Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Doesnt Care (cancellations & refunds)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:51 am
Original Poster

American Airlines, who just had their hand out for taxpayer money, doesn't feel they need to take care of customer issues. Why should they; we bailed them out.

I fly a lot; Platinum Pro on American and A List Preferred on Southwest, and 3-4 Delta flights a year as well. I noticed a change in customer service earlier this year; they cancelled a flight in early March and I had to take a cab to Boston (60 miles away) to catch a flight down there. Their issue yet they refused to reimburse for cab, and I ended up from first class to coach with ZERO reimbursement or credit and the cancelled flight was their issue.

Less than 60 days later, I had to cancel a trip for next month for a graduation that has been cancelled. IHG had NO problem cancelling and refunding NON refundable rooms; National had no problem cancelling cars. But American would not issue a refund for two passengers in their 80s who have not travelled in over 5 years, and were only travelling reluctantly for the graduation. They are in the high risk category for COVID and will not be travelling in the future; period. I asked American for a refund or perhaps a credit for ME to use. They said no. They said someone would call me (has not happened) and emails to Doug Parker and Vince Carcaterra ignored. Maybe they are too busy with other complaints or maybe they just don't care.

They said they would send me by email a voucher for future use for the cancelled flight. They sent me an email and when I clicked on it, an error message came up. They have not responded to any inquiry on this either. Is a phony voucher link fraud?

They have lost a customer that has been flying with them since 1984 and they will no longer be used by our employees for travel. They are tone deaf and perhaps now with taxpayer money they don't feel they need to care or be accountable to anyone. Thankfully there are other airlines.

Perhaps a call from the FTC and CPB about phony vouchers will bring about some change.
smartytravel and birdiedouble like this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you wait until a few days in, it's possible that AA will cancel the flight, and then you'd be eligible for a cash refund.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by malbaieriver
Less than 60 days later, I had to cancel a trip for next month for a graduation that has been cancelled. IHG had NO problem cancelling and refunding NON refundable rooms; National had no problem cancelling cars. But American would not issue a refund for two passengers in their 80s who have not travelled in over 5 years, and were only travelling reluctantly for the graduation. They are in the high risk category for COVID and will not be travelling in the future; period. I asked American for a refund or perhaps a credit for ME to use. They said no. They said someone would call me (has not happened) and emails to Doug Parker and Vince Carcaterra ignored. Maybe they are too busy with other complaints or maybe they just don't care.
AA provided vouchers at full value for non-refundable tickets. This is fair given the situation. What more are you expecting?
AA100k, IAHtraveler, ajf87 and 7 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

You might want to read the thread titled Requesting refund for a canceled flight, particularly reading the Wikipost at the top of the page.

This thread may well end up merged into that one.

Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Which US airline do you think would have paid your cab fare for the 60 mile trip to BOS?
When an airline cancels a flight you normally get a fare refund if you cannot agree to rescheduling. That would usually mean a later flight from the same location.
If an alternative airport is needed, the airline might assist with a shuttle between airports. Deciding on your own to take a cab is generally not something I would expect reimbursement for.

"They have not responded to any inquiry on this either. Is a phony voucher link fraud?" - Fraud?
"
Perhaps a call from the FTC and CPB about phony vouchers will bring about some change."
Do you really believe AA purposely sent you a non-working link to a voucher? SERIOUSLY?
For what purpose? If AA was trying to save money, it would be charging the standard change fees for tickets people have canceled due to COVID.

The link to voucher thing must be new normally I have just referenced the old ticket number when booking a new reservatation
I have never received a "voucher" when canceling a flight. I don't think AA would send you a link as a fraud.....
Which US carrier do you would have given you a refund?
You have identified 2 things which have cause you to decide that neither you nor your employees will fly AA.
Both of those things, the cab fare and getting a voucher for a non-refundable fare, would be the same on other carriers
Regarding the voucher link, call AA and ask, or contact via facebook or twitter. Email often takes awhile to get a response to, especially now due to all of the cancellations
FrogProf likes this.

