Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Paying for new ticket using canceled ticket value affecting current waiver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

I had to cancel a non-refundable ticket recently and have some leftover ticket value after cancellation fees. If I book a new ticket now using the value leftover on the canceled ticket, is the new ticket still eligible for the current change waiver if I end up having to change this new ticket in the future? Or are tickets booked this way special in some way that would prevent the new waiver from applying? Note that I am not talking about waiving the cancellation fee for the original booking that was already canceled, I would just like my new ticket to qualify under the current program that waives the change fee if that ticket needs to be changed in the future. Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by cancelreuse
I had to cancel a non-refundable ticket recently and have some leftover ticket value after cancellation fees. If I book a new ticket now using the value leftover on the canceled ticket, is the new ticket still eligible for the current change waiver if I end up having to change this new ticket in the future? Or are tickets booked this way special in some way that would prevent the new waiver from applying? Note that I am not talking about waiving the cancellation fee for the original booking that was already canceled, I would just like my new ticket to qualify under the current program that waives the change fee if that ticket needs to be changed in the future. Thanks!
Yes, the new ticket is a brand new ticket that will be eligible for the current change fee waiver. You are just using credit from a past ticket as a means to cover part of the cost.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes. You are on a new page now, no baggage is carried over from the previous ticket.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Be careful that you are not changing the original ticket. I made a change to an existing reservation and paid the expected change fee.New ticket number but same PNR. This occurred after the new policy went into effect.

Now need to cancel the trip and was told I’ll be charged a second change fee with any residual available for a future ticket.

Wish AA would make it easy to see what amounts I have on account for future use. Especially if changing ticket can result in double cancellation fees versus cancel and then new booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.