Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connection through LHR on unlinked PNRs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by tacostuff
2. On the way back, if my CDG-LHR flight takes a delay and I miss my connection, will I be protected and put on the next flight to PHL? Or is it just treated as a missed flight and I'm on my own?
Others have already answered this, but I'll throw in my anecdotal experiences with self connecting itineraries. First of all, I have never missed a flight because of this, so I do not have any experience with trying to get rebooked on a separate carrier. I like to leave a very long layover in between flights, preferably overnight. While this does force either paying for a hotel or camping out inside the airport, it leaves a lot of room for delays.

If a long layover is not feasible, I like to watch the incoming flight's performance for awhile to see how likely it is to be delayed. I once did a 3.5 hour self connection in CDG, flying into CDG on Saudia from Jeddah, and departing CDG on United to IAD. These are two completely separate airlines and even different alliances. Saudia and United have absolutely no connection whatsoever to each other. However, I watched the Saudia flight for a few weeks, and I saw that it was virtually always on time, or at least close enough to not cause a problem with making the UA flight. CDG is one of the worst airports for connecting that I've ever used, so my itinerary also had that against it. I had to change terminals.

Yes, it was a risk, but given the circumstances, it was a risk that I was willing to take. The only other options were to either pay a lot more and connect somewhere else or to schedule a full day (+3.5 hours) in Paris. Thankfully, it worked out perfectly! The SV flight was right on time, and while it took about an hour and a half from deboarding the SV flight to arriving at the UA gate, it was plenty of time. I didn't have any checked luggage, and I was able to check in to my UA flight on my phone so I had my boarding pass upon arrival in CDG.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tacostuff
I have a round trip from PHL to LHR on AA metal with an AA flight number. I'm then buying a separate round trip from LHR to CDG on BA metal but will be on either AA flight number or BA flight number. Basically, I'm buying a nested LHR-CDG ticket inside of my PHL-LHR ticket because it is cheaper than flying on a single round trip PHL-LHR-CDG ticket. I have a few questions:

1. I will have no checked luggage. Am I correct that when I get to LHR, it would feel like a normal transit through LHR? Would I just show my boarding pass for my onward flight to get through security without having to "enter" the UK and then go to security?

2. On the way back, if my CDG-LHR flight takes a delay and I miss my connection, will I be protected and put on the next flight to PHL? Or is it just treated as a missed flight and I'm on my own?

3. If I decide to check a bag, will AA through-check my bag (PHL-LHR-CDG) so I don't need to get it and recheck it in LHR?
Your BA flight will not have an AA number. Separately bought tickets don't.

1. You can either go landside and head over to T5 or you can follow the flight connections route. Allow up to an hour for this. I would leave at least four hours between scheduled arrival and departure.

2. You are most likely on your own. AA may put you on a later flight but their previous policy does not seem to be active any more. Assume you'll have to open your wallet.

3. No, neither airline will through check on separate tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.