Last edited by mvoight; Apr 28, 2020 at 11:48 am
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Genuine lol at you emailing Doug Parker
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
<redacted>

i have been under a “real” lockdown in Paris since the beginning. I start my trek back to DFW in 2 weeks, staying Schceingen, and avoiding LHR like the ...plague. 😀. French Lockdown is being eased May 11.

AA EXP desk totally worked out side the box, to try and get me home after I have been cancelled 3 times. Hopefully the fourth times a charm!

Just sayin’. YMMV

Fly........safely

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 28, 2020 at 8:42 pm Reason: Overly personalized bit deleted
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:28 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Yeah they probably don't care. Maybe as a goodwill gesture they could have reimbursed your cab ride, but oh well. Some will and some won't, but the key is to ASK NICELY. Don't act like you're entitled just because you have status. These airlines are in survival mode right now. Everyone seems to hate on AA (and I'm not defending them) but United wouldn't refund my flights to Europe until they were canceled and even then I had to nicely argue with them.
You could always "buy" their travel credit from them for you to use next time you need to fly.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EP
Let us know how the other airline’s policies are any different. Make sure u do a status match to either DL or UA....

Originally Posted by malbaieriver
American Airlines, who just had their hand out for taxpayer money, doesn't feel they need to take care of customer issues. Why should they; we bailed them out.

I fly a lot; Platinum Pro on American and A List Preferred on Southwest, and 3-4 Delta flights a year as well. I noticed a change in customer service earlier this year; they cancelled a flight in early March and I had to take a cab to Boston (60 miles away) to catch a flight down there. Their issue yet they refused to reimburse for cab, and I ended up from first class to coach with ZERO reimbursement or credit and the cancelled flight was their issue.

They said they would send me by email a voucher for future use for the cancelled flight. They sent me an email and when I clicked on it, an error message came up. They have not responded to any inquiry on this either. Is a phony voucher link fraud?

They have lost a customer that has been flying with them since 1984 and they will no longer be used by our employees for travel. They are tone deaf and perhaps now with taxpayer money they don't feel they need to care or be accountable to anyone. Thankfully there are other airlines.

Perhaps a call from the FTC and CPB about phony vouchers will bring about some change.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:53 pm

Good grief. The world has turned upside down, hundreds of thousands are deceased and poor OP - a Platinum Pro, no less, didn’t have the airline jump at his command!
JPG3392, FAA1996, rumboj and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
As an exec plat, AA has reimbursed taxi fare for me when they changed the location of my flight from JFK to LGA - but it was something I negotiated before accepting the flight change.

Customer service varies greatly with AA - sometimes you need to talk to another representative.

Putting it out there so that people know that exceptions are made at times.

Originally Posted by mvoight
Which US airline do you think would have paid your cab fare for the 60 mile trip to BOS?
When an airline cancels a flight you normally get a fare refund if you cannot agree to rescheduling. That would usually mean a later flight from the same location.
If an alternative airport is needed, the airline might assist with a shuttle between airports. Deciding on your own to take a cab is generally not something I would expect reimbursement for.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lifeisart
As an exec plat, AA has reimbursed taxi fare for me when they changed the location of my flight from JFK to LGA - but it was something I negotiated before accepting the flight change.

Customer service varies greatly with AA - sometimes you need to talk to another representative.

Generally speaking, if it clear and obvious WX, AA has been reasonable with reaccomodation. They key to a quick resolution is to have a viable alternative in place and ask for that.

For example, i had an MX issues that ended up with me in IAH despite my car being in HOU. Rather than cab it (1.5 hours in rush hour +), I asked AA to send me IAH-DFW-HOU, which they did.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:17 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

JFK to LGA is about 10 miles, OP taxied for 60 miles.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but JFK and LGA are co-terminals, and OP seems to be a believer in Erma Bombeck
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
JFK to LGA is about 10 miles, OP taxied for 60 miles.
And, no out of city surcharges

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.