Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Improving flights post sched-change on Award Web Specials

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2020, 11:29 am
Original Poster

While the terms of Award Web Specials includes no changes, I assume this is really no voluntary changes and that AA will be just as accommodating rebooking on new flights post schedule change as if booking standard awards. Correct?
Old May 15, 2020, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes. However in the past (pre CV19) I had agents tell me the web specials could only be rebooked if same inventory was available. Ie they wouldn't rebook onto another AA flight if it required overriding inventory.

I dont know how correct this is. I booked very few web specials, only two needed a change due to AA schedule changes.
Old May 15, 2020, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

yeah, I'm just gaming a bit to flip a 20K connecting transcon into a nonstop flatbed that's currently pricing at 107.5K, knowing there's going be tons of schedule changes for as far as the eye can see
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Colin
yeah, I'm just gaming a bit to flip a 20K connecting transcon into a nonstop flatbed that's currently pricing at 107.5K, knowing there's going be tons of schedule changes for as far as the eye can see
well, that was sure easy.
Old May 17, 2020, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Colin
well, that was sure easy.
Were you able to make the change already?
Old May 21, 2020, 5:27 pm

I'm kinda in the same boat. AA's PHL-CMN segment was Xd in my Web Special rez, which was supposed to commence next month. I tried looking for Royal Air Maroc (AT) availability now that they are a full-fledged One World member. AA says bookable on aa.com but no dice. Called AAdvantage Rezs and told them I could see the space on ba.com but not on aa.com. But they couldn't see it on their system. Asked me to call back -- agent thought there may have been a memo that the AA-AT agreement could have been delayed due to COVID.

Maybe I should start a new thread for AT award inventory visible to AA...

Anyways... in this case the issue is not the AA flights, it's the fact that AT still doesn't show award redemption availability from any of the US gateways... yet...
Old May 22, 2020, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Im curious about this, too. Might be worth making speculative bookings at lower award rates for later in the year because we know rates are going to spike when supply/inventory drops (increasing demand). I can't see many web specials at the moment, but am hoping we would be able to make changes to these if AA cancels a flight in advance. I wonder if this applies to Reduced Mileage awards for credit card holders, too?
Old May 23, 2020, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes. However in the past (pre CV19) I had agents tell me the web specials could only be rebooked if same inventory was available. Ie they wouldn't rebook onto another AA flight if it required overriding inventory.

I dont know how correct this is. I booked very few web specials, only two needed a change due to AA schedule changes.
I had several schedule changes for web special tickets pre-covid, and when it comes to schedule change or cancellation, web special was no different from any other tickets - AA was willing to change to any flights regardless of the award availability without any charge. But some agents were not familiar with web special and they said something odd like in your experience. Was told that they cannot even touch web special tickets, was told that I have to pay the difference, was told that they can only cancel, no change, etc. Just HUCA.
Old May 23, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
I had several schedule changes for web special tickets pre-covid, and when it comes to schedule change or cancellation, web special was no different from any other tickets - AA was willing to change to any flights regardless of the award availability without any charge. But some agents were not familiar with web special and they said something odd like in your experience. Was told that they cannot even touch web special tickets, was told that I have to pay the difference, was told that they can only cancel, no change, etc. Just HUCA.
I have had good luck getting an award travel ticket changed via Twitter....maybe try that.
Old May 23, 2020, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
are they willing to change date +/- 1 or airport if it is within a certain radius? Typically, no, but with some airports only having 1-2 flights per day, it might be necessary.
Old May 24, 2020, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
are they willing to change date +/- 1 or airport if it is within a certain radius? Typically, no, but with some airports only having 1-2 flights per day, it might be necessary.
If flight leaves too early or arrives too late, or if there's any good reason, they would change the date as well, just like any other involuntary schedule change or cancellation situations.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I got 4x SEA-LAX-LHR for Aug 1 at 42k per ticket back in early April. Picked LAX for the evening departure, we hate are landing in LHR before noon because we dont get enough sleep.

Got an alert in the app that we were moved to DFW connection that arrives at 7:45am in LHR, ugh! Total time change is over the new 241 minutes rule. But i look around and if appears AA has not only dropped LAX-LHR altogether, but also moved all LHR departures from DFW to much earlier.

I guessing this is a long shot, but would they move me to the evening nonstop SEA-LHR which has plenty of u bucket space but honor the 42k rate I am
Booked at?
Old Jun 13, 2020, 10:00 am
Original Poster

what did AA tell you when you called and asked?
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Bumping this thread as it still comes up on Google searches, had no problem rescheduling my Web Special awards to simple one stop connections, removing an overnight layover in one case and moving a red-eye flight to an afternoon flight in another case after a schedule change. Original flights were booked at deep discounted web special rates of 6000 and 6500 miles each.

Both trips had 3+ hrs added to total travel time as result of the schedule change, and one of them had an extra connection forced into it.

A quick message on twitter with the flights I wanted to change to was all it took to get put on simple one-stop flights, no real hassle there and skipping the phone lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.