Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA reports $2.2 billion 1st quarter 2020 loss

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA reports $2.2 billion 1st quarter 2020 loss

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Weird, I thought they were never going to lose money again....
Do you feel better now? We all know what he said, and we all know that the industry has been affected by an unprecedented and unforeseen special event. Did your company foresee this and forecast a loss this quarter?
deeruck and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by cedric
Do you feel better now? We all know what he said, and we all know that the industry has been affected by an unprecedented and unforeseen special event. Did your company foresee this and forecast a loss this quarter?
I imagine it's a touch of schadenfreude at Doug Parker the person rather than any ill will towards the airline in and of itself.

Let's not forget that Parker has presided over some pretty significant degradations of PaxEx and Loyalty, all the while running an airline that has consistently ranked well below its peers in many metrics. I can't remember the last time American led on any initiative, be it good or bad - always following the pack. In any case the corporate guillotine will fall on DP before the year is out. Lets hope the next CEO is able to strike a better balance between running a business and taking adequate care of customers.
BearX220, Spiff, JJeffrey and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I’m going to go on a limb and say it’s a CEO’s job to expect the unexpected and be prepared for every eventuality.

Anyone with half a brain could tell you there was a 100% chance that airlines would definitely lose money again. Luckily Doug lacks even half a brain...
BearX220, SFO777, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 4:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
but dont worry.. Mr. Parker will still be getting his full salary and of course his big big bonus...
Old May 1, 2020, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by fotographer
but dont worry.. Mr. Parker will still be getting his full salary and of course his big big bonus...
Doug doesn't take a salary. He's been paid in stock since 2015.
Old May 1, 2020, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
This.

Q2 earnings are going to be a bloodbath.
I am going to guess 10B at the bare minimum. The April is already gone, we have most of May already locked down, and very likely June will be gone too.

AA already lost money(from flying passengers) before pandemic, they would just be using the Coronavirus as an excuse.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; May 2, 2020 at 2:44 am
Old May 1, 2020, 5:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Austin787
January, February, and the first 2 weeks in March were mostly normal. It was the last 2 weeks of March when traffic tanked. Q2 will be first full quarter of reduced traffic and the financials will be ugly.
All true but name me a set of financials from any sector that the markets will love? Even Amazon is bemoaning its extra costs of doing business.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:14 am

which shows in the things AA has prioritized during his tenure
Old May 1, 2020, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
I am going to guess 10B at the bare minimum. The April is already gone, and we have most of May already locked down, and very likely June will be gone too.

AA already lost money(from flying passengers) before pandemic, they would just be using the Coronavirus as an excuse.
they were also grounding 737-max too though, so at least two external factors that each exert incredible stress. Not an excuse but agreed it is a complex situation.
Old May 1, 2020, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Makes you wonder if C19 will be what PA103 was to Pan Am

Last edited by enviroian; May 1, 2020 at 9:20 am
Old May 1, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
never know that .. thanks for the correction.....
Old May 1, 2020, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
which shows in the things AA has prioritized during his tenure
Meaning what???

The reality is the one group of people AA treats even worse than its customers is its shareholders.

Speaking of which, one analyst revised his price target on AAL... to one dollar!
Spiff likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
AA is problematic from a standpoint it's got a lot of new a/c with lease or finance payments. How is AA going to be able to cover these payments with some of those a/c parked or flying only a couple of segments a day?
Old May 1, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Of course this was an unprecedented and unforeseen event, which is exactly why you don't go making such bold and idiotic claims when you're the head of an AIRLINE. It's hard to think of any industry that's been more topsy turvy or susceptible to unprecedented or unforeseen events than the airline industry.

And BTW unlike some I have nothing personal against DP or AA, but the comment in question was just stupid for the reasons mentioned above.
BearX220 likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.