Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MIA/FLL to YHZ??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2020, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Question MIA/FLL to YHZ??

Hi all as an Aussie with very little experience flying in a US winter and understanding good /bad hubs or time of year regarding snow, ice, fog delays etc, I'd like to ask if I could get some sound advice here.
Will be in FLL then making my way to YHZ around 22/23 December(if this damn virus thing allows)

Currently holding Qantas award booking:
FLL-(CLT)-YUL overnight then WS YUL-YHZ next morning. AA/AA/WS in F/J/Y

I have the option to change to following if I drive to MIA, also Qantas award bookings:
1. MIA-YUL overnight then WS to YHZ next morning AA/WS in F/Y
OR
2. MIA-MCO-YHZ AA/WS Y/Y

-No AA lounge in FLL but lounge in MIA
-Is the drive to MIA worth hassle cost? (I won't be driving so shuttle or uber)
-I have very little desire to sit on a WS plane for 3.5 hrs in Y(No W availability)
-Is it worth the hassle and just stick with what I've got?

I don't mind overnighting in YUL but my main concern is the likelihood of delays due to weather and using those airports.

So...Which is best & safest?
I'm tired of YHZ not being able to hold down any convenient flights to/from US. One min they are there next min they are gone, forcing musical chairs each time I visit relatives tin YHZ.
Thanks but I'm hoping with everyone in lockdown my dilemma will go some way in keeping you busy

Thanks!
CJ

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Apr 10, 2020 at 6:45 pm
Old Apr 10, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Plenty of nonstops to Halifax from FLL, just not in oneWorld. And I think Sunwing has it nonstop from MIA. If other options require overnights, why go through that hassle.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Plenty of nonstops to Halifax from FLL, just not in oneWorld. And I think Sunwing has it nonstop from MIA. If other options require overnights, why go through that hassle.
I've looked at Skyscanner and Kayak; both don't show anything direct?
Further I was trying to use my points. Internal flights are very expensive in Nth America esp when it involves Canada(for not much of a hard or soft product either)
Old Apr 10, 2020, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is your question which city is most or least likely to be having a snowstorm / weather delays around 22/23 Dec?

That is unpredictable in that part of the world that time of year; any routing has a risk. I would say plan your travel around other factors.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I don't mind the ride to MIA, and I'd rather avoid connecting in CLT around the holidays. Stay at the (nice & convenient) YUL Marriott in the terminal and the overnight is no big deal.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 10:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Further I was trying to use my points. Internal flights are very expensive in Nth America esp when it involves Canada(for not much of a hard or soft product either)
Probably because the holiday carriers like Air Transat and Sunwing have not loaded schedules. Also, not daily only a few times a week.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I would guess the least likely for a delay would be MIA-YUL
Cedar Jet likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 8:58 am

Hi,

I can't advise on the routings or weather, but I did note you mentioned FLL-MIA by shuttle/uber. You also have the tri-rail option, cheap, direct, easy.

Pack a toque! ;-)
Cedar Jet likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Usually snow isn't a huge issue, ice is more so, so I'd personally be more comfortable with a YUL or YYZ transit than CLT, ORD, etc at that time of the year. However, I've done loads of December and January flights and only encountered serious issues/delays a small handful of times. Unless you absolutely have to be there on a certain day at a certain time, I still choose my routing based on convenience.

Something else you could consider is flying to Bangor, Maine and drive. It'd be 7ish hours assuming clear roads. May or may not be better than an overnight at YUL for you.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I wouldn't worry that much about a snowstorm at YUL. It can happen of course, but airports up north are well-equipped for snow. You won't be able to travel during a major snowstorm, but a couple of hours after it stops, or if the snow is light, you'll be off. In my experience, over the years, I've had way more delays due either to snowstorms in the South (where they have very little snow-clearing equipment) or summer thunderstorms almost anywhere, but mostly in the midwest.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Halifax is a small market so you'll have a bit of a hassle finding cheap and/or direct options sometimes. However, as others have pointed out, Canada has a subset of charter style airlines that don't load their winter schedules until about 6 months in advance, and often don't show up on search engines (but often do . . .). I don't see any options you've presented I'd be worried about for transit. I've heard MIA is a horrible airport but I've never been there. Montreal was a bit dingy the last time I was there but that was a long time ago now.

Go straight to the skyservice and air transat web sites to see if you can find anything direct that works.

Warning - been to Halifax 3 times in my life, delayed all three times by fog . . .
Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Yep, I've actually booked a concierge room there. Great reviews.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Usually snow isn't a huge issue, ice is more so, so I'd personally be more comfortable with a YUL or YYZ transit than CLT, ORD, etc at that time of the year. However, I've done loads of December and January flights and only encountered serious issues/delays a small handful of times. Unless you absolutely have to be there on a certain day at a certain time, I still choose my routing based on convenience.

Something else you could consider is flying to Bangor, Maine and drive. It'd be 7ish hours assuming clear roads. May or may not be better than an overnight at YUL for you.
I'd drive but you drive on the wrong side of the road
Old Apr 11, 2020, 5:50 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
OP, one option - it will take some time, but you can take Trirail from the FLL station to the MIA station. It'll take a few hours, and but it's cheap. Otherwise, IME, an Uber/Lyft between FLL/MIA will be about $50 (taxi closer to $100)

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Sunwing doesn't - it'd be Air Transat's seasonal service from FLL.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. I've decided to take the advice of 'Peter1962' and 'mvoight'.

I'll get the tri rail direct from Fort Lauderdale to MIA(for the price of a song!). Only 43 minutes which is the same if not quicker than driving. Was confirmed by an American friend I managed to get in touch with that traffic would be terrible at that time of year so ruled out a car/uber to MIA. Also, the fact the tri rail goes directly into MIA terminal was a no brainer.

As for the flight, I've re-booked on the direct AA MIA-YUL in J. Again it was reinforced CLT was a zoo during holiday times and delays are very possible and the direct flight would "much much safer". Was able to get an exec room with breakfast at the YUL Airport Novotel for 6000 Accor points + 45CAD. Bargain.

As for the YUL-YHZ its still on the WS Dash8 at 1000 the following morning. Thankfully it's not a very long flight but I'll still try bid for a premium seat if possible. Qantas award bookings is still showing no premium seats available.

Thanks again guys and if God is kind I'll get to visit beautiful America once again.
CJ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.