Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Relegated To Cargo [AA flies cargo-only flights]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/19/am...hts-to-europe/

Crazy. These guys are relegated to cargo now. Crazy how everything changes in a couple weeks. Next stop, insolvency I'm afraid.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:32 pm

This is click-bait

Commercial flights routinely fly important cargo

that no one can travel now means that cargo is still necessary.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
This is click-bait

C'mon, it's all doom-and-gloom in the AA forum these days. I'm ready to get back to complaining about lack of PDBs
seigex, Air Houston, Gerbs and 9 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
C'mon, it's all doom-and-gloom in the AA forum these days. I'm ready to get back to complaining about lack of PDBs
agree! One can hope.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:56 pm

Cargo doesn’t get PDB either.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
This is click-bait

The “AA relegated to cargo” thread title from the OP may be a bit clickbaity, but I actually found the TechCrunch article moderately interesting and worth the 90 seconds it took to read it. Indeed, it says in the third or fourth paragraph that passenger airlines routinely carry cargo; it’s not like that was hidden.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There are some routes where cargo is so important that they will leave passenger bags rather than off load the cargo.
b00mer89 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:49 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Cargo can’t complain!
GrumpyYoungMan and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: AA - EXP
Is it possible to apply one of my SWU’s to a lucky piece of cargo?
dciolli and gateH15 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
PDBs are only for self loading cargo
GrumpyYoungMan and dcmike like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
Cargo can’t complain!
Cargo also rides more comfortably.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Aside from the cargo jokes, my guess is if self-loading cargo demand does come back, AA will likely keep cargo-only flights in some capacity. There are important reasons why passengers carriers around the world have significant cargo-only operations. Especially if the international passenger networks doesn't expect a rebound to recent levels for decades (or more).

The airline will need to operate differently than before obviously, but to have AA make the transition so quickly is important. I expect additional cargo routes to be announced very quickly - the supply chain is making dramatic changes that need to be supported. I also am sensing we are getting back into just in time inventory again for non-disposable income expenses which may make the cargo boats not so desired.

Would our traditional FT airlines see passengers as not important long-term? Sure, it is possible, but the corporate contracts will eventually demand some routes and options for their employees again that have been removed. I think we feel that much of the new routes announced came via support from such corporate demand (aside from the few weekend only adds).
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA, DL, HH Silver, IHG plat
I'm paying north of $7/kg coming out of asia right now for air freight, and that's if I stay below size restrictions. A lot of what I was moving as rush orders goes on passenger flights as I am usually chasing NFO (next flight out) space since "GOTTA HAVE IT YESTERDAY" is some of our sales rep's motto... It doesn't need PDB, doesnt complain about waiting on the tarmac, doesn't need a gate agent to shoo it along. Freight will make or break some routes profitability for sure.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by rasheed
Aside from the cargo jokes, my guess is if self-loading cargo demand does come back, AA will likely keep cargo-only flights in some capacity. There are important reasons why passengers carriers around the world have significant cargo-only operations. Especially if the international passenger networks doesn't expect a rebound to recent levels for decades (or more).

The airline will need to operate differently than before obviously, but to have AA make the transition so quickly is important. I expect additional cargo routes to be announced very quickly - the supply chain is making dramatic changes that need to be supported. I also am sensing we are getting back into just in time inventory again for non-disposable income expenses which may make the cargo boats not so desired.

Would our traditional FT airlines see passengers as not important long-term? Sure, it is possible, but the corporate contracts will eventually demand some routes and options for their employees again that have been removed. I think we feel that much of the new routes announced came via support from such corporate demand (aside from the few weekend only adds).
I *highly* doubt that AA will fly passenger-configured planes on cargo-only flights (as they’re doing now) once they can put passengers in them. And I also doubt that the lesson AA will learn from this is that they should resume having cargo-only airplanes. There are other airlines that do that well; why should AA get into that business with what would be at most a few cargo planes going agains the enormous fleets of FedEx, Atlas, etc?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
I *highly* doubt that AA will fly passenger-configured planes on cargo-only flights (as they’re doing now) once they can put passengers in them. And I also doubt that the lesson AA will learn from this is that they should resume having cargo-only airplanes. There are other airlines that do that well; why should AA get into that business with what would be at most a few cargo planes going agains the enormous fleets of FedEx, Atlas, etc?
Well guess what: They just did

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.