Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Are (mileage award) web specials booked now still unchangeable / nonrefundable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum

Are web special award tickets booked now covered under AA's COVID-19 waiver, or are they still not able to be changed?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Actually, why would you want to change them. My question is, are they refundable without paying the $150 redeposit fee?

that would the same as changing it, as you can go ahead and book for another day.

If they were, they would have to charge you the mileage difference, even if that means returning or deducting miles.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos
Actually, why would you want to change them.
If changes are temporarily allowed like they always are for normal award tickets, then I could change the dates of my flight without any fee (other than potentially mileage difference).
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by mcrw00
If changes are temporarily allowed like they always are for normal award tickets, then I could change the dates of my flight without any fee (other than potentially mileage difference).
Again, once dynamic pricing started, changing a miles ticket is not efficient anymore, as, like you mentioned, they will automatically end in a mileage repricing. Why not refund taxes and miles back to account and you go ahead and book your new ticket yourself. In the end, similar outcome.

Free change for an award is a thing of the past, when award charts use to exist, as you would want them to open the cheapest award inventory for your new dates and allow you to move the ticket without mileage cost (open T inventory, for examples, as usually there wouldn't be any for the new dates).
Old Apr 7, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
You don’t get the new ticket change fee waiver like you would with a cash ticket purchased today.

If your travel is before 5/31, you’re also not eligible for that other change fee waiver as you had to book before 3/1 to fall under that waiver.

Long story short - the normal rules will apply to you. If your intended travel is 5/31 or before, don’t count on additional waivers being issued. If your travel
is after 6/1, there’s a chance they may extend or issue another waiver but nothing is currently on the books.
mcrw00 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
AA updated the waiver again last night. Newly booked award tickets are still not eligible for a free change, but if you have an existing booking for travel through 9/30, that’s covered.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Are they letting people who book miles web specials change the date to later in 2020 if they retain the same routing? In other words, is the "no change whatsoever" rule for web specials temporarily waived (for new bookings made now)?

Some context around the question: we're hoping to go to Japan in mid June, but whether we can or not obviously depends on the COVID-19 situation's evolution in both the US and Japan. I'm curious if I were to book web specials for June and the situation were not to improve, would I be able to move the award ticket to later in the year without paying $150?

Last edited by mcrw00; Apr 8, 2020 at 10:34 am
Old Apr 8, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
I was told my web special award was not changeable OR cancellable. My flight is scheduled for Apr 26 and I’m hoping they cancel it. Of they don’t luckily it was only 10kmiles and $12
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by geepmaley
I was told my web special award was not changeable OR cancellable. My flight is scheduled for Apr 26 and I’m hoping they cancel it. Of they don’t luckily it was only 10kmiles and $12
Even under pre-coronavirus times they were cancellable. You had to pay the redeposit fee, but you could cancel.

That being said - I hope I am right because I just booked one a few days ago!
Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

The wording of the latest waiver seems to suggest that, like other tickets, a web special award booked now for travel through September 30 would at the very least be cancellable without redeposit fee. It mentions one policy applying to tickets booked up until yesterday that expressly says “award tickets too,” and then below says that new purchases are also covered. So any reasonable person could conclude that award tickets newly booked are also now covered. I took a screencap of this in case AA tries to push back later.

FWIW, I also called in to cancel an award ticket booked months ago for a flight that wasn’t until October, and they redeposited the miles today with no mention of a redeposit fee.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fwfdan
Even under pre-coronavirus times they were cancellable. You had to pay the redeposit fee, but you could cancel.
They’re definitely cancellable just like before. The only question is on the redeposit fee.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Interesting. I have 4 biz saaver awards to DBV and was told I can convert them to saaver biz to LHR for no cost since AA will no longer fly to DBV this summer.

But I can see that the same route is available for web special business at only 42k per ticket. I wonder if I am better protected keeping the 57.5k standard tickets vs trying to save 15.5k per ticket on web savers?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
Originally Posted by stephem
Interesting. I have 4 biz saaver awards to DBV and was told I can convert them to saaver biz to LHR for no cost since AA will no longer fly to DBV this summer.

But I can see that the same route is available for web special business at only 42k per ticket. I wonder if I am better protected keeping the 57.5k standard tickets vs trying to save 15.5k per ticket on web savers?
Make sure you consider the taxes that you would owe on a new award ticket to LHR. Any difference is typically waived if you stick with the old ticket. MUC might get you closer depending on the date.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You book a web special fare, you can cancel and get the miles redeposited without fee if the cancellation was due to flight cancellations, etc. If you can get to a destination within 300 miles of your original destination, they might let you do that using AA metal. Otherwise, web special award flights are not changeable, even for dates.

This has been stated by several web special holding flyers.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 8:00 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by JDiver
You book a web special fare, you can cancel and get the miles redeposited without fee if the cancellation was due to flight cancellations, etc. If you can get to a destination within 300 miles of your original destination, they might let you do that using AA metal. Otherwise, web special award flights are not changeable, even for dates.

This has been stated by several web special holding flyers.
Thanks, I called AA about the DBV flight no longer operating and they at first said 300 miles, but then relented and said how about London? But then immediately I found web specials and so am thinking rahter than have the SEA-DBV flights moved to saaver biz SEA-LHR (all AA metal) I was thinking about taking the miles back and use 42k for web specials. One benefit I found of the saavers vs web special is that I can add a BA segment on for no cost to the saaver whereas the web special wont do that. I have Avios so LHR-ATH or LGW/DBV could be had that way for a small amount of cash+avios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.