FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Citi AAdvantage Miles Ahead Savings Account (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2013857-citi-aadvantage-miles-ahead-savings-account.html)

CLTRob Mar 21, 2020 10:49 am

Citi AAdvantage Miles Ahead Savings Account

Has anyone taken advantage of this offer? If you have, how has your experience been with CitiBank?

Stripe Mar 21, 2020 11:28 am

I considered the offer and decided I did not need more AA miles, but I'm now reconsidering. Not because I need more AA miles -- they may soon be worthless -- but because I thought I remembered from the original promotional material that the interest rates on the account were guaranteed for 12 or 18 months. In the current environment that could be very useful. However, I threw away the mailer and the current info online says the rate can change even before the account is opened.

I'm thinking I may have just imagined the rate guarantee. Without that I don't see this as a particularly attractive offer.

I have had two Citi cards for some time (AA and Costco) and have no complaints about service. No recent experience with checking or savings though.

bosman Mar 21, 2020 12:21 pm

I signed up. The experience/process was pretty much what I would expect, all online, nothing challenging/tricky. I transferred funds into the account immediately from my bank; it took 2-3 days for the deposit to be confirmed. Received the debit card as promised but no PIN, so I can't validate the card. Not a big deal as I'm not planning on tapping into this account; just let it sit and grow and transfer the balance out when I feel it's run its course.

QueenOfCoach Mar 21, 2020 2:07 pm

I have had good experience with CitiBank in general, in the past years I've had a business account and Citi miles-earning credit card.

They have resolved every issue to my satisfaction.

On the other hand, I see no need to accumulate miles. I have plenty and I'm having a tough time finding availability for the flights* I need. (YMMV)

*Confirmation at the time of booking. I don't want to play Last Minute Roulette.

Centurion Mar 21, 2020 7:10 pm

It seems the sweet spot for a deposit is $50,000 usd for 40,000 miles. Otherwise you need $200,000. For 50,000 miles

bosman May 2, 2020 6:11 am

I signed up in March and just saw my May 1 statement. The interest rate was cut from 1.01% ($10-50k deposit tier) to 0.50%. I do understand that rates are coming down and the offer said (in fine print) that the promo rate is subject to change, but I probably would not have signed up if I knew the rate would come down that soon.

nrr May 2, 2020 6:42 am

Not AA mileage related, CITI Bank up until 5 days ago was offering 3 MONTH CD's @1.01% (minimum dep $500) all of their other terms 6, 9, ..., 5 YEARS were approx. 0.20%; now the rate is 0.75%.
With a CD you LOCK in your rate. I've seen SUPER UP FRONT BONUS promos, but when you read the fine print the interest rate is 0.01% = [1/100 of 1%:td:]
If you don't need miles, Chase, CapitalOne and lots of others have better deals.

ER-One May 2, 2020 7:59 am

Originally Posted by bosman (Post 32342784)
I signed up in March and just saw my May 1 statement. The interest rate was cut from 1.01% ($10-50k deposit tier) to 0.50%. I do understand that rates are coming down and the offer said (in fine print) that the promo rate is subject to change, but I probably would not have signed up if I knew the rate would come down that soon.

I signed up 2/20 with 50k and it was 1.21%.
if it was not for this post i likely would not have caught that it went down to 75pbs.

Also, has anyone received their bonus yet? 4/20 was my 2-month period and i have yet to be credited my AA miles.
if you have, how long did it take?

ceebee100 May 2, 2020 9:14 am

Originally Posted by heelntoe (Post 32342991)
I signed up 2/20 with 50k and it was 1.21%.
if it was not for this post i likely would not have caught that it went down to 75pbs.

Also, has anyone received their bonus yet? 4/20 was my 2-month period and i have yet to be credited my AA miles.
if you have, how long did it take?

We signed up on March 3rd with $50k each. I figured we might was well split the $100k and get 40,000 miles each. Fast approaching 8 weeks as well with no sign of those 40k miles. I believe the mailer said to allow 6-8 weeks for miles to be credited, so perhaps next statement cycle.

Centurion May 2, 2020 12:48 pm

If history repeats expect a 1099 issued for these miles from Citibank that values them at higher value than anyone on flyertalk.

svasandani May 29, 2020 4:08 pm

Those who have opened this account and have the Citi AA Mileup card do you get 25% bonus on the base earning of 1 mile/$ at grocery stores or on the full 2 miles/$. Meaning in the end it is 2.25 miles/$ or 2.5 miles/$.

bosman May 29, 2020 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by svasandani (Post 32414313)
Those who have opened this account and have the Citi AA Mileup card do you get 25% bonus on the base earning of 1 mile/$ at grocery stores or on the full 2 miles/$. Meaning in the end it is 2.25 miles/$ or 2.5 miles/$.

Looks like I got the 25% on the supermarket bonus as well as base.

iinedwin May 29, 2020 8:41 pm

I deposited on Feb 20, but has not received any bonus miles yet. Please let me know when you receive your bonus.

bosman May 30, 2020 10:34 am

Originally Posted by iinedwin (Post 32414797)
I deposited on Feb 20, but has not received any bonus miles yet. Please let me know when you receive your bonus.

I assumed the bonus miles would post 6-8 weeks after one hit the 2 month minimum.

kavade Jun 3, 2020 4:39 am

Miles Ahead savings account offer

Does anyone understand what is happening with the Citibank miles ahead offer? I got an email - two actually - inviting me to open a savings account,'but when I clicked and went
to the site, the offer appeared on my screen for a split second then vanished and was replaced with a message - no longer available. I just sold some property and have to put the money somewhere. I would like to put it in this citi savings account, but...they don't seem to want my money. Is the account still around? Anyone know what the requirements are?
Any information gratefully received.