Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Seat blocking for Covid / Coronavirus (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat blocking for Covid / Coronavirus (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
I am on an Oasis 738 LGA-ORD in 2F. All F seats filled up quickly except for 1B. Towards the end of boarding, a uniformed pilot, I assume deadheading, took 1B.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I'm booked on AUS-DFW-JAC/JAC-DFW-AUS in August. On all my flights, the aisle seats in row 1 are blocked.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Gold, United Silver, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
AA 5493 (CRJ900) STL to CLT they blocked both 1D and 2D. Only one EXP made the upgrade. Sheena going on as they ended up bringIng people from E up to 1st not following upgrade priority list.

Last edited by schor662; Jun 28, 2020 at 11:06 am
Old Jun 28, 2020, 4:12 pm

Flying phl to pns today..... was told at gate they were blocking ENTIRE first class..... i asked several times nicely about it... they said policy was plane to plane. About 5 min later manager came up to me and said they got approval to upgrade one person = me! They were very nice and seemed confused as to why 1st was blocked.
So here I sit in first class all alone..... rest of plane is packed
Old Jun 28, 2020, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jimmyz1
Flying phl to pns today..... was told at gate they were blocking ENTIRE first class..... i asked several times nicely about it... they said policy was plane to plane. About 5 min later manager came up to me and said they got approval to upgrade one person = me! They were very nice and seemed confused as to why 1st was blocked.
So here I sit in first class all alone..... rest of plane is packed
This sounds like individual flight crews are now dictating UPG decisions.....with more fear out there with all these rising cases I can see why they might not want a full FC cabin. This must have been AE? No way this could happen on mainline but why even the difference?
Old Jun 28, 2020, 5:22 pm

Programs: American EXP, Alaska, Delta, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite,Avis Pref Plus,AMEX Platinum
AA EXP not flying AA legs anymore. Alaska is my new go to airline.

AA now removing all pretense and announcing that they are no longer blocking middle seats (they never really did) and will book to full capacity. They had been cancelling flights and then cramming a later one already. They had also NEVER followed any of their announced social distancing or mask requirements. As an AA EXP I have switched to Alaska for better flights - more room, more and better nonstops (time of day), and a more consistent experience. I have been flying BLI-MIA several times a month for the past 3 years. I am now flying SEA-FLL and doing the 40 mile drive to work (next to MIA). I have had phone calls, promises, miles, and non stop AA emails telling me what AA was going to do and they have done none of it!

I am giving up all of the perks because although AA and Alaska say they are back together, Alaska is still hitting me with bag fees and I get no loyalty perks (early boarding/upgrades/free bags/better seat choices). I don’t know when, or if, AA will ever get back to where they were, but I am willing to take the hit, and may have flown my last AA operated flight. I am waiting for the inevitable bankruptcy so they can screw everyone (employees included) and stop the insincere “we are getting better and we mean it” routine. Not sure how it will go if Alaska actually ever getS the full Star Alliance membership, but I will forgo flying AA until that happens.
newbiztraveler likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Boost230
AA now removing all pretense and announcing that they are no longer blocking middle seats (they never really did) and will book to full capacity. They had been cancelling flights and then cramming a later one already. They had also NEVER followed any of their announced social distancing or mask requirements. As an AA EXP I have switched to Alaska for better flights - more room, more and better nonstops (time of day), and a more consistent experience. I have been flying BLI-MIA several times a month for the past 3 years. I am now flying SEA-FLL and doing the 40 mile drive to work (next to MIA). I have had phone calls, promises, miles, and non stop AA emails telling me what AA was going to do and they have done none of it!

I am giving up all of the perks because although AA and Alaska say they are back together, Alaska is still hitting me with bag fees and I get no loyalty perks (early boarding/upgrades/free bags/better seat choices). I don’t know when, or if, AA will ever get back to where they were, but I am willing to take the hit, and may have flown my last AA operated flight. I am waiting for the inevitable bankruptcy so they can screw everyone (employees included) and stop the insincere “we are getting better and we mean it” routine. Not sure how it will go if Alaska actually ever getS the full Star Alliance membership, but I will forgo flying AA until that happens.
If you’re flying in Y why would you ever consider AA right now? If another airline has middles blocked that’s just plain better (not even from an illness standpoint). If I’m flying Y right now I’m definitely choosing airlines blocking middles.

If flying F, I would still choose AA. At least they’re making a mild attempt at still providing F service.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Boost230
AS is joining OW not Star Alliance. It is supposed to occur in summer 2021 but not sure if that will be delayed. Recognition of AA status will be realized. AS MVPG75K should provide OWE. If you are still crediting your AA & AS flights to AA you might want to consider the BofA Alaska cobranded creit card which provides for waived baggage fees. Alternatively, in the interim, you could credit AS and AA flights to AS. With 25K AS + Partner (20K all AS) miles you would attain MVP which would also waive baggage fees and move you up in the boarding order and eligible for complimentary upgrades.

AS is also providing a 50% EQM bonus on all flights through the end of the year. To attain MVP would require 13.3K miles flown on AS, MVPG 26.7K & Top Tier 75K 50K miles during the promotion. 3 AS transcons return would earn MVP.

Attaining 75K would also provide 50K Bonus RDM. Every flight in any class, including Saver (like BE on AA but fewer restrictions for Elites) earns 1 mile for each mile flown without a revenue component.

James
Old Jun 28, 2020, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
This sounds like individual flight crews are now dictating UPG decisions.....with more fear out there with all these rising cases I can see why they might not want a full FC cabin. This must have been AE? No way this could happen on mainline but why even the difference?
yes american eagle
Old Jun 28, 2020, 7:24 pm

Programs: American EXP, Alaska, Delta, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite,Avis Pref Plus,AMEX Platinum
It was mainline. DFW-SEA
Old Jun 29, 2020, 1:55 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Thread closed for maintenance and cleanup. Thanks.

Thread re-opened. As a reminder, this thread is for the discussion of blocking domestic F seats. General discourse about masks, physical distancing, or epidemiology are not appropriate for this forum and will be deleted. Thanks for your continued understanding and cooperation!

/Moderator

Last edited by JY1024; Jun 29, 2020 at 5:47 am
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:07 am

Thank you for pointing that out!
Old Jul 1, 2020, 3:21 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
The first row of F is blocked for self seat assignments but as I and others have seen GAs are unblocking them and filling them with paxs.
I booked online PHX-JFK for Dec and selected first row on both outbound and return.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
PDBs? Did I hear PDBs?!

FWIW: Flew ONT-DFW-LGA-BOS on July 2. Forgot to check seat blocking before, but there were no FAs seated in F, all F seats full on all flights. Drink orders were taken pro-actively (in-flight only) on all three flights.

There was a whole to-do in which a gal who was on the first flight asked me at DFW if she would be ok staying in NYC, given that she was on a roundtrip ticket returning to ONT three days later... They had just added CA to the list of states requiring 14 day quarantine upon arrival (along with TX,) to allegedly be enforced "by troopers," as announced at the gate at DFW. The gal was rather upset, and this upgauged to hysterics as the trip went on. I partially felt bad for her, but she also had it coming by not informing herself on what the rules were before departure. If anything, the agents at ONT (fewer than usual, working full flights and clearly stressed), should have said something. Or maybe they did!

They handed out the CDC questionnaire starting midway through boarding, and a GA then came on with the remaining papers for those who had boarded in earlier groups. There was a shortage of writing utensils, so several other F pax borrowed pens from yours truly.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 2:54 pm

For premium transcon, are they upgrading J flyers to F?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.