Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Changing Flight date AA without change fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing Flight date AA without change fee?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aadvantage
Post Changing Flight date AA without change fee?

Hey,

New to this forum however i travel quite frequently. I am AA Plat and have a flight today that I would like to change for a later date. Is there anyway I can waive the $200 change fee? Anyone done this or have any tips on how to get this done?

Appreciate all the input in advance!
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Italo
Hey,

New to this forum however i travel quite frequently. I am AA Plat and have a flight today that I would like to change for a later date. Is there anyway I can waive the $200 change fee? Anyone done this or have any tips on how to get this done?

Appreciate all the input in advance!
There are two ways to get a waiver: there has been a significant schedule change or there is a weather waiver in place. The permitted changes are usually just enough to work around the problem, though a big schedule change allows for cancellation. Otherwise the $200 is part of the deal with a discounted ticket and still a lot cheaper than buying a changeable ticket.
Antarius and JB OmahAA like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What is the reason that AA ought to waive the fee you agreed to pay?
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by MADPhil
There are two ways to get a waiver: there has been a significant schedule change or there is a weather waiver in place. The permitted changes are usually just enough to work around the problem, though a big schedule change allows for cancellation. Otherwise the $200 is part of the deal with a discounted ticket and still a lot cheaper than buying a changeable ticket.
Since the OP is set to travel today he's pretty much out of luck. He could call AA and plead his case but I wouldn't hope for much. To the OP if the residual value of the ticket is more than $200 call now if you know you're not going to make the flight, do not wait until after the flight would have departed. If it's less than $200 still check in and if you don't make the flight around flight time see if by chance there's a significant delay of the flight. If so, you can call in and tell AA that because of the delay you no longer have the need to travel (like a missed meeting). You will then get a credit for the full amount.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

A third way would be if your flight is delayed significantly and you could claim “trip in vain” because your destination plans had been disrupted. There’d be a lot of serendipity for you to be able to claim that, obviously.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Since the OP is set to travel today he's pretty much out of luck.
OP didn't give us anything to go on but there is just a chance that the current Midwest waiver applies: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp and it does cover today.
JDiver, spongenotbob and JB OmahAA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.