Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

For nostalgia would you book mileage J class on a BA 744 vs a 772 AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For nostalgia would you book mileage J class on a BA 744 vs a 772 AA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
The BA taxes/fees for a US-LHR award in business has been at the ~$280 level for many months now (6+, definitely pre corona). If you connect beyond LHR, it skyrockets back to the usual $600+ when you add the connecting flight.

Back to the question at hand, I would forget about connecting through YVR and paying even $280 or whatever on BA. AA is offering web special space in Business on 11/22 for DFW-ORD-LHR or DFW-LAX-LHR for 42k miles + $5.60. I'd cancel the original and take one of those in a heartbeat.
Gerbs likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Djokison
Quite a few have already had an early retirement due to Corona.
That's what I mean...
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AA is offering web special space in Business on 11/22 for DFW-ORD-LHR or DFW-LAX-LHR for 42k miles + $5.60. I'd cancel the original and take one of those in a heartbeat.
Oh? I just looked and only see ORD connections on 11/22 for 57.5. Where are you seeing this? I would switch to the LAX flight in a Doug Parker minute if I see that.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Oh? I just looked and only see ORD connections on 11/22 for 57.5. Where are you seeing this? I would switch to the LAX flight in a Doug Parker minute if I see that.
Sounds like you might be using the old award search interface...try this link: https://www.aa.com/booking/find-flights/award.
I'm only seeing ORD connections at 42k on 11/22, but there are LAX connections on 11/23. IME, the 42k web specials correlate with C space on the longhaul leg, so it might be worth setting up EF alerts for C space from LAX if you'd prefer that routing.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aacar
Sounds like you might be using the old award search interface...try this link: https://www.aa.com/booking/find-flights/award.
+1

Lots of 42K options. Indeed, most days that week have 42K options...

Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
If I were weighing this, if the dates were the same I think I'd just take the cheaper one (meaning non-BA) and deal with it... but in your case you get chance to have 2 extra days in the UK, plus a LOT more sleep on the way over, which helps me tremendously. I fly mostly TPAC and I absolutely hate TYO/SEL to SFO/LAX/SEA flights. I'll go ORD or NYC any day for some extra sleep. Longer flight on a flat bed seat is a win in my opinion... then there is the 744 upper deck which I have a real special memory for and sadly I'll likely never experience again. When I first started to Asia, still living in the US, nearly every flight was a 744, then started to 772 a couple years later. I spent a tremendous amount of time on NW, KE, and CX 744 upper decks and absolutely loved it. It's a unique experience that I'll never forget.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

good tips folks, thanks. Yeah I was looking at the old interface meaning when I log on to the home page I then would then click "plan travel" at the top and then click flights.

The thought of being long haul on a 744 upstairs is tantalizing but I would be pretty miffed if they switch it out to some circa 1995 dino 772.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm only seeing ORD connections at 42k on 11/22, but there are LAX connections on 11/23. IME, the 42k web specials correlate with C space on the longhaul leg, so it might be worth setting up EF alerts for C space from LAX if you'd prefer that routing.
Yes good tip I will set my EF alerts. It's been so long since I've used it I may have to take a tutorial.

That LAX flight is gone for 11/23 unfortunately.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:15 pm

That LAX flight is gone for 11/23 unfortunately.
Do you mean 11/22? I still see DFW-LAX-LHR on 11/23.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Do you mean 11/22? I still see DFW-LAX-LHR on 11/23.
No sorry 11/23 I don't see it.

Also I just ran EF for U class. There is only one U available flight showing on Sunday 11/22 (the morning ORD-LHR flight). The web specials on Sunday clearly show evening ORD, JFK, and BOS departures. Is it possible these web saver flights are under a different bucket and not showing on EF?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:28 pm

No sorry 11/23 I don't see it.
Still seeing this, a few different options via LAX:

Also I just ran EF for U class. There is only one U available flight showing on Sunday 11/22 (the morning ORD-LHR flight). The web specials on Sunday clearly show evening ORD, JFK, and BOS departures. Is it possible these web saver flights are under a different bucket and not showing on EF?
Yeah as I stated above it seems like these web specials correspond to C space on the longhaul leg, not U.
enviroian likes this.

Last edited by aacar; Apr 30, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The 6pm DFW-LHR AA nonstop is available 11/23 at 56K...

Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
The 6pm DFW-LHR AA nonstop is available 11/23 at 56K...
Not as fun as going through LAX
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:45 pm

BA on the upper deck if you can swing it. Quiet, gobs of storage in the side bins, closet for rollaboards, and 2 lavs/2 FAs for 20 passengers max.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
If you've never flown on a B747, then perhaps it would be worth it to fly on BA, if you could get in an exit row upstairs. I've flown on the B747 several times, just twice in business (once on BA LHR-JFK and once on NW SEL-DTW). I found the BA service similar to that of AA's long-haul service, but the hard product was definitely not nearly as nice (the IFE was quite dated, as was the seat). It definitely is no QR.
I'd certainly not fly DFW-YVR then hop on an even longer flight to LHR. I flew AA DFW-LHR in business in January and thought it was a solid product (it was days after flying QR, so I really had to try to disregard that experience).

All that said, I think this is putting the cart before the horse. I'd put the odds of flying international this year at 50%, if that. Certainly if you have some sort of UK residency status then you could go tomorrow if you'd like (subject to quarantine).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.