Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Veterans Advantage discount, trigger "Special Fare"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K

There is a 10% discount on AA main cabin fares available via Veterans Advantage VetRewards program(verification of veteran status supposedly required). The site says you have to book on special site "American Airlines for Business". Is anyone using this? It's not a free service, but can be beneficial for people with a lot of travel.

I'm curious if booking via this site and/or discount will trigger "special fare" to go on the distance based PQDs instead of $$ based, same like AA Vacations does. I'd love to fly on AA codes more often, but makes absolutely no sense to do so over JL codes, finding a reliable way to trigger special fares would make that a lot more desirable, at the moment I try to fly long haul on AA codes only if I'll be using SWUs. AA Vacations doesn't work for me since I normally buy my tickets ex-Asia and my destination is in Latin America. Vacations only seems to work if your origin or destination is in the US (or perhaps North America as a whole, I haven't tested it extensively).
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
I suspect those that would be entitled to and are using this discount aren't as concerned about how the fare is classified.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
I suspect those that would be entitled to and are using this discount aren't as concerned about how the fare is classified.
Well, I'm a veteran, so quite entitled to use it, and have held elite status on CO, then UA, now AA of some level starting from the year I got out of the military. I'm sure I'm not the only veteran on Flyertalk or the AA forum who cares how fares are classified.

<redacted> the Veterans Advantage one is much more limited as one should be a veteran to use it and it's limited to economy fares only... I'm just looking for a reliable way to get AA 'special fares' to put my PQD when I fly economy at the same level as when I fly JL.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 27, 2020 at 2:21 pm Reason: Redacted unnecessary personal and unrelated commentary
Old Feb 27, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Well, I'm a veteran, so quite entitled to use it, and have held elite status on CO, then UA, now AA of some level starting from the year I got out of the military. I'm sure I'm not the only veteran on Flyertalk or the AA forum who cares how fares are classified.

<redacted> the Veterans Advantage one is much more limited as one should be a veteran to use it and it's limited to economy fares only... I'm just looking for a reliable way to get AA 'special fares' to put my PQD when I fly economy at the same level as when I fly JL.
​​​​
DVS,

Good possible strategy for earning EQDs.

Might want to take a second look at the reviews of Veterans Advantage. Lots of discussion on their billing practices, cancellation roadblocks, some think they operate on the same business model as SIRIUS/ XM. After reading their reviews- I selected not to become a member.
AAir_head and aztimm like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 27, 2020 at 2:23 pm Reason: Substituted edited quoted post
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
i too have also stayed away from becoming a member of Veterans Advantage. Feels a bit too scammy for my liking.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

I was a member quite a few years ago for the CO discount, which later turned into the UA discount. At that time at least I didn't have any problems with them or cancellation. But certainly understand feeling unease if recent reviews are like that. I'll be sure to use a card with good consumer protection if I sign up then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.