Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Meal Pre-select comes 11 March 2020 to Regional First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Starting March 11 You’ll Be Able to Select Your Meal in Advance On American Airlines Regional Jets

by Gary Leff on February 19, 2020 — link

Regionals have different meals than mainline aircraft because they lack ovens so don’t serve hot food in first class. However that’s coming.

Starting March 11 first class passengers will be able to pre-order on regional flights that offer meal service. That means the earliest travel date to receive a pre-order meal is March 12, since meals can be pre-ordered 30 days to 24 hours before a flight...
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver

Starting March 11 You’ll Be Able to Select Your Meal in Advance On American Airlines Regional Jets

by Gary Leff on February 19, 2020 — link
Sweet, I can now pre-select my granola sandwich ahead of time!
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
So does this mean there will be choices, or only if you preorder? I don't recall ever having a choice on regional, especially at breakfast.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I know some of the regionals have ovens on aircraft like the CR9, I've gotten a hot burger on Skywest on MSP-PSC. This is a great development and I've been very happy with the system on mainline flights.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bchandler02
So does this mean there will be choices, or only if you preorder? I don't recall ever having a choice on regional, especially at breakfast.
There's certainly choices at lunch/dinner. Usually salad vs. sandwich/wrap. I haven't been on a regional breakfast flight for a while but I'm guessing you were probably on a flight with no catering supplier at an outstation.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by bchandler02
guess we'll find out. I always tell them to just give me the fruits and leave out the cereal anyway.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
So AA is adding ovens to RJs so they can serve hot options? Did I read that correctly?
gateH15 and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
So AA is adding ovens to RJs so they can serve hot options? Did I read that correctly?
Same question here. Is the "However that's coming" statement meant to say that ovens will be installed on the RJ's or the meal selection option is coming?
AANYC1981 and JB OmahAA like this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
Same question here. Is the "However that's coming" statement meant to say that ovens will be installed on the RJ's or the meal selection option is coming?
I interpreted it as ovens are being added but this is AA (sorry America West dba AA) after all that will do almost anything to reduce aircraft weight and ovens apparently add significant weight.

DL has been serving warm meals on RJs for years because they invested in the customer experience by having ovens.
AeRoSpaceman, cmd320 and JB OmahAA like this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:39 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
According to the airline, pre-order options on American Eagle flights will include a charcuterie plate, a Tex-Mex salad with adobo chicken, a Mediterranean turkey club sandwich, hot smoked salmon with everything-bagel seasoned potato salad and curried chicken salad on a croissant.
From TPG.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
This, "announcement," leaves me more confused.

According to the AA website (bolding mine):
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ium-dining.jsp
U.S. / Canada / Caribbean & Central America Expand
  • Snack basket on flights over 176 miles
  • Lite bites / meals on flights over 700 miles
  • U.S. meals by Chef Julian Barsotti, acclaimed chef specializing in Italian dishes
  • Transcontinental / Hawaii meals by Sam Choy, James Beard Award winner and creator of Pacific Rim Cuisine

But in the TPG announcement linked above:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...flights-eagle/
Beginning March 11, American will expand its pre-order option to include American Eagle flights that have a first-class cabin and fly on routes of 900 miles or more.
So is it 700 miles or 900 miles? Is it different for mainline or Embraer/Canadair jets?

When I first saw this post, I began to look through some of my flight history, and the only non-mainline aircraft that I remembered having meals was DFW-FCA (and return). This is over 1300 miles, so that certainly makes sense.
But looking at other flights, DFW-LEX, DFW-GSP are over 700 miles, but under 900 miles, and were both on non-mainline aircraft (E175 I believe). No meals were offered (but I think the snack basket was).
I've been offered the snack basket on much shorter flights (heck DFW-GRK generally gets the snack basket and it is only 135 miles)

If they set the standard at 900 miles, I can't imagine that this will impact many passengers (and you'd need to get upgraded more than 24 hours in advance to select a meal).
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
700-899 and 900-1298 miles are two different meal standards on AA. However, there are exceptions where flights under 900 miles get the 900-1298 mile treatment.

700-899 is the "lite bites" option normally which is like a fruit plate or hummus or something of the sort. Full meal only 900+.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aztimm
But looking at other flights, DFW-LEX, DFW-GSP are over 700 miles, but under 900 miles, and were both on non-mainline aircraft (E175 I believe). No meals were offered (but I think the snack basket was).
I've been offered the snack basket on much shorter flights (heck DFW-GRK generally gets the snack basket and it is only 135 miles)

If they set the standard at 900 miles, I can't imagine that this will impact many passengers (and you'd need to get upgraded more than 24 hours in advance to select a meal).
Time of day matters in addition to flight duration.

I've been served lunch and dinner on E75s, when on the appropriately timed flights (no, I don't know the meal windows off the top of my head), on DEN-LAX // LAX-DEN, which posts at 849 miles.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by bse118
Time of day matters in addition to flight duration.

I've been served lunch and dinner on E75s, when on the appropriately timed flights (no, I don't know the meal windows off the top of my head), on DEN-LAX // LAX-DEN, which posts at 849 miles.
LAX-DEN is an exception market that operates in the 900+ window despite being shorter than that.

The best resource to tackle these questions is probably this:
https://viewfromthewing.com/the-offi...-policy-guide/
Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by cmd320
Sweet, I can now pre-select my granola sandwich ahead of time!
Best. Invention. Ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.