Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can you use an AA flight credit for a future flight without calling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No expertise with this? What I seem to have is a PNR with funds availlable in it. But there seems to be no way on the website to apply those funds to a new ticket. I guess I will have to call reservations. Does anyone know what happens if, normally, you buy a new ticket that's cheaper than the credit left in your old PNR? Does that remain, or do you only have one shot to use the funds from the old ticket?

It's a shame AA does have something like WN's "Travel Funds" tab -- where you just apply the value of cancelled reservations to your new ticket. I guess there was never previously a need for such a system, as the major airline change fees were so onerous.

Last edited by iahphx; Mar 26, 2020 at 12:34 pm
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
No expertise with this? What I seem to have is a PNR with funds availlable in it. But there seems to be no way on the website to apply those funds to a new ticket. I guess I will have to call reservations. Does anyone know what happens if, normally, you buy a new ticket that's cheaper than the credit left in your old PNR? Does that remain, or do you only have one shot to use the funds from the old ticket?

It's a shame AA does have something like WN's "Travel Funds" tab -- where you just apply the value of cancelled reservations to your new ticket. I guess there was never previously a need for such a system, as the major airline change fees were so onerous.
If the new ticket is less, you get a voucher for the difference. Even if the fees are "onerous", they can still be less than the value of a ticket, and it would be possible for AA to have a system that charges the fee when the credit is used.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx

It is amazing how behind AA is in its user platforms. There are some basic features (like the WN travel funds tab) that has existed for YEARS with other airlines but AA does not implement.
I guess:
1) it is that old consumer unfriendly practice to make something difficult to use with the hopes that the consumer will forget about it and let it expire.
2) IT culture at AA. They have a strong belief that certain things are just "impossible", hence never try to solve them.
Or both?
asnovici and SouthernCross like this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I called AA yesterday to review the status of my 5 outstanding reservations, and was told that yes, you have to call.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redtop43
I called AA yesterday to review the status of my 5 outstanding reservations, and was told that yes, you have to call.
Right. You have a PNR that has funds attached to it. There clearly isn't a way to apply the funds from the PNR to a new ticket on the website. Maybe they'll now figure one out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.