Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Extend Status / Low Req’s / Challenges / Promos 4 Coronavirus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Extend Status / Low Req’s / Challenges / Promos 4 Coronavirus?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, National Exec
It depends. If this continues into May, possibly further I would think they would need to do something. My company has suspended all travel like most others so status is looking grim at this point.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Finnair (AA TATL joint venture partner) is extending existing status levels for six months:

JDiver and OskiBear like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:55 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
IHG just announced a reduction in nights required to achieve all statuses.

55 nights now instead of 75 to reach their top tier.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I really hope AA extends our status. My employer just put the total kabosh on all travel until further notice.

I’ve canceled three trips this morning. This is painful.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
extending the qualification period by some number of months would be great and probably more likely than just lowering/removing the EQDs for the year. That said, I do wonder if AAs IT systems could handle such a feat (only half joking).
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ryan182
extending the qualification period by some number of months would be great and probably more likely than just lowering/removing the EQDs for the year. That said, I do wonder if AAs IT systems could handle such a feat (only half joking).
Would it just extend the earning period? So instead of having to hit the traditional increments by 12/31/2020, we would have until 6/30/2020 if it were a six-month extension? Seems reasonable, but still is a bit of a hiccup since a lot of us have seasonal leisure/business travel that wouldn't necessarily be replicated depending on how long the extension lasts. I'd think they would want to do something to reinvigorate travel booking when this is all over and also keep other programs from poaching their flyers.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by enviroian
My employer just put the total kabosh on all travel until further notice.

I’ve canceled three trips this morning. This is painful.
Wait a minute...

You routinely complain about how terrible AA is (and on that I agree with you) and now you are complaining about NOT having to fly three trips on a miserable airline. I'm really confused here. What is painful about the cancellation of three trips that, based on your posts here, were sure to be painful???
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:50 am

Again, would be easier to just extend it for an entire year and bag 2020. Doing so would seal up business flyers — especially since post COVID flying probably won’t be at the same level and these flyers will be more highly prized. I see delta making the first move, but we will see.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I hope they just extend status through 2021. I made Plat last year (yay!) but have not been able to fly at all.

I had a personal trip scheduled Mar 12-15, but cancelled it late in the evening Mar 11.

As for employers forbidding personal air travel, it could happen. My boss called me and gently, politely reminded me of my risk category (age almost 66), my value to the company and what he would face should he need to replace me, even in the short term, or worse. After 20 years of him being the BEST BOSS IN THE WORLD, catching my back numerous times and changing policy to pay for my premium travel after I was diagnosed with arthritis, I decided to follow his polite suggestion.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The real question is what will DL do. If this is relatively short lived maybe an extension of the elite period to obtain status levels. If this is more long term like 2008/2009 then probably incentives to fly.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I really like Finnair’s recent approach....I think AA will come thru with something for us just maybe a little later after we see how this all shakes out in a few months.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dstan
Flip side, if you are able to travel (employers cannot prohibit your personal travel but can prohibit you from returning to work afterwards until after a 14-day quarantine period), there are some cheap flights out there for mileage runs!
Great for personal travel, sucks if you need the EQDs. I missed EXP by $700 last year due to the increase to $15k.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:25 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Talking

Originally Posted by d3vi0uz
...I missed EXP by $700 last year due to the increase to $15k.
That is your fault...LoL.....a $700 EQD-only mileage run is quick and possible even from the smallest of airports!
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by dstan
Flip side, if you are able to travel (employers cannot prohibit your personal travel but can prohibit you from returning to work afterwards until after a 14-day quarantine period), there are some cheap flights out there for mileage runs!
This is why we end up with a pandemic.
ashill likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Finnair (AA TATL joint venture partner) is extending existing status levels for six months:

https://twitter.com/Finnair/status/1238455859384070147
Be nice they also extend the elite qualifying calendar by 6 months as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.