW, but all required an overnight for weekday departures.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 4:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
They did a follow-up story here, which is Doug's side of the interaction:
https://viewfromthewing.com/doug-par...wQeaejSMI45TR8

It also explains:
He explains why he was on Southwest Airlines in the first place, “I needed to get to Panama City, FL and all of our seats were sold out!” It was kind of him not to bump a passenger.
jazzhou likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 4:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
just wondering why the rush was to get to Panama City in the first place?.... I am sure it had nothing to do with anything AA related
and it was kind of him not to bump a passenger? really Mr. Parker..? you know there is something called a jump seat?

but I digress... its because SouthWest, has better seats/ and they offer drinks and a snack.. something AA seems to be lacking at this moment..
Old Jun 2, 2020, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by fotographer
just wondering why the rush was to get to Panama City in the first place?.... I am sure it had nothing to do with anything AA related
and it was kind of him not to bump a passenger? really Mr. Parker..? you know there is something called a jump seat?
To me its really none of anyones business. It doesnt take a Rhodes scholar to see the many reasons why there could be need to travel that arent related to his day job. Perhaps he wanted to leave the JS for commuters or simply didnt want to travel and have a game face on. Again, the reasons arent anyones business. Heck, Herb Kelleher was known to fly AA when he needed to go somewhere that wasnt on his own metal.

but I digress... its because SouthWest, has better seats/ and they offer drinks and a snack.. something AA seems to be lacking at this moment ..
if youre fixating on a 1/2 ounce bag of pretzels all I can say Is that fine, but youre missing the genuine emotions of the interaction and the larger message everyone could learn from.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt

but I digress... its because SouthWest, has better seats/ and they offer drinks and a snack.. something AA seems to be lacking at this moment..
Do you ask this question of every AA employee travelling on a different airline?
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Gringa
Perhaps AA has been enhanced to a level even DP doesnt accept.
gateH15 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I've been meaning to read the book. It is sold out on Amazon but I just ordered it. I ordered in paperback so that I can get the rest of my family to read it.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
The guy takes a lot of public criticism for the way he leads the company and operates the business, much of it deserved.
I wish stories & anecdotes like these were more the norm for him (like Herb K) instead of the exception.
But this displays a pretty pensive, dynamic & inspirational side to him. Hope to see more of it.
SJOGuy, Gerbs and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
you know there is something called a jump seat?
Is he jumpseat qualified?
Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

WN stopped drink/snack service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